Author Topic: Thinking about a Toyota Tamaraw as basic heavy duty transport  (Read 9608 times)

Thinking about a Toyota Tamaraw as basic heavy duty transport
« on: January 19, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »
Pros.......cheap, ready supply of spares  :)

Cons......old fashioned (who cares)....what else  :-\\

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Thinking about a Toyota Tamaraw as basic heavy duty transport
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:28:47 AM »
Don\'t have any answers just questions.  Would you please tell me all you know about this vehicle?  Not 100% sure but think I know what they are.  Are they still available new, and if so how much do they sell for?  I am intrested in a vehicle that can carry the family but can also haul several cavans of rice or etc.  Not fancy or fast just durable.  Does not have to be four wheel drive.
Information and or advise from any one will be appreciated.

:) :)

Arlie:

Offline Mike M.

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 07:14:59 AM »
The Tamaraw is still available, but not normally in a new car center.  You usually find them imported, converted to left hand drive.  The look is like a tin/steel box on wheels with a squared front end.  They are not pretty, but they are exceptionally durable.  You can easily put 7 Americans or 11 Filipinos inside and rock on down the road.  They have 1.6 cc engines- most with over 200K miles, and can be purchased for 100,000, 30-day guarantee.  I see them all the time on the road and seldom notice heavy exhaust smoke.  The ride is stiff and the rear seats are back breakers.  I considered buying one in the past but instead bought a driver owned jeep that had 150K on it.  The jeep now has almost 300K on its tiny, greasy, wire hanging, 4 cylinder motor.  I paid 50,000 for the jeep and can only get 4 americans or 7 Filipinos in it.  If I were to do it all over?  I\'d buy the Tamaraw. My experience only.   Mike M.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »
I also want to build one of these for fun - NCF Blitz based on Suzuki Samuri

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
Some Tamaraws, some less boxy looking than others

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:42:05 AM »
Thank you very much gentelmen for the information and the photos.  I will look into purchasing one of those little puppies when I am there next year or latter this year.  Will leave it at my wife\'s family when we are not there.  Do you know if any one makes a new vehicle which is similar to this.  I am a little concerned about something with several hundred thousand miles on it. I wont have any tools in the Philippines and am getting a little old to be getting out and under.  I know several companies make big fancy SUVs but that is out of my price range.

Arlie

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »
Thank you very much gentelmen for the information and the photos.  I will look into purchasing one of those little puppies when I am there next year or latter this year.  Will leave it at my wife\'s family when we are not there.  Do you know if any one makes a new vehicle which is similar to this.  I am a little concerned about something with several hundred thousand miles on it. I wont have any tools in the Philippines and am getting a little old to be getting out and under.  I know several companies make big fancy SUVs but that is out of my price range.

Arlie

Arlie,

You are possibly looking for something like the Mitsubishi Adventure:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.ph/vehicles/lcvs/adventure/gls.htm

Or the Isusu Crosswind:

http://www.isuzuphil.com/vehicles/crosswind/index.htm

Both have their supporters & critics. They are available new or 2nd hand so should fit your budget.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »
Keith;
Thank you very much for the help.  I looked at both those sights and they both look very promising.  I also googled Suzuki and found something of intrest.  I cant hardly believe how helpful you gentlemen have been.
Maraming Salamat!! :) :)

Arlie

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »
What\'s available in the RP and what it costs, along with reviews. 

Go to http://www.motioncars.com/

On the right hand side click on \"The Ultimate Car Buyer\'s Guide\" and then click on the vehicle of your choice.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 03:49:09 AM »
Does any one have any experience with or information about the Suzuki \"Carry\" known as the \"multicab\" in the Philippines.

??? ???

Arlie:

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Louisville, KY USA

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 05:36:12 AM »
Thanks Jack.  That is what I was looking for.  I might add to it that they are also made and sold in Luzon by Exarich.

Arlie:

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 07:58:52 AM »
Cool!  Do they have a website, or is that I local company?  I like the body style, but the regular multicabs are too small for my big butt (and belly)   ;D ;D ;D   I\'ve seen the larger Isuzu brand, too, but I\'d like to get something in between the two, just for my run around vehicle, when I\'m workin\' on the \"Honey do\" list.   ;D ;D    Let us all know.

Thanks!

Jack
Louisville, KY USA

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 08:11:31 AM »
Jack,

Check out Exarich range of vehicles at:

http://www.freespaces.com/exarich/

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 02:08:58 PM »
Does any one have any experience with or information about the Suzuki \"Carry\" known as the \"multicab\" in the Philippines.

??? ???

Arlie:

I rented one for 3 days on Panglao/Bohol.....NEVER AGAIN.......can\'t accelerate out of trouble, can\'t brake out of trouble, uncomfortable after 10-20 minutes of driving (if you\'re taller than 5\'9\" or heavier than 200lbs) and as another poster mentioned....steering column between gas and break pedal HUGE safety problem in coming off gas and braking heavily.

Initially considered one as they have a funky sort of charm.....but not now

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog