Author Topic: Insurance?  (Read 4517 times)

Insurance?
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:17:01 PM »
Wifey and I were going to buy a 20 year old Pajero yesterday, so we went to inquire about insurance. We went to Maguires, a well respected ex-pat establishment in Angeles.

And it turns out you can\'t get full comprehensive insurance for a car more than ten years old. Nor can you get it covered for theft or damage.

Third party liability seems to be the best they can do, and even then only 200,000 pesos worth.

Anybody know of any company that offers \'real insurance\' for cars more than ten years old?

We never bought the Pajero eventually. The wife of the seller came to meet us so we could check out the paperworks, and apart from being an arrogant, obnoxious, condescending \'upper class\' wannabe, it turned out the car was not registered in their name, nor was there any paperwork to indicate they owned it. They had an \'open deed of sale\', whatever that is,from the previous/real owner, but no name on that either.

Whilst she was gobbing off and showing us how educated she was, I decided to follow my gut and walked out of the deal. So, we are still looking for a car. My buddy has a Chevy van he wants 100k for, but the wife says it is too big for her to drive.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:00:51 AM »
The wife of the seller came to meet us so we could check out the paperworks, and apart from being an arrogant, obnoxious, condescending \'upper class\' wannabe, it turned out the car was not registered in their name, nor was there any paperwork to indicate they owned it. They had an \'open deed of sale\', whatever that is,from the previous/real owner, but no name on that either.

I found MANY sellers like that in the \'trader\' type magazines and newspapers. I think they buy for a fraction of the cost from locals who are hard up on times and then sell again for a BIG profit !

Several had the same attitude as well. I began to think they got this idea that if they act like their item is too good to sell then a westerner would want it even more. Which means I walked away from almost every one...  But I did give one guy P500 for gas because he actually drove to my house to show the car - but it broke down in my driveway ! lol OUCH

Does that van happen to be a 97 or newer Chevy Astro model? I need something like that as my sportscar is too small for shopping with a baby stroller inside as well...

This is an internet clipping of my current model that I need to upsize
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:40:04 AM »
No, no, not \'97, more like \'77. It has an old 305 V8 Chevy motor in it.  ;D

I like the idea of a vehicle like that as I know I can fix any thing on it, rather than have to plug a computer in regularly,  or be told to \'see your dealer\' by a flashing light every time the ash trays are full.

What do local dealers do with all these new wave high tech kotsis? Do they actually have all the electronic analysis equipment required for diagnostics, or do they just hot wire them over the problem?

We try to keep my face out of the picture when in initially looking at a car, so they don\'t see that $$$$$Kano is involved.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »
No, no, not \'97, more like \'77. It has an old 305 V8 Chevy motor in it.  ;D

I like the idea of a vehicle like that as I know I can fix any thing on it, rather than have to plug a computer in regularly,  or be told to \'see your dealer\' by a flashing light every time the ash trays are full.

Try targetting pre \'74 models, even \'77s had moved beyond basic carb, distributor plugs set up       

my \'77 Z28 was a step too far for me to be bothered to work on

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »
What do local dealers do . . . they just hot wire them over the problem?

My vote is with the hot wiring...

Funny thing... I test drove a car and pulled a fuel pump from under the seat.

I asked \"Did you just replace the fuel pump in this thing?\"

The salesman almost crapped his pants.... completely shocked that I picked up a piece of metal and knew what it was.... People like DylanAZ and King H have that little advantage over the average joe - to help is avoid a lemon...

But sometimes I forget things like that are not commonly known.... seems... 2nd nature...

Car ran like crap when it warmed up.... I talked the price down because of that.... all it needed was injectors cleaned and a tank flush....

I thought that was common knowledge also... guess I was wrong - lol
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:20:29 PM »
Try targetting pre \'74 models, even \'77s had moved beyond basic carb, distributor plugs set up       

my \'77 Z28 was a step too far for me to be bothered to work on
My last car in the Philippines was a \'67 Chevy Nova. That was about as advanced as I felt comfortable with.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »
We went to look at another car today. The wife phoned up, the guy told us it was his car, and wifey double checked he had the papers and the car in his name on them.

We got there, the car was great, and we asked to see the papers........

He had an \'open deed of transfer\' from the previous owner, with no name on, the OR was in the previous owners name, and the CR was with his sister, who was not available.  ::)

What was it he had assured us of on the phone???  ::) >:(

We walked.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »
He had an \'open deed of transfer\' from the previous owner, with no name on, the OR was in the previous owners name, and the CR was with his sister, who was not available.  ::)

We walked.

I am wondering if you add a condition of the sale that you will pay once the documents are in YOUR name.
When I got a car I made the same agreement. Then at the last minute they offered a 5k discount if I do it myself....

Hey - an extra 5k discount... of course I took it... but next time MAYBE I will pay the EXTRA 5k... costed taxes, registration etc - almost the same 5k - but I did it myself and was 100% sure it was not a \'pirated copy\' of a registration when I was done  ;D

It needed injectors cleaned and he THOUGHT 100% sure he was selling me a lemon... and wanted out ASAP and to never see me again.

I knew 100% sure it ONLY needed injectors cleaned ($50 at Rapide)

- lol 3 years later its still running.... just can not use CHEAP GAS in some cars...

PS: MINIMUM required by law insurance was about 1200 pesos of that price

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 01:44:31 PM »
I am wondering if you add a condition of the sale that you will pay once the documents are in YOUR name.
When I got a car I made the same agreement. Then at the last minute they offered a 5k discount if I do it myself....

The deal with the Pajero owner was the insurance place would take a copy of the CR to LTO and check it out, then we\'d hand over the pera when it cleared, but then the gobby wife started playing those \'I\'m too important\' snooty head games. So we walked.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 09:11:42 PM »
We had a couple of young guys bring a Toyota round today for us to look at. They wanted 150k, but the car was literally a joke. After some gasbagging with them the wife called me out of hiding in the house, for a look. As I did my rounds they asked wifey what I did for a living. \"Oh, he\'s a mechanic\" said she. Sudden silence from the young guys, as they knew they were in trouble.

I took the wreck for a drive, came back, stepped out and shook my head at the young \'uns. \"No, sorry, not this one\". Second gear whine, steering column was loose, suspension creaked, engine ticked loudly, battery was cracking all over etc etc.

And if you are trying to sell a car advertised as \'cool air-con\', first thing you do is make sure the air-con is working;D

And, predictably, the guys had an \'open deed of sale\' with no name on, rather than the correctly detailed OR and CR.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »
Buy a couple XRM125\'s and let the wind muss your hair...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog