Author Topic: Finally Arrived in Iloilo - searching for long-term rental - suggestions?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline DaGoodLife4

WOW!  It has been a long time coming, but we finally made it to RP.  Arrived Nov 3rd and have been in Manila and Puerta Gallera (White Beach) while awaiting the completion of our SMILE Visa.
Arrived this afternoon in Iloilo and eager to start exploring the neighborhoods and surrounding vicinity for a month-to-month rental.  Would like to meet up with any local expats for meet & greet, as well as a summary to the feel of local neighborhoods.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Dan & Ivy

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Finally Arrived in Iloilo - searching for long-term rental - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
Congrats Dave!  I know you will enjoy every minute of your time in Iloilo.  We have a long-time member who lives there.  I hope Paul pops in to give you his two centavos worth.

Have fun!   :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »
Hi Dan and welcome to Iloilo. My wife and I settled here 10 years ago. Her family is from Iloilo so it\'s no shock we settled here. I am Retired US Navy.
Finding a rental can be challenging here. You won\'t find ads in the paper. What you need to do is physically drive around the neighborhoods and look for the house for rent signs and have a cellphone with you to make contact with the owners.
The nicer subdivisions are Ledesco and Puerto Real in the city proper. There are a few apartments and generally it\'s 3 br 2 ba and the rent is usually p 20k a month with 2 months as security and first month upfront.
If you go out to Savannah Housing there is a glut of rentals. It\'s about 20 minutes past the Sm City Mall in Mandurrio. The location is not so good but there are plenty of furnished and unfurnished rentals there and the rent is cheap. One reason is because it\'s so far out from the downtown area. Good news is it\'s not so far to SM City. I have a friend out there renting a place for P6,000 a month for a 2 br house.

I\'ve sent you an e mail with contact info.

Paul Agey

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »
Thanks Paul!  I knew I could count on you!   :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »
Allways Grey Wolf  ;). I sent Dan an e mail with my cell number and we will be meeting today at a local BBQ place.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:24:48 AM »
Always Gray Wolf  ;). I sent Dan an e mail with my cell number and we will be meeting today at a local BBQ place.

Excellent! 

BBQ?  Oooooooo!  Don\'t keep that place a secret!  Maybe you can give us a report on the BBQ joint after you meet with Dan.   The world needs more good BBQ joints!   ;D   ;D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 11:18:50 AM »
Chicken Ati-Ati Han in Tagbilaran City, just up from the pier is my favorite spot

My girls and family guests pretty much all go for the BBQ  Chicken \'cept for Lyn and I she goes for the beef pochero and I\'m in raptures over their sizzling squid served in a sizzling soy/bbq sauce

Chicken Ati-Ati Han is a chain but there\'s huge differences in each place - underwhelmed by Cebu & Butuan branches

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
It\'s Jo\'s Chicken Ignato. They are originaly from Cebu. Best BBQ around here. More than the usual lemon grass, calamonsi and soy sauce seasoning. 2 locations here. 1 downtown and one 1/2 a kilometer up the street from my house.
If your in Cebu and like Great pizza \"Honduraw\" and Great BBQ at AA BBQ. 8)

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »
Hi Grey Wolf,
Thought you\'d like to know I met Dan and Ivy. W

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
Anyway will be taking them around on Thursday and looking to see what we can find.  They are in good hands  8) .

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 01:29:07 AM »
Anyway will be taking them around on Thursday and looking to see what we can find.  They are in good hands  8) .

Great!  Good job, bud!   :)  :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:31:52 AM »
It\'s Jo\'s Chicken Ignato. They are originaly from Cebu. Best BBQ around here. More than the usual lemon grass, calamonsi and soy sauce seasoning. 2 locations here. 1 downtown and one 1/2 a kilometer up the street from my house.
If your in Cebu and like Great pizza \"Honduraw\" and Great BBQ at AA BBQ. 8)

With one 1/2 click away, I\'d be there at least 5 times a week!   ;D  ;D  Maybe I could maintain my svelt physique by walking each way... twice.  Ha!  :D  ;D  ;D

I\'ve been to AA BBQ in Cebu, right across from Ft San Pedro and you\'ve right!  They have excellent BBQ, and a large selection of different meats.  Really cold beer, too!   ;)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline RDS284

Hi Paul,
I have just joined the site yesterday and I was looking through some of the old posts.
My fiancée lives in Iloilo and I will be arriving there on the 29th of July 2016 and leaving to go back to Australia on the 9th of August 2016.
I was wondering if there is a meeting for expats on Wednesday the 3rd of August at the Langford place café.
If it is I would like to attend.
Thanks very much
Rob.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog