Author Topic: Places in the mountains,near Baguio?  (Read 8076 times)

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
Places in the mountains,near Baguio?
« on: December 27, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »
The wife and I live just outside San Fernando LU.Been here 5 yrs,and the continual heat/humidity is really wearing on me.I really like the climate in Baguio,but the overcrowding-pollution-water issues make moving there a negative.I was thinking maybe there are smaller little towns outside the city?I was considering having a look at Sagada (it's even cooler there) or maybe even Bontoc,but the family says that the NPA is till active in the area.Anybody know if this is still the case,or have a recommendation for a reasonable place to look at?I know the wife would prefer to stay within the "family area",like most other Filipinas.

Living in the smaller communities present their own problems tho I guess..with blaring videoke and noisy livestock tethered to every blade of grass...maybe I would be better off in the city,but my breathing suffers in the high pollution.Plus,I'd like to have a little garden cause all I seem to be able to grow here is impatient.

I dunno.I have come to the point that I don't hardly even want to leave the house anymore,and that is NOT  a good thing.

Any ideas?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Places in the mountains,near Baguio?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »
Maybe La Trinidad valley just north of Baguio?  There are lots of small towns along the roads leading to and from Baguio, but I don't know whether they have the infrastructure you would desire.

Granted, it's hot and humid most of the year all around the Philippines, but I found the coastline of La Union and the Ilocos regions to be cooler, much fresher, less polluted and certainly more pleasant than Manila.  What kind of temperatures are you looking for?

My family and other sources advise me that the Cordillera Mountains are still a stronghold of the NPA, where they take refuge from prying eyes.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
I'd like to take refuge from prying eyes myself.. :D

The problem with La Trinidad is the proximity to Baguio.I would have to find a place a good deal further from Baguio,cause at the rate it is growing it would overtake me in just a couple of years.The climate in Baguio is just about right for me.Still gets warm during the day in summer time,but with the lower humidity it isn't as uncomfortable...and the evenings are really nice.I have a Filipino acquaintance that told me about a planned community going up outside Baguio that might be attractive.I have never been one to think that I should "insulate" myself from the local population (ie move to a "foreigner subdivision") but that may actually give me a small measure of peace and allow me to continue to interact.I will admit that I am struggling a bit.I really thought that after 5 years I would adjust,but it seems it will take me longer still.

We have a nice little place here in La Union.It just gets really uncomfortable for me later in the year.

I guess we should just schedule a day or 2 and go up to the mountains and look around.I have also heard that the NPA is active,just thought that maybe it was old information...rats.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:07:20 AM »
The problem is you can get into the *boonies within 5-10 minutes from the city proper of Baguio.  Little or no infrastructure is common and home sites are all hillsides prone to landslides. 

I did find these ads on Sulit showing home developments in Baguio.  How far "in", I don't know.  I just this moment found this for you.  At least it shows there is some development going on.  The down side is, this is the only development I found.   :(

Good luck in your search!  I hope you find that piece of paradise you long for and deserve!   :) :)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:15:02 AM by Gray Wolf »
Louisville, KY USA

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »
I know what you mean by little to no infrastructure.There certainly are benefits to living in the city,the likelihood that someone would come along and start a piggery next door is remote. ;D We have a niece that knows Her way around Baguio.At some point we may have her go with us and look around up there.

We may have a look at that subdivision that I mentioned earlier...we shall see.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:45:03 PM »
Keep in mind that what the average Filipino thinks of as a palace would often be considered a shoe box to most of us.   ;) :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:12:55 AM »
I know what you mean by little to no infrastructure.There certainly are benefits to living in the city,the likelihood that someone would come along and start a piggery next door is remote. ;D We have a niece that knows Her way around Baguio.At some point we may have her go with us and look around up there.

We may have a look at that subdivision that I mentioned earlier...we shall see.

I would prefer out of the city but I am not worried about pigs.  My Grandpa had pigs out behind the barn.  What I don't like is the idea of the NPA.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:31:07 AM »
I would prefer out of the city but I am not worried about pigs.  My Grandpa had pigs out behind the barn.  What I don't like is the idea of the NPA.

The NPA generally shys away from the larger cities, instead finding refuge in the more "provincial" areas.  Also, they aren't simply a single band of road bandits.  They occupy many areas in the Cordillera Mountains but rarely stick around in any one spot.  They are also known to inhabit areas of Panay Island, near Kalibo.  I'm sure they inhabit more than one island.

A few years back during one of our vacations they had decided to take up residence near Buguey where Tatay and Nanay have their house.  I wanted to visit the farm that year but the family refused to allow anyone to go near Buguey.  Even the Mayor and Chief of police had vacated the town.  The odd thing was that not a single person was harmed during their foray into the Buguey area and many of the townspeople actually offered food and shelter to them, most likely to assure themselves of being treated well.

Some say that they are nothing but bandits, exacting "revolutionary taxes" on buses and cars of the rich.  Others claim they perform good deeds by running out corrupt officials.  I guess it depends on whether or not you're the one being "taxed" at the time. 

It's kinda funny, but where we built the house for our family in Novaliches northern Metro Manila used to be the headquarters for the local NPA.  I've yet to see one and don't really want to.     
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:16:35 AM »
No pigs or chickens for me, lived in places like that, can't sleep with all those farm and domestic animals all over the place or just outside our bedroom window! >:(
Lived in Southern Zambales where we were constantly asked for donations for their NPA "revolutionary tax", that's BS! We moved out of there quick! We don't have any problems like that anymore where we live now thank goodness! I sleep like a lamb! Baaaaa! :o
To live in Baguio would be nice for the cooler weather, but it's getting too crowded and restricted driving wise when road work is in progress or just trying to get around!   
Our area here in Sta Rosa, Laguna the weather is mild to moderate to really warm only during the summer months, we're only a few miles from Tagaytay!   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:37:41 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »
very nice weather here in san juan Batangas except march april and may it gets so hott the ground cracks open if you drop any change its gone deep down.:0

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 03:07:43 AM »
Grey Wolf

Is the NPA active in Ilocos Sur or is there some other group that would be of concern in that area?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 04:00:47 AM »
Grey Wolf

Is the NPA active in Ilocos Sur or is there some other group that would be of concern in that area?

There has been activity reported in the Cordillera Mountains near Abra and also closer to Vigan, just over the Vigan Range during our last visit.  No one wanted to drive me up to the top of the mountain for picture taking because they were afraid they might get stopped for "Revolutionary Taxes".   

There was  also some activity around our family farm in Cagayan a few years back.  There was a corrupt Mayor and Police Chief that got run out of Buguey, Cagayan by the NPA.  The town was not looted and no one got shot.  The NPA did hang around the town for a while, being fed and resupplied by some of the locals, then moved back into the mountains.   
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Big Jim

• The foreigner equivalent of an OFW
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 05:15:27 AM »
No idea what the NPA are like on other islands but my experience with NPA on Leyte is that they take the side of the weak against the unjust. This is not how things get reported in the media though.

So only foreigners who are mis treating Filipinos need worry about the NPA.

On Cebu, they used to collect taxes. They used to stop busses near Bogo. Any busses that did not pay, were burned. I was on a bus with my sister in 2004 that was stopped for taxes. The fact we were on the bus was irrelevant to the NPA. In 2005, I was in a taxi that was stopped by the NPA. They just looked through the window at me and told the driver to go.

However, the NPA on Cebu seem to be finished. The previous Governor of Cebu put out a press statement last year, the gist of it being that the NPA had capitulated.   
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline Lei

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 06:33:34 PM »
The wife and I live just outside San Fernando LU.Been here 5 yrs,and the continual heat/humidity is really wearing on me.I really like the climate in Baguio,but the overcrowding-pollution-water issues make moving there a negative.I was thinking maybe there are smaller little towns outside the city?I was considering having a look at Sagada (it's even cooler there) or maybe even Bontoc,but the family says that the NPA is till active in the area.Anybody know if this is still the case,or have a recommendation for a reasonable place to look at?I know the wife would prefer to stay within the "family area",like most other Filipinas.

Living in the smaller communities present their own problems tho I guess..with blaring videoke and noisy livestock tethered to every blade of grass...maybe I would be better off in the city,but my breathing suffers in the high pollution.Plus,I'd like to have a little garden cause all I seem to be able to grow here is impatient.

I dunno.I have come to the point that I don't hardly even want to leave the house anymore,and that is NOT  a good thing.

Any ideas?
This is an old topic and  I am not sure if the gentleman who is asking for ideas is still looking for one. If he is, this post may help. I live in an upscale subdivision, Suello Village, just outside downtown Baguio. It's conveniently located and believe me the air is still fresh and clean and quiet too. The subdivision has very nice terrain dotted with tall pine trees and offers a panoramic view of the Naguilian mountain. I felt very safe here. I know there are few places for rent here that are  furnished or unfurnished , short term or long term.  I believe they are reasonably prized as rentals here now are sprouting all over Baguio.  I rented  in this same area before I bought my place. I will be glad to help if needed.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
I have a friend and a couple of acquaintances living in Sagada which is actually on my radar. As for climate it is higher and cooler at 5300 feet compared to Baguio. It is not unusual for the temp to drop considerably in the evening dropping down to the low 60s F which is winter to those not accustomed to it. I would equate it to weather in Colorado Springs during the summer.

As for NPA, they say it is possible they're in the area but no sign of them and the old camps are deserted and as stated they leave most people alone.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:57:41 PM by Gray Wolf »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog