Author Topic: Restrictions on RP driving license,  (Read 10095 times)

Restrictions on RP driving license,
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:53:28 AM »
Hi All, on my RP driving license under the heading \"restrictions\" I have printed \"12\" not 1.2, I assume that they mean 1.2 which qualifies me to drive cars up to 4,500 KGS† [1] and Motorcycles\\ motor tricycles [2]. However I was surprised to see that I can\'t drive Automatic cars† [groups 4 and 5], In the UK a full manual [ stick shift] license covers you for automatic cars. If I havenít made a mistake with this assumption, any body applying for a RP license who intends to drive an automatic car ,should make it known to the LTO officer on their application so they can have class 4 or 5 added.

John

Re: Restrictions on RP driving license,
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:32:52 PM »
Hi John,

I have been driving in the Philippines for more than 9 years manual and automatic cars with restriction 2 on my Filipino driving license. I believe that restriction 2 allows you to drive all kind of vehicles up to 4500 kgs (manual or automatic). On the other hand, the owner of a license with restriction 4 is only allowed to drive cars fitted with automatic clutch.
In the Philippines, one can learn how to drive on automatic car then will get a license valids for automatic car only.

Regards,

Jean-Marc

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »
Give that man a cigar! You are spot on Jean-Marc. The restrictions are 1 and 2 not 12 and yes I also drive an automatic. So keep on trucking :D

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »
Hi John,

I believe that restriction 2 allows you to drive all kind of vehicles up to 4500 kgs (manual or automatic). On the other hand, the owner of a license with restriction 4 is only allowed to drive cars fitted with automatic clutch.
In the Philippines, one can learn how to drive on automatic car then will get a license valids for automatic car only.

Regards,

Jean-Marc

This is interesting and has made me look at my license , which also has 12. Reading the restrictions on the back I would have expected to also have 4 to drive an automatic. While I would not dispute your interpretation, I wonder how a policeman would interpret it? This is the Philippines, and perhaps would require a contribution to the \'Police Benevolent Fund\'† ;D

Colin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:59:07 PM »
Hi Colin,

While driving in Manila I was asked to show my license to police men at several times... They never questioned the fact that I was driving an automatic car.
On the other hand, I should say that I contributed to the \'Police Benevolent Fund\' at several times too but it was never about my driving license. ;D

Regards,

Jean-Marc
† † †

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog