Author Topic: Getting A Valid Driver License  (Read 5072 times)

Getting A Valid Driver License
« on: April 19, 2006, 06:55:03 PM »
I got mine in Carcar, Cebu. They wanted to see my California driver license and my USA passport. I took a simple drug test (urine sample). No road test. I went there in a multicab and walked in. I had to wear a collared shirt for the 2 photos.

I got a paper temp license. The permanent one came about 5 months after.

Application Fee: 25.00
Conversion Fee: 30.00
License Fee: 180.00
Comp Fee: 52.80

Total (in pesos): 287.80

Valid for 2 years, expires on my birthdate

Offline Rusty

Re: Getting A Valid Driver License
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:51:31 AM »
I got mine in Carcar, Cebu. They wanted to see my California driver license and my USA passport. I took a simple drug test (urine sample). No road test. I went there in a multicab and walked in. I had to wear a collared shirt for the 2 photos.

I got a paper temp license. The permanent one came about 5 months after.

Application Fee: 25.00
Conversion Fee: 30.00
License Fee: 180.00
Comp Fee: 52.80

Total (in pesos): 287.80

Valid for 2 years, expires on my birthdate

Billy,

I was going to post that $287.80 seemed expensive for a license until I saw that it was in pesos. ;D

Rusty

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 01:38:15 PM »
I got my plastic license after only 2 days which includes photo & signature.

Offline PeteinCebu

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 01:24:27 PM »
That is the problem, Billy, when getting you license in one of the outlying towns. They don\'t have the equipment to make the license right there, as they do at Cebu City LTO. I also got mine in a couple of days. But, as often happens, when their printer malfunctions, or the internet connection to Manila goes down, you are out of luck. Then they just issue you the temporary license. Of course, my speedy processing may also have been due to the LTO legal officer being first cousin of a good friend of mine :)
Pete W. Onni
Talisay City, Cebu
Philippines

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:38:55 AM »
Hi everybody!  Here\'s a link to the Land Transportation Office, Department of Transportation and Communications for more detailed information.

http://www.lto.gov.ph/index.html
Louisville, KY USA

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 06:09:18 PM »
I applied for my license on Sept 9th 2005 in Manila, I paid the standard fee of P287.80 plus an \'express\' fee of P2500. This allowed me to wait in an air-conditioned office during the process. I understand that it also saved me taking a written test. I am sure I could have passed it, but there was an enormous queue plus a large room full of people all waiting to do the test and would have taken many hours. I received the plastic card immediately and it is valid until the 30th August 2008, my birthday.

Colin

Offline davestarr

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »
I went to the main office of the LTO in East Avenue, Quezon City on 11 Dec 2007.  Filled up my application (you can download it from the LTO site, mentioned above, to save time), went across the street for drug test and cursory physical, 200 pesos, made two copies, front and back of my Colorado license, two copies of my current visa page in my US passport (6 pesos) , handed in my stack of papers, waited 45 minutes, called up for photo and electronic signature, waited 30 more minutes and was called to cashier, paid 302 pesos, took receipt to next window and was handed my final plastic license, good until 10 Dec 2010.

I see a lot of variations in expiration dates, etc.  Also, the LTO management is actively cracking down on employees who accept \'grease\' money or ad hoc express lane fees .. in the main office they have security cams recording all employees movements and a neighborhood freind who is an LTO Enforcement Officer told me the crack down is real, but at provincial offices, \"Who knows\'?

One thing I haven\'t seen mentioned is the official receipt ... OR.  Always make sure you have it and best to carry in your car ... police will ask for it at times, likewise the OR for your car registration ... nothing is really valid without the accompanying OR ... at least in street cop terms.

It is well worth getting a driver\'s license even if you don\'t intend to drive ... if you want things like a post-pay cellphone, internet account etc. they will ask for ID with a local address and the LTO document serves that purpose very well at a cost of 100 pesos or so per year.
Marilao, Bulacan
0919-231-5625

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:11:46 PM »
Dave,

So nice to see you here, my friend!  I was hoping you would find our new forum.  I would have invited you myself, but I lost your email address when my computer crashed the end of November. 

How are things in Bulacan?  I hope all is well with you and that you are settling in nicely.  My next trip over we\'ll try to get up your way and have dinner together.  I look forward to seeing more of you here on the LinPC Forum.  Give my best to your lovely asawa.

Your friend,
Jack
Louisville, KY USA

Offline up2u

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 08:24:10 AM »
in some countries they keep your origional licence do they give it back here?

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 08:42:26 AM »
I got a permanent license in Davao in 24 hours, complete with photo and with no urine test. All I did was to go to the LTO, show my US license and passport, fill out an application, pay some money (I may have paid over the top to avoid the test), got my picture taken and left with a license. It was a pretty painless procedure. When it came time for the renewal, I sent my driver to LTO with my license and completed application and went there about four hours later to get my picture taken. I was handed the license about five minutes later.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 01:29:55 PM »
Hi All,
     I would like a bit of advice from some of you guys that have been here longer than me. On Feb. 13th I went to Butuan (I live in San Francisco) to get my visa extension. I have been here since Dec. 26th. After doing that I decided to check out the L.T.O. to see what the procedure was for switching my Australian licence over to a Philippine one, I was going to do it another day as I figured I wouldn\'t have enough time. Anyway I was persuaded to start the process then n there. Did my drug and eyesight test, came away with both receipts and then waited until some guy had finished giving aspirants a lecture in Bisayan, (about 30 mins). he then came over to me and checked my valid licence, then looked at my arrival date in my passport.     
     He then informs me that I am applying too early as I hadn\'t been here 90 days, come back on Mar. 20th. Out of curiousity I have just checked their website for the rules (coz I knew that I had seen in LinP3 somewhere that I could change it before then) It states \"Nothing in this article shall be construed to prohibit the licensee for an option to convert valid foreign drivers licence within the 90 days\" etc. etc.
     My problem is that I will find it extremely difficult to be in Butuan around March due to other commitments. Do you think I should take the chance of this guy getting upset with me by going back this month and pointing out the facts, or should I just try and squeeze in the date he said and go back in March?????    Don\'t really know which way to handle this, would appreciate any input. Thanks

Graham 

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »
Graham, i dont think i would challenge this guy in any way...i would tell him the truth that you have two pressing engagements and need his help, perhaps he may let you do the prior stuff and pick them up at a later date.. (or perhaps for a gift he may be able to work you in now)..just tell the truth and feel the way he would go.. ::)
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog