Author Topic: Security guard yields after fatal shooting of American  (Read 3250 times)

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Security guard yields after fatal shooting of American
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:14:48 AM »

AN American, reportedly a retired United States Army member, was shot and killed by a security guard in Banawa, Barangay Guadalupe, Cebu City past midnight Saturday.

Myron Joseph Fran-cois, 57, of Louisiana died of gunshot wounds in the chest and right arm inside the Calderon Compound along Duterte St. in Banawa.

The suspect, 37-year-old Charlie Pilapil Loon who was detailed in the compound by Archangel Security Agency, owned up to the crime.

He said he killed Francois out of anger and had no intention of running away. He even called up police hotline 166 for assistance.

The Mobile Patrol Group confirmed it was Loon who called around 1 a.m. and informed the police about what he did.

Loon surrendered to P01s Melvin Jimenez and Glee Bumaat of the Guadalupe Police Station and surrendered a .38 revolver with four empty bullet shells and two rounds of ammunition.

MORE (don\'t disrespect the Locals!!!)

"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
Re: Security guard yields after fatal shooting of American
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 03:09:15 AM »
\"Interviewed by reporters at the Camp Sotero Cabahug stockade, Loon said he shot Francois for giving him the dirty finger and uttering obscene words at him. \"

Not that i plan on disrespecting locals. But what is the general feeling toward Joe\'s, Americans, Foreigners? I can imagine there is some resentments for us being there.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »
\"Interviewed by reporters at the Camp Sotero Cabahug stockade, Loon said he shot Francois for giving him the dirty finger and uttering obscene words at him. \"

Not that i plan on disrespecting locals. But what is the general feeling toward Joe\'s, Americans, Foreigners? I can imagine there is some resentments for us being there.

I\'ve not had a problem with any resentment.

It may happen from time to time but shooting suggests that the foreigner was asking for trouble......maybe not that much tho\'

Online Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »
I just read the entire story and from what I could interpret, the guard did nothing to provoke the American\'s actions towards him. In fact, the American assaulted him 1st. Did the guard over react? Absolutely and must suffer the consequences for that. He did have cause to call PNP and file assault charges against him which is what he should have done. If the American suffered from PTSD, he needed intervention. Unfortunately, too late. God Bless....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »
I just read the entire story and from what I could interpret, the guard did nothing to provoke the American\'s actions towards him. In fact, the American assaulted him 1st. Did the guard over react? Absolutely and must suffer the consequences for that. He did have cause to call PNP and file assault charges against him which is what he should have done. If the American suffered from PTSD, he needed intervention. Unfortunately, too late. God Bless....

Took the words right out of my mouth. This can apply to other posts even about relationships as well...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »
Good to know.

When i was there i did try to smile a lot to all who i interacted with. But it is unsettling when they don\'t smile back. So i will chock that up to just being shy. It was very strange for me to be a minority as everyone just stares. It took a while but i got used to the fact that no matter how hard i tried i wasn\'t going to blend in  ;D

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 01:14:05 PM »
BC Boy,

Don\'t interpret it as them being unfriendly, when they get to know you the smiles will come, as you become a regular face and they recognise you. You will not be able to stop the smiling. Try a greeting in Tagalog english or Taglish. Just say \"Good Morning Po\" or \"Good Afternoon Po\" or just a simple \"Hello Po\" Po pronounced \"Poh\" is a sign of respect like Sir or Maam. Not sure of the greeting in Visayan but Greg might have it or another from the area. So if in Manila or anywhere on Luzon use it, if further south try the Visayan greeting then watch the smiles.

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »
Maayong adlaw -Good day
Maayong buntag - good morning

Kumusta? How are you

Will be about all you\'ll need in Visayas.....even a wave with the smile works OK

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:50:31 PM »
Good to know.

When i was there i did try to smile a lot to all who i interacted with. But it is unsettling when they don\'t smile back. So i will chock that up to just being shy. It was very strange for me to be a minority as everyone just stares. It took a while but i got used to the fact that no matter how hard i tried i wasn\'t going to blend in  ;D

On our trip last year I found the people to be the friendliest I have ever met.  Now keep in mind I already had that mindset from past dealings with  Filipinos in general but never in country.  So when I went over with my wife I was very excited and upbeat and my smiles and greetings were warmly received and returned, with one exception, upon arrival in terminal three, it was all business and I was pushed and shoved and absolutely no smiles.  .  Once out of the terminal, that all changed.  My wife and I had great fun riding the jeepneys.  We let everyone aboard know it was our first ride and after the giggles everyone made a game out of showing us the sites or telling our story to the newest person getting on-board and when they would get off they would say good bye to us.  It was fun.

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 04:18:57 AM »
Good to know.

On our trip last year I found the people to be the friendliest I have ever met.  Now keep in mind I already had that mindset from past dealings with  Filipinos in general but never in country.  So when I went over with my wife I was very excited and upbeat and my smiles and greetings were warmly received and returned, with one exception, upon arrival in terminal three, it was all business and I was pushed and shoved and absolutely no smiles.  .  Once out of the terminal, that all changed.  My wife and I had great fun riding the jeepneys.  We let everyone aboard know it was our first ride and after the giggles everyone made a game out of showing us the sites or telling our story to the newest person getting on-board and when they would get off they would say good bye to us.  It was fun.

Ooops, Terminal Two, not three.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:29:43 AM »
Moral of the story:

1. Try to be good to people - especially those who are just doing their regular jobs

2. Dont push people carrying guns !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »
A random act. Try not to generalize about Filipinos good or bad from these kinds of incidents. Deal with each situation and individual as a unique situation when it arises. I don\'t find Filipinos friendlier or less friendly than the next person. Understand that many lead a tough life and sometimes crap happens. I smile 95% of the time, but hell there are days I feel like crap also and bite (gently).

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 06:40:20 PM »
A random act. Try not to generalize about Filipinos good or bad from these kinds of incidents.

I disagree... with the random act part, but I agree with the do not generalize part

This was not a \"random act\"

The foreigner who was killed was not walking by and just got shot.
That would be a random act.

1. He pushed the gun carrying security guard with BOTH hands in the back as the guard was walking away.
2. He then returned later and cursed the same guard verbally and/or with the use of obscene gestures.

The guard overreacted.. YES... A death was not needed!

But think... who in their right mind physically assaults a man carrying a gun!
And then returns later and insults the gun carrying man again !

But thats the key here \"who in their right mind\"

His fiancee admits he had mental issues. And the guard immediately called police to surrender for the incident.

In light of the initial 2 handed push (aka assault by almost EVERY legal definition i can think of) and the mental history this guard could be looking at a lighter sentence.. if any.

Remember... this is the place where doing a \"beer run\" can cause security guards to start shooting - WITH justification.

\"We\'re not in Kansas anymore, Toto\"

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
I don\'t disagree with how you\'re defining random. I meant it another way.

Still, I\'ve been in Cebu now for 2 months. Most people I see Filipino and Kano alike are just ordinary joes doing their thing. Not looking for a fight. Just getting by as well as they can.

Then one night someone has too much to drink, gets stupid and picks on someone who is probably pissed about something else and before you know it, crap happens. To die because you picked on the wrong person is sad. To kill someone because you were mad at the world and just needed an excuse to pull the trigger is also sad. Any other night the kano would have gone home and slept it off and if he pushed someone else around there\'s a good chance that nothing would have happened. The shooter would have had a couple after work and would have forgotten what it was that made him so edgy and if he hadn\'t been pissed at the world probably would have just shook his head at the drunk kano.

But ... crap happens. Any other time maybe nothing would have happened, but this one time ... well the worst happened. Has nothing to do with anyone being a kano or a filipino. Just got dealt a bad hand that night. I feel sad for both.

There are a lot of posts like this on forums. The implications are that if you are filipino you are this, or a kano you are that. Newbies read these kinds of threads and draw a lot of wrong conclusions. I guess I was trying to address that. Hehe, but it might have been a bad night for me to post. Hehe ... good thing I wasn\'t out drinking.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog