Author Topic: Hand Carry Cash:  (Read 8476 times)

Offline Schat

Hand Carry Cash:
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:23:06 PM »
Good morning,

I will be traveling to the Philippines soon and I would like to know just how much cash (in Euro) am I allowed to take with me to avoid any difficulties from the airport authorities?

Thanks very much appreciated,
Schat

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: Hand Carry Cash:
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:28:36 PM »
There is not really much need to hand carry cash if you have an ATM card from your own country.
Many shopping malls let you withdraw about 700 euro per day.

If you still want to hand carry cash I do remember the customs claim slip mentioned the max amount that can be hand carried in before you are required to claim it by using a second form to announce to the whole world how much you have in your pocket.

All documents I have seen state $10,000 USD

When I searched for Euro it stated 10k Euro

http://www.philfortune.com/embassy.php?id=1033
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline Schat

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
Good afternoon Dylan,

Well, ATM card is a good thing but with a minor setback. The ATM/bank usually gives a lower rate compared to a black market :).

Thanks hon, you have been very helpful, truly appreciated.

Any ideas anyone, on how to handle this carefully? I still would like to take a full amount of cash that is beyond the limit.

Thanks
Schat

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
Schat, in 2004 I came over from the USA carrying $9,900 bucks and believe it, I declared on the paper arriving in the Philippines. On arrival I was patted down and asked what was under my belt, my money I declared. Well the office said, we don\'t want anyone knowing that and on I went.

NOW, many have been killed, (SHOT/KNIFED DEAD), for a whole lot less in this Country! I know of another American that carried $30,000 undeclared bucks. My advise is to NOT be so gullible as I was, PERIOD! Sometimes, I have cold sweats in what I ONCE did living here!

In the USA, if I didn\'t have a \"k\" in my pocket, I was broke! NOT ANY MORE living here!!! 10,000 pesos is my MAX these days! BTW, NO need to carry more around these parts that I can see and I buy most building material in volume with a local checking account.
B-Ray

Offline Schat

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
Thanks B-Ray, fully noted.

I have another question though, probably a stupid one but I just have to ask. Will it make any difference if my partner (a filipino) carries the large amount of cash? Do they treat their own kind different than the foreigners?

Thanks again and good morning,
Schat

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »
Thanks B-Ray, fully noted.

I have another question though, probably a stupid one but I just have to ask. Will it make any difference if my partner (a filipino) carries the large amount of cash? Do they treat their own kind different than the foreigners?

Thanks again and good morning,
Schat

I agree with B-Ray, the amount you would lose with a poor exchange rate is nothing compared to what you could lose, including your life, and dealing with the black market is also risky.

Colin

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:58:38 PM »
What we did was to send money by wire transfer to the land bank of the Philippines in the persons name even though we did not have an account at the time. When we arrived at that branch we presented ID and picked up the money. You would send it in you Filipino partners name and collect it upon arrival, you don\'t have to worry about declaring it at the airport and you don\'t have to be seen carrying large amounts of cash. Also having discussions on the forum or any public location on the web about carrying large amounts of cash is inviting disaster.

Talk about a large amount is one thing, talking about a specific amount is another thing entirely, also we are here to promote the Philippines not find ways to defraud it or work ways around legitimate rules of entry. If you know so much about the black market for money, you don\'t need our assistance as we tend to use banks for all of our financial transactions. We have advised you of the safest way to do it, if you risk your life for the sake of a few pesos, it up to you.
Wayne† ;D ;D

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 11:15:21 AM »
Black market or a store front business! Both, gives a better exchange then banks by a bunch if you have cash! Depending on the business and location, you can arrange a transfer/exchange WITHOUT carrying any cash!† Been there, done that for a LARGE sum getting out of the dollar, some years ago.
B-Ray

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:07 PM »
Black market or a store front business! Both, gives a better exchange then banks by a bunch if you have cash! Depending on the business and location, you can arrange a transfer/exchange WITHOUT carrying any cash!† Been there, done that for a LARGE sum getting out of the dollar, some years ago.
B-Ray

Last year when the dollar was low I was walking through Manila, alone - near the street with all the money changers.... ooh... nevermind.. thats 1/2 of some areas!

Anyhow... walking past these money changers a few offered to change my \"dollars\" for a good rate.

I ignored most of them but one offered something in the range of 48:1 when it was only trading around 43:1 at the time so I entered their storefront....

The \"caller\" was a woman about 50 years old and plain looking with dingy clothing... the woman behind the security window was about 60+ and appeared to be the \"boss\" she explained they can give a good rate because they deal in large volumes...

She then stated she will give me 48:1 so I put a $20 bill on the table.
Then she said the MINIMUM for that rate is $1000 !!!

I exclaimed that NO ONE carries $1,000 in their pocket (well.. except our previous poster -†  ;D† )
SHe then said.. ok.. same rate for $500

I again exclaimed WOW !!! WHO HAS THAT MUCH MONEY !!!

now she says $200 (this is after about 3 minutes of talking)

So I produce two $100 bills which was all I had in my wallet.

She counted out the peso and I watched... all was fine... she then asked me to count it to check... I did... all was fine....

NOW THE TRICKERY !!!!

She held my hand as I was about to leave the window and said something like

OOH _ I WILL WIGE YOU LARGER BILLS SO YOUR WALLET DOES NOT LOOK TOO BIG - and she took the stack of money to a back room without waiting fo rme to say NO

Thenj she came back and counted all 500 notes... she asked me to give a token of thanks to her friend for referring me here.. I turned around to see her friend and when I turned back i got a feeling the money was short...

So I recounted.... with my hands through the window under the little opening - so I dont get accused of \"trickery\" - I never moved my hands from her view under the window....and counted twice... yes... it was short by P1000

She said ok I will count again... IT WAS CORRECT NOW!!! Hmmm...

So now I counted again and it was STILL SHORT 1000 !!!

SHe then snatched the money from my hands, cursed at me and threw my two $100 bills at me telling me to get out of her store !!!

WOW !!!

Catch a robber... and they can get mad !!!

Well.. I guess thats the black market..... they want you to exchange larger amounts to make it easier to slip a bill or 2 out while they are counting....

I was used to 3 card monty tricks from Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco.... I have seen the slight of hand many times before... it was not new to me... and she was pissed for wasting her time on a person who could not be scammed by her slight of hand.

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 01:01:50 AM »
Good morning,

I will be traveling to the Philippines soon and I would like to know just how much cash (in Euro) am I allowed to take with me to avoid any difficulties from the airport authorities?

Thanks very much appreciated,
Schat

Another avenue to explore... Ikobo.com.... they will send you an atm card and you can load it with your cash in pesos, the rate is always better than the banks but a little less than the black market.† Good luck.
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

Offline CanoNoMo

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 01:19:48 AM »
B-Ray

Last year when the dollar was low I was walking through Manila, alone - near the street with all the money changers.... ooh... nevermind.. thats 1/2 of some areas!

Anyhow... walking past these money changers a few offered to change my \"dollars\" for a good rate.

I ignored most of them but one offered something in the range of 48:1 when it was only trading around 43:1 at the time so I entered their storefront....

The \"caller\" was a woman about 50 years old and plain looking with dingy clothing... the woman behind the security window was about 60+ and appeared to be the \"boss\" she explained they can give a good rate because they deal in large volumes...

She then stated she will give me 48:1 so I put a $20 bill on the table.
Then she said the MINIMUM for that rate is $1000 !!!

I exclaimed that NO ONE carries $1,000 in their pocket (well.. except our previous poster -† †;D† )
SHe then said.. ok.. same rate for $500

I again exclaimed WOW !!! WHO HAS THAT MUCH MONEY !!!

now she says $200 (this is after about 3 minutes of talking)

So I produce two $100 bills which was all I had in my wallet.

She counted out the peso and I watched... all was fine... she then asked me to count it to check... I did... all was fine....

NOW THE TRICKERY !!!!

She held my hand as I was about to leave the window and said something like

OOH _ I WILL WIGE YOU LARGER BILLS SO YOUR WALLET DOES NOT LOOK TOO BIG - and she took the stack of money to a back room without waiting fo rme to say NO

Thenj she came back and counted all 500 notes... she asked me to give a token of thanks to her friend for referring me here.. I turned around to see her friend and when I turned back i got a feeling the money was short...

So I recounted.... with my hands through the window under the little opening - so I dont get accused of \"trickery\" - I never moved my hands from her view under the window....and counted twice... yes... it was short by P1000

She said ok I will count again... IT WAS CORRECT NOW!!! Hmmm...

So now I counted again and it was STILL SHORT 1000 !!!

SHe then snatched the money from my hands, cursed at me and threw my two $100 bills at me telling me to get out of her store !!!

WOW !!!

Catch a robber... and they can get mad !!!

Well.. I guess thats the black market..... they want you to exchange larger amounts to make it easier to slip a bill or 2 out while they are counting....

I was used to 3 card monty tricks from Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco.... I have seen the slight of hand many times before... it was not new to me... and she was pissed for wasting her time on a person who could not be scammed by her slight of hand.

dude, thats a awesome story...I sooo look forward to my time in manila now....
ATMs in shopping malls for me...with the exception of some pocket money to get exchanged at the airport
Ain\'t Life a Beach!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 02:41:18 AM »
Dude, thats a awesome story...I sooo look forward to my time in manila now....
ATMs in shopping malls for me...with the exception of some pocket money to get exchanged at the airport

CaNoMo,

I have no problems and get a much better rate by making my exchanges at the larger malls.† Most have an exchange desk with rates posted openly on the wall.† It\'s more secure in the large malls with additional guards close by the exchange desk.† We keep about 5000 pesos for several days of \"walking around\" money.† Sometimes we would exchange $200 if we planned to do a lot of shopping at the street stalls in Quiapo or while traveling to other sites of interest.† Usually, unless you just live in restaurants or bars, 5000 pesos will cover you for a while.†

Don\'t keep it all in one place.† We split ours between Gloria and me, with her carrying the majority.† If someone comes after the \"rich Kano\" they ain\'t gonna get much.† I keep a throw away stash with important looking (but expired) cards and only a few pesos in the smallest bills.† When he goes for that, it will give me a chance to† [strike]grab the closest club, chair, rock, or small but bony Filipino to hit the guy with.[/strike]† run away.

Have fun, buddy!† I\'m sooo jealous!† God, I miss the Philippines...† † †;D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 07:53:08 AM »
dude, thats a awesome story...I sooo look forward to my time in manila now....

Thats a good plan.

NOTE: Carry at LEAST 2 cards from DIFFERENT ATM networks... on rare occasions one of the networks to USA were completely down and I had to use another card to get money. That only happened when I was very hungry or when needing a hotel ;D

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
You dont say how long you are coming for and where you are going.† Generally bring a small amount of notes, use credit card, but make sure no surcharge, no problem if in Manila, and obtain cash from ATM. However if going more remote may be more difficult to find an ATM so obtain the cash in the city. Check with your ATM provider whether there is an ATM withdrawel fee and if so take out larger amounts at one time. Always carry more than one ATM, Credit Card and leave one in hotel safe. If you are on vacation dont worry about minor differences in exchange rates, relax and enjoy yourself.

Offline renocouple

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 12:56:02 AM »
When we had our vacation in PI last June, we did not expect to find a very nice pieace of property on the beach.† So we were not prepared for the cash.† What we did, we tried to send money to ourselves through WU and Zoom.† But both websites denied our transactions for reasons that we are in PI, both websites somehow noticed that our ISP is in PI, while our accounts and cards are US
based... Anyway, we ended up using our Wells Fargo Debit card to withdraw money.† Of course they have limit per day, so we are only allowed to get Php10,000 per transaction, P50,000 a day.† All in all, it took us 25 international transactions x $5 =† $125 charge for the Php 250,000 we put as downpayment!† We should have just brought cash if we only knew that we would find a property... Too late now, but i will definitely bring cash next time instead of using my debit card... But it\'s worth it though!

Pau

Hubby\'s favorite!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog