Author Topic: Dual citizenship and reclaiming filipino citizenship  (Read 28641 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Dual citizenship and reclaiming filipino citizenship
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
Evidently the Philippines didn't care either because her Filipino passport has not one mark in it from our visits.  Only her US Passport was stamped when we arrived and when we left.   ???

"Rules"  We don't need no stinking rules!"   :D :D :) :)

It's better in the Philippines!   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 12:34:23 PM »
Also other things to consider:

Real Estate Ownership

http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/useful-information/land-ownership/

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Philippines-201/2009/9/f/Ownership-Real-Property.htm

http://placefinder01.wordpress.com/tag/balikbayan/

If one is already a dual citizen, there are no restrictions!

What about legally owning and operating a small business?
Kids still in school? There's " the Kano Price" or the " Filipino Price" concerning tuition fees!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:14:17 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »

Real Estate Ownership

Kids still in school? There's " the Kano Price" or the " Filipino Price" concerning tuition fees!

Art....This caught my eye and I can't find where else you or someone might have been talking about it so, I will ask you.  My GF has a nephew who is almost 16 and who is without parents.  He kind of lives out of two houses (my GF's along with her sister and husband) who are two streets over in the subdivision.  The boy's mother had passed when he was three months and who knows where his father is.  My GF pays for the costs associated with his living expenses for day to day and attending high school.  The kid is smart, well behaved, and helps out with things.  My GF intends to pay for his college tuition when the time comes.  Well, maybe she has an idea and maybe she doesn't but I want to help her out with him on that.  Here is my question if you know, and if you would not mind elaborating.   Of course I want to keep low key about it but, then again, stuff does have a way of getting out.  Would you know, is it possible that if the institution found out that I had a hand in it, could the tuition fees skyrocket?  Thanks
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 04:02:17 PM »

Real Estate Ownership

Art....This caught my eye and I can't find where else you or someone might have been talking about it so, I will ask you.  My GF has a nephew who is almost 16 and who is without parents.  He kind of lives out of two houses (my GF's along with her sister and husband) who are two streets over in the subdivision.  The boy's mother had passed when he was three months and who knows where his father is.  My GF pays for the costs associated with his living expenses for day to day and attending high school.  The kid is smart, well behaved, and helps out with things.  My GF intends to pay for his college tuition when the time comes.  Well, maybe she has an idea and maybe she doesn't but I want to help her out with him on that.  Here is my question if you know, and if you would not mind elaborating.   Of course I want to keep low key about it but, then again, stuff does have a way of getting out.  Would you know, is it possible that if the institution found out that I had a hand in it, could the tuition fees skyrocket?  Thanks

We have paid, and are still paying, tuition fees for a number of nieces and nephews. We pay the schools directly so it is known where the money is coming from and there is no increase in the fees. This is true of several different schools.

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »
Colin & Bud,
The main reason why that is concerning tuition fees are what they are, is because they are Filipino citizens and not children of foreigners, which does make a big difference! So, it doesn't really matter where the money comes from when it concerns Filipino citizen's education as long one can afford to pay!
Tuition fees on the other hand for foreign students are much more depending on the school! A neighbor/friend of ours has a daughter who goes to school at La Salle University which she requires a student visa permit since she is not a Filipino citizen, because she was born in the U.S. to U.S. Citizen Filipino parents! Also she has to take an entrance exam and pass before getting accepted into the University! So, "the Kano Price" is probably in place I would just assume to attending a private University, but I never asked them! Not my business!
If anyone else out there are in the know and have different opinions or facts, i stand corrected! I'm just saying is that tuition fees are different from one school to another and depending on what courses are being offered!   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:43:34 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »
OK.  Thanks you guys.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 02:14:06 AM »
A clarification is needed.  Some of my posts may have lead some of you to infer that Gloria has reacquired her Philippine citizenship and is indeed a dual citizen.  She is not. and I never stated otherwise.

I agree with Art that 

In the arrival, stay and departure of Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenship, where the Filipino presents a Philippine passport and a foreign passport, the arrival or departure stamp shall be stamped on both passports. In the foreign passport, the immigration officer shall put either of the following notations on the provision for the authorized stay in the arrival or departure stamp:

“PP”- if a Philippine passport is also presented or
“IC”- if an Identification Certificate is presented.   
(MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. AFFJr.  – 04 – 025 dated 14 December 2004).

Since Gloria has not yet been convinced to reacquire her Philippine citizenship, she handed over only her US passport.

I also agree with all the reasons for reacquiring her citizenship and have "preached" that for years.  And when we finally relocate, she will do that.  She may do it this year.  I merely want to point out a possible misunderstanding caused by my comment that Gloria had only her US passport stamped.  Memo noted.   ;D

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:56 AM »
Memo noted! Glad you clarified that!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »
Yeah, sorry 'bout that gang!  I have to read every post and find it hard to not comment many times.  Many of those replies are on side details or details not related directly to the OP. 

Gloria is not yet a dual citizen, but I'm working on her.  Ilocanos are very kuripot and don't spend money until they absolutely must.   ;)

Offline binayadong

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 12:49:50 AM »
Hi Jack,
     Got that impression too that she's  a dual citizen upon reading your replies #5 and #11.  Was it her long expired  Phil passport? LOL.

Offline binayadong

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »
      Coming back from Manila, I will stop in San francisco and and do the Philippine citizenship reclaimation.
My question now is how long is a Philippine passport good for and do i even need it for when we  go to retire there?

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
      Coming back from Manila, I will stop in San francisco and and do the Philippine citizenship reclaimation.
My question now is how long is a Philippine passport good for and do i even need it for when we  go to retire there?

5 years and no  ;D

My wife did not renew her long expired Philippine passport until several years after we moved here.

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »
My wife's first original Philippine passport was good for 10 yrs back in 1988!
(OK, only good for 5 yrs as noticed by eagle eye Colin!)
The new type of passports now have the embedded micro chip in the RP passport like most passports made today! If you apply for your new RP passport in San Francisco, it will take 6 months to process! 
You must travel with both passports and show both passports especially entering the Philippines, because they will be annotated and stamped accordingly by the BI official! The U.S. doesn't care or even asks if you're a dual citizen when returning to the U.S., just hand them your U.S. passport or hand them both passports and see what kind of reaction you get from the U.S. BI official at the airport at your port of entry into the U.S., they're usually indifferent about it! or they may not! ??? :o   

Read past posts here and you will find all the answers to your questions concerning RA 9225: http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=61.0

It only took about an hour for my wife to get her Dual Citizenship Certificate at the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco if your timing is right and all your documents are in order! If not, it could take you all afternoon, even days, weeks or months if you are lacking the required documents they request!   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:14:16 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »
My wife's first original Philippine passport was good for 10 yrs back in 1988!
The new type of passports now have the embedded micro chip in the RP passport like most passports made today!
You must travel with both passports and show both passports especially entering the Philippines, because they will be annotated and stamped accordingly by the BI official! The U.S. doesn't care or even asks if you're a dual citizen when returning to the U.S., just hand them your U.S. passport or hand them both passports and see what kind of reaction you get from the U.S. BI official at the airport at your port of entry into the U.S., they're usually indifferent about it! or they may not! ??? :o   

Read past posts here and you will find all the answers to your questions concerning RA 9225: http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=61.0

It only took about an hour for my wife to get her Dual Citizenship Certificate at the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco if your timing is right and all your documents are in order! If not, it could take you all afternoon, even days, weeks or months if you are lacking the required documents they request!

Sorry to contradict you Art, but my wifes previous Philippine passport also taken out in 1988 was for 5 years. Her current one is also for 5 years. The only reason she got it was for a convenient ID and to prove that she was not a tourist. Philippine passports are not the best for traveling, her UK one is far more readily accepted.

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
OK, it's her U.S. passport that's good for 10 yrs and her old RP passport only good for 5 yrs!
(My error has been corrected that was noticed by eagle eye Colin)! ;)
And as I mentioned, both passports have to be presented to the BI official upon entering/departing the Philippines, it's BofI regulations, but traveling elsewhere, a foreign passport other than an RP one is better to use and or it may not depending on uncertain/unpredictable circumstances!
The only reason why I mention this is, I remember the hijacking of an airplane by terrorists in the 80s, it's listed here in more detail among other hijackings over the years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_hijackings 
The terrorists singled out most of the people with U.S. passports and left the others alone after the plane landed and some were shot and dumped out of the plane onto the tarmac! No one will ever know if it will happen again today to other nationalities and with all this unrest going on today, no one can never tell! Even worst, another 9/11 could possibly happen again with your loved ones on board the plane!
It's still a day and age of paranoia whenever traveling internationally! It's a crazy world out there!
IMO, if one is a Dual Citizen, hide which ever passport apply whenever you can, in countries unfriendly to foreigners or to your own nationality for just in case for obvious reasons I mentioned here!
Just a word to the wise, don't isolate you or your family too much during vacations in certain regions of the Philippines that are prone to kidnappings! Go to this link before traveling in the Philippines:
http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha008.html

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:09:25 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog