Author Topic: Dual citizenship and reclaiming filipino citizenship  (Read 28642 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Dual citizenship and reclaiming filipino citizenship
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 10:19:27 PM »
Coming back from Manila, I will stop in San francisco and and do the Philippine citizenship reclaimation.
My question now is how long is a Philippine passport good for and do i even need it for when we  go to retire there?
Colin already mentioned that RP passports are good for 5 years, but the answer to your last question,
"do I even need it for when we  go to retire there"? The answer is an initial and partial "NO" and "YES" answer, because if you didn't have your RP and U.S. passport, upon entering the Philippines each time, BI officials will stamp only your U.S. passports with a BB Stamp instead of the two "PP" letters with the entry dated on both passports only for yourself! If you don't have an RP passport and have your Dual Citizenship "Identification Certificate" aka an "IC" letter, you can use that to enter the Philippines, but your U.S. passport will be annotated with the letters "IC" meaning you didn't have an RP passport, but only used your "IC" letter entering the Philippines! I don't for how long you can use your "IC" letter without an RP passport to enter and depart the Philippines at other times when you need to leave and enter for some reason! BTW, the two letters "IC"- means with letter only, "PP"- has an RP passport in hand, which also indicates that you are a dual citizen and can stay in the Philippines for as long as you like! Without an RP passport or an "IC" letter you have no proof of your Dual Citizenship, but with an RP and U.S. passport, you can put or file your "IC" letter in a safe place!
BTW, my question to you Carmen is, when you left the Philippines 40 yrs ago, what passport did you use? If it was an RP passport, you qualify for Dual Citizenship under RA 9225!

It's in my previous post here and it's a BOI regulation for Dual Citizens to follow:
http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=13516.msg50600#msg50600   
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:26:59 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 11:23:43 PM »
Hi Jack,
     Got that impression too that she's  a dual citizen upon reading your replies #5 and #11.  Was it her long expired  Phil passport? LOL.

Pasensya po!  :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »
All this stuff on this thread is too confusing for my little brain.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »

Not a problem, since you are not a "former Filipino", nor is your GF.   ;) :D :)

Offline binayadong

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »
Hi Jack,
      Binibiro ko lang ikaw!!!

Offline binayadong

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
I left the Phil on a  Philippine passport (Php 110.00) which was  good for 2 years. When my mother died, 3 years later, I had to renew it, good for another 2 years ($40.00)  I didn't  apply for U S citizenship until after being in the states for 12 years ( upon my husbands' insistence)  I got my U S passport ($110.00) when we were going on vacations outside the country. When it expired, i didn't renew it until  we decided to travel again. We just added 58 pages to our passport good until 2021. $62.00. I know we can go back there as balikbayan but deciding to retire there, I am getting  my dual citizenship so my husband will be on 13A.
      Regarding dual citizenship application, I have all the documents needed as we were married in the philippines and had to have those for the marriage and passport application, (even the U S church marriage certificate). I called SF consulate and confirmed what else is needed and they  said welcome aboard LOL.
      When i was getting my first passport, they were giving me the roundaround so after 2 weeks, I asked  my uncle who was an NBI doctor to intercede, 2 days later, got a call to pick it up. WINK. Got the passport in my married name. Within a week of arriving in the states, I recceived my permanent green card and SS#.  It just seems from post i have read that it was easier and speedier then than now.
     So far have 27 hits on the Belize home listing and 2 direct inquiry.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 07:12:39 PM »

Not a problem, since you are not a "former Filipino", nor is your GF.   ;) :D :)

That is very true.  Although, I see my own set of problems down the pike and then a different set to deal with on her.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »
That is very true.  Although, I see my own set of problems down the pike and then a different set to deal with on her.

All in due time, my friend.  ;)   And remember, we'll be here to help you with any questions you have when that time arises.  Besides, who knows how many rules and regs will change between now and then.  In the last few years I've seen many changes.  ;) :)

Offline Pulalei

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
Well, hello Ashers and welcome to our forum.  May I bid you a good day here from across the pond in the colonies?   :D

My wife reacquired hers last year at the Consulate in San Francisco, California.   Simple procedure.  Cost was $50 US so I would imagine the equivalent in GBP.  File the forms and then take a simple oath.  Quick and easy.  Your husband can also add your children on at the same time so that all three will be dual citizens.  Then you will also qualify for permanent residence in the Philippines on the 13a visa since you will be the spouse of a Pinoy citizen.  Get both in London.  That is the reacquistion of citizenship for your husband and children and also your 13a.  Much easier to do abroad then in the RP.

Good luck!   ;D
Aloha from Hawaii...back from a long hibernation and also I just got back from a 2 weeks vacation in the Philippines. Browsing along, I figured it would take me a while to read all the interesting topics I have missed.

I was born in the Philippines and acquired my US citizenship many moons ago. Back in 2000 when I bought a property in Baguio City and partly financed by a local bank, the bank only required  me to show how I be able to pay my mortgage. Two years ago, I was back in the Philippines and did another real estate transaction at the bank but this time, I was told I have  to be a PILIPINO CITIZEN as a requirement.

I then inquired at the local Bureau of Immigration how to obtain a dual citizenship. I was directed to a lady who works there, gave me a list of requirements and qouted a "steep" fee if I wanted it done fast. I filed my dual citizenship instead here in Honolulu for 50 dollars and yes they  require the  original Philippine passport when you first come to the US. In the absence of the original passport,  a birth certificate from the National Census Registry would suffice. I got my dual citizenship approved in 3 weeks and had an oath taking at the Consulate office.

I have a son who is 22 years old and was born here in the US. He just graduated in college and since jobs is getting harder to come by these days, we thought of him spending a year or two in the Philippines for a graduate degree. I figured a dual citizenship would allow him to avail the same benefits  Pilipino students gets. We live in Honolulu but my son was born in San Jose California and so we were directed to send all the requirements and a fee of 25 dollars to the San Francisco Consulate. It turned out, it was a delayed registration of Birth... not dual citizenship. My son was born BEFORE I acquired my US citizenship...and had to provide proof, his US birth certificate and my naturalization certificate. It was approved in a couple of weeks and we received 1 set of copy from the requirements we sent. We were told we could use the copy as temporary birthCertificate and after 6 months the consulate will send us an original Philipine birth certificate. At this point neither of us had applied for Philippine passport.

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 03:21:37 PM »
Here's some advice on the Philippine Embassy website in Australia. It may be of assistance ..

http://www.philembassy.org.au/useful-travel-tips-for-dual-citizens.html

USEFUL TRAVEL TIPS FOR DUAL CITIZENS. Written by Administrator, Thursday, 17 January 2013

* What documents should a person possess to prove his Philippine citizenship before a Philippine immigration officer?

(For) the Philippine Bureau of Immigration (BI), the following shall be considered as substantial proof of Philippine citizenship: Genuine and valid Philippine passport; and/ or Original Identification Certificate issued by the Philippine Bureau of immigration or by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate.

* What is the use of the Identification Certificate?

The Identification Certificate (IC) may serve as an alternative proof of Philippine citizenship in case a dual citizen is unable to present his Philippine passport when returning to the Philippines. Since issuance of ICs usually takes time, it is advisable for those who have acquired dual citizenship to apply for Philippine passports

* What documents shall be presented by dual or multiple citizens upon arrival in the Philippines?

Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenships are advised to present both their Philippine and foreign passports. Arrival details shall be stamped on both. In case only a foreign passport is presented, the traveler may still be admitted into the Philippines for an indefinite period of stay, provided he presents a valid Identification Certificate.

On the foreign passport, the immigration officer shall stamp either of the following, whichever is applicable: “PP” – if a Philippine passport is also presented, or “IC” – if an Identification Certificate is presented.

* What documents shall be presented by dual or multiple citizen upon departure from the Philippines?

Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenships are advised to present both their Philippine and foreign passports in order to avoid paying the Emigration Certificate Clearance (ECC) fee. This is also to ensure that all arrival and departure records are reflected completely on both passports. Those who had only presented only a foreign passport at the time of their admission into the Philippines may be cleared for departure without need of surrendering a certificate, permit or proof of payment of imposable immigration fees, provided they present, at the time of departure, a genuine and valid Philippine passport or an Identification Certificate.

On the foreign passport, the immigration officer shall stamp either of the following, whichever is applicable: “PP” – if a Philippine passport is also presented, or “IC” – if an Identification Certificate is presented.

If the traveler fails to present both his Philippine passport or Identification Certificate, at both arrival and departure, he shall be assessed an Emigration Certificate Clearance (ECC) fee of P710.00 for using a foreign passport upon departure.

--

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Dual citizenship and reclaiming Filipino citizenship
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
This topic was concerning the Filipino citizen! There is nothing in the rules or policies that has changed here other than the fact that the article above came from an Australian website, because the same article is word for word in the Philippines official immigration website! http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=239&Itemid=37
The only error in the article maybe the mentioning Filipino citizens not requiring an ECC, which doesn't sound right, because as I recall if a Filipino has been in the Philippines I recall for over a year, he/she requires an ECC prior to leaving the Philippines! Example; OFWs, they're Filipino citizens! I just can't find the link where it says that! So why does LBC advertises that they do ECCs for OFWs?

The 6 months to 1 year apply to tourists! 
http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha006.html#Immigrants
Scroll down to Exit Permits
 . 59 days - 6 months Tourist
 . 6 months - 1 year Tourist
 . Permanent Residents

The below links covers tourists, Filipino citizens and OFW's travel requirements and guidelines!
http://immigrationmatters.co.uk/tag/guidance-and-counseling-certificate-gcc
http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1252&Itemid=103
http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/uploads/pdfs/DepartureFormalities.pdf
http://ofwtravel.org/get-your-exit-clearance-early/

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:53:49 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
Art,

ECC is required after 6 months, does not apply to Philippine citizens with proof of citizenship.  Travel Tax after 1 year. 

Chuck
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:45:45 PM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline rayhigh

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 02:34:14 AM »
My question is, what if my wife just renews her Philippines passport before it expires when we are traveling in the Philippines?  Right now, she has both unexpired US and RP passports.  If we forgo the whole 'citizenship reclaiming' issue, how would the RP ever know?  It seems to me, they don't have any way of keeping track of this.

The reason I am asking is that for us, it is a huge and expensive hassle to do this 'reclaiming' since the consulate is a 7 hour drive one way. 

I just don't see anyway they'd ever know, so I'm inclined to skip it.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 02:54:08 AM »
My question is, what if my wife just renews her Philippines passport before it expires when we are traveling in the Philippines?  Right now, she has both unexpired US and RP passports.  If we forgo the whole 'citizenship reclaiming' issue, how would the RP ever know?  It seems to me, they don't have any way of keeping track of this.

The reason I am asking is that for us, it is a huge and expensive hassle to do this 'reclaiming' since the consulate is a 7 hour drive one way. 

I just don't see anyway they'd ever know, so I'm inclined to skip it.
Dual citizenship can be quite expensive. I know.  I just went thru it.  We had to fly to Oahu from Kauai and it cost us almost $500 airfare plus the car rental and the application fee. But to me, it was worth it!

It would be interesting to know if you will be able to just renew your wife's passport. However, I'm not sure if you can do the renewal by mail only. After 5 years, they might want to do biometrics, especially with the new/revised/new color Phil. passport. 
A phone call to the embassy/consulate in your area might shed light on your question.  Please let us know what you find out.  It might help others as well.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline rayhigh

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2014, 02:56:39 AM »
Actually, we will be living in the Philippines by the time she needs to renew it early next year, so she would be doing it there.  IIRC, her passport is new enough so that it is already the new version of the passport.  I will update this thread once we are through the process. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:47:49 AM by Gray Wolf »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog