Author Topic: Dual Citizenship  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
Dual Citizenship
« on: March 20, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »

† †  Can anyone tell me if it would be better for my wife to get her Dual Citizenship here in the US or get it in the Philippines? The problem for us to get it here is that we live over 2500 miles away from the Philippine Consulate for our region. I do not know how long it would take to get one in the Philippines,but I could get it in a day here, we would just have to fly over to L.A., Salve is flying to the Philippines in May or July but if it takes a long ( longer than she will be in the Philippines) time than we will have to get it done in the US.

† † † † † † † †  Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.† Beatle

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
Re: Dual Citizenship
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:16:25 PM »
HI Ray... did she lose her citizenship when she became a US citizen?† † My wife recently got her US citizenship and never had to relinquish her RP Citizenship.† † † I would suggest that Salve plan a stopover in LA or SF and take care of the Dual Citizenship on her Layover.† † I havn\'t heard of anyone getting their Citizenship while back in the RP.. perhaps others can comment.

scott

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »
Which state do you live in? The Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles, CA does \"road trips\" to the other states in their region. Check your Consulate and see if they do the same thing.

Billy

† †† Can anyone tell me if it would be better for my wife to get her Dual Citizenship here in the US or get it in the Philippines? The problem for us to get it here is that we live over 2500 miles away from the Philippine Consulate for our region. I do not know how long it would take to get one in the Philippines,but I could get it in a day here, we would just have to fly over to L.A., Salve is flying to the Philippines in May or July but if it takes a long ( longer than she will be in the Philippines) time than we will have to get it done in the US.

† † † † † † † †† Ray
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:10:47 PM »
HI Ray... did she lose her citizenship when she became a US citizen?† † My wife recently got her US citizenship and never had to relinquish her RP Citizenship.† † † I would suggest that Salve plan a stopover in LA or SF and take care of the Dual Citizenship on her Layover.† † I havn\'t heard of anyone getting their Citizenship while back in the RP.. perhaps others can comment.

scott

Maybe there are new rules now, but certainly at one time you had to relinquish yor Philippine citizenship when taking up a most foreign citizenship\'s. It has always been possible to regain Philippine citizenship in the Philippines. My wife regained hers at the Bureau of Immigration just before I applied for my 13a visa.

Colin

Offline Miss August

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:10:26 PM »
HI Ray... did she lose her citizenship when she became a US citizen?† † My wife recently got her US citizenship and never had to relinquish her RP Citizenship.†
† †
scott

If your wife became a US Citizen after 2003, then it\'s more than likely that she did not have to give up her Philippine Citizenship.

Quote from: Colin
Maybe there are new rules now, but certainly at one time you had to relinquish yor Philippine citizenship when taking up a most foreign citizenship\'s. It has always been possible to regain Philippine citizenship in the Philippines. My wife regained hers at the Bureau of Immigration just before I applied for my 13a visa.

Colin

Colin, you are correct that at one time when you acquire your US Citizenship, you have to relinquish your Philippine Citizenship.

In September 2003, President Arroyo signed the Dual Citizenship bill, Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003 (Republic Act No. 9225). So maybe if you became a US Citizen after 2003, you don\'t automatically lose your Philippine Citizenship.

quote from: http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual_citizenship.html
\"The U.S. government allows dual citizenship. United States law recognizes U.S. Dual Citizenship, but the U.S. government does not encourage it is as a matter of policy due to the problems that may arise from it. It is important to understand that a foreign citizen does NOT lose his or her citizenship when becoming a U.S. citizen. An individual that becomes a U.S. citizen through naturalization may keep his or her original citizenship. However, as some countries do not recognize dual citizenship, it is important to consider it carefully before applying for U.S. citizenship.\"

~August
? Live Well. Laugh Often. Love Much. ?

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:56 PM »
Thanks Miss August...well stated.

Billy,† † The road show to Dallas last year was a fiasco as they didn\'t prepare for the sheer number of folks who would flood the small PNB offices in Richardson.. Folks were literally camped out on the sidwalk to reserve their place in line ..† Ray you could check with the PNB office to see if a return trip is scheduled anytime soon.

Colin.. perhaps if you\'re so inclined you might elaborate a lil more the process your wife took to†regain her†RP citizenship at the BI.† Maybe its easier than going through the consulate office route.† †

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:37:40 AM »

Colin.. perhaps if you\'re so inclined you might elaborate a lil more the process your wife took to†regain her†RP citizenship at the BI.† Maybe its easier than going through the consulate office route.† †

To be honest, we can\'t remenber the details because it was nearly 4 years ago and we have had several problems with authorities here since. The process itself is simple, but you do have to make a return visit and the time involved depends on how many peoples papers in front of yours need to be processed. Sorry I can\'t be more helpful.

Colin

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »
† I called the LA Consulate and they said if we send in the filled out forms with all the required information by mail, when its approved then we will have to go out to LA for a swearing in and get back on the plane and come home.

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.† Beatle

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:09:40 PM »
Spend a weekend in LA.....could be worse.

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »
Would you rather spend a weekend in Las Vegas? Their Outreach Program will be there on the weekend of May 23rd & 24th. If you do this, you MUST make an appointment no later than May 20th. They will overflow with walk-ins.

LAS VEGAS

If you go to Los Angeles, their office hours are from† 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Billy

† I called the LA Consulate and they said if we send in the filled out forms with all the required information by mail, when its approved then we will have to go out to LA for a swearing in and get back on the plane and come home.

Ray

"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline GWG

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »
Are the forms available online?
Does anyone know if there is a Phil Consulate in Atlanta?

Offline Miss August

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »
Are the forms available online?
Does anyone know if there is a Phil Consulate in Atlanta?

There is an Honorary Consulate Office in Atlanta:

Atlanta (Honorary)
3340 Peachtree RD NE Suite 850, Atlanta GA 30326
Tel: 404.239.5747 | Fax: 404.233.4041
Honorary Consul General: Raoul R. Donato
Assistant to the Consulate: Lori Davis

Note: By Appointment Only

List of Philippine Consulate can be found here:
http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/Consulates.htm
? Live Well. Laugh Often. Love Much. ?

Offline GWG

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 02:10:39 PM »
Thanks for the help!!

Offline JT

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »

† † †Can anyone tell me if it would be better for my wife to get her Dual Citizenship here in the US or get it in the Philippines? The problem for us to get it here is that we live over 2500 miles away from the Philippine Consulate for our region. I do not know how long it would take to get one in the Philippines,but I could get it in a day here, we would just have to fly over to L.A., Salve is flying to the Philippines in May or July but if it takes a long ( longer than she will be in the Philippines) time than we will have to get it done in the US.
She can obtain it in one day. Arrive in the morning and have the paperwork completed. The document cost $50.00 and she now is a Philippine citizen after the ceremony. At this time she can apply for and receive her Philippine passport.

† † † † † † † † †Ray

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog