Author Topic: Holiday pics  (Read 3187 times)

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
Holiday pics
« on: April 15, 2009, 04:30:14 AM »

Just a few pics from the hols in March

Festival time;

The wife off to the market;

Jewel,;  our sweet little mistissa
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Holiday pics
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:54:15 AM »
Great pics, Jonny!  That little Jewel is rightfully named, sir.  What a doll!  I can see she\'s gonna be a real heartbreaker one day.   ;)   ;D ;D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
Re: Pics of Maneja Graduation Girl
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:09:12 AM »
Hi All

Post number 5, cant get photo bucket to cooperate.

Our beautiful niece just graduated last week from a two year computer science class and we are so proud of her . She went to school at 6-11 pm at night 6 days a week and work in the fish landing at the fish market from 1am till 8am, counting and weighing fish from the numerous fish trucks, computing it all until finally everything was packed on ice and she could pay off the wholesalers at 8am.

Being still poor she asked my wife to borrow a \"dress up dress\", some jewelry (real) didn\'t want any blink blink, a pair a nylons, a matching hand bag and pair of high heels, and for my wife to do her make up. She was going to some kind  of thing called a ring dance at her college the night before graduation, and no it has nothing to do with a like wedding ring, but I am sure some of you younger ladies who have attended college know what i mean.

Well everyone here says she is the by far most beautiful of all the Maneja women, but a neighbor of mine a 92 year old toothless wise sage man who drinks a bottle of Tandywine Rum everyday for he says it makes his blood thin, told me, my friend, yes she is very beautiful, but one does not have to look any further than her aunt your wife to see from where that source of beauty lies. Now this old guys speaks better english than me, so i don;t think he is as biased as me about my wife\'s beauty

We are just so proud of her, her name is \"Gong Gong\" nickname of course, and the first two photos are of here the last of my beautiful asawa Jennifer.

The Murf

Offline bowlofsopas

• Sr Member
Re: Pics of Maneja Graduation Girl
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:53:37 AM »
Our beautiful niece just graduated last week from a two year computer science class and we are so proud of her . She went to school at 6-11 pm at night 6 days a week and work in the fish landing at the fish market from 1am till 8am, counting and weighing fish from the numerous fish trucks, computing it all until finally everything was packed on ice and she could pay off the wholesalers at 8am.

Being still poor she asked my wife to borrow a \"dress up dress\", some jewelry (real) didn\'t want any blink blink, a pair a nylons, a matching hand bag and pair of high heels, and for my wife to do her make up.

... the first two photos are of her the last of my beautiful asawa Jennifer.

Hi there Murph! Don\'t know what\'s greater: the beautiful story or the beautiful young lady, your niece.... so great, maybe it deserves it\'s own thread. Where exactly is this fish market/port? I\'m sure there are plenty of people overseas and even here in the Philippines who could not be bothered to be as dedicated as that. Send congrats to her from this board member! Maybe, I shouldn\'t forget to also compliment the other lovely lady pictured in your post, \"Mrs Murph\", the beauty of the generation before...

Oh, and by the way Jonnyivy, where is that nice looking stretch of roadside beach in that motorcycle photo...? Somewhere on Cebu? I\'ve got a little toddler girl myself. What a lovely smiling chubby face your kid has... make you feel that everyday is a holiday!!??

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 01:14:56 AM »
The stretch of road you ask about is on the outskirts of the village of Ginatilan. Its on the west coast of Cebu, on the southern tip near to Samboan on the map. Nice area, good sheltered place whch has lots of good eather and of coarse very freindly locals..
In the distance on the left is a small store/cafe where I sit every night and watch the most specacular sunsets over on Negros island, if your in the area, try it out, the owners are a very friendly family.

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline bowlofsopas

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Jonny. It looks like a beautiful spot. What\'s that beach like? Ginatilan sure seems remote from Cebu City. How difficult is it to get to Cebu City? Is there a frequent nearby ferry to Dumaguete on Negros (and if so, how long does it take to get to Dumaguete)? Sorry about all the questions, but it certainly looks a beautiful spot.

Aaaaaahh... sitting back with a drink in the hand, looking across a beach at a beautiful sunset (you lucky dog)... It\'s gotta be paradise!

I notice from the photo how nice the whole area looks. All the times I\'ve been to Cebu island, I\'ve always been impressed by how often I see lovely gardens throughout the villages of Cebu (both north and south of Cebu City - maybe I should keep my comments to the small villages of Cebu island as all major towns have their scruffy spots). They don\'t seem as scruffy as the many villages and towns I\'ve been through in Luzon - although I\'m sure there are plenty of beautifully kept gardens in Luzon (and even more behind closed walls!)

It seems quite a common thing in Cebu... being surprised and charmed by the quaint beauty of well kept properties of the house-proud common people, even though you can see their circumstances are very humble and the family residents barely have two pesos to rub together... better than being repelled by dirty broken unkempt buildings in various stages of disintegration with trash everywhere (...well, there\'s that too to some degree in Cebu province I am sure). Am I misguided, or anyone else notice this, or want to start a thread about various provinces and the way the properties and yards/gardens look? (... a generalization I know, but let\'s try to avoid dividing this along socio-economic - rather than provincial - lines, even though economic circumstances are always relevant... I\'m more interested to see if there is much difference between the cultures of the different provinces...)

The stretch of road you ask about is on the outskirts of the village of Ginatilan. Its on the west coast of Cebu, on the southern tip near to Samboan on the map. Nice area, good sheltered place whch has lots of good eather and of coarse very freindly locals..
In the distance on the left is a small store/cafe where I sit every night and watch the most specacular sunsets over on Negros island, if your in the area, try it out, the owners are a very friendly family.

Jonny

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 05:23:08 PM »
Jonnnyivy & bowlofsopas

i really don\'t know which one to respond to , but i apologize for being tardy with my answers.

Thank you for the compliment about my niece, my god she is the light of my life, besides my wife. I mean every step she takes, she ask my wife for advice, about boys, about dating about \"urges\" which are perfectly normal, but she still remains as pure as the driven snow....

I am not so really naive to think my now wife of 35 looks that good, but the looks my niece got all came from my wife, for I was one blessed Kanok, who came to the the Islands of the RP and stole the pearl of the Orient away from them all. She is my best friend, my mentor , my closest alley, my confident and yes even for a hard ass but getting tired and sick, she is also my protector.

She manages somehow to keep this extended family a float with the least bit of money, I mean we eat like kings and party like royallty, but she will not give her non working , because there is none even 5 pesos for cigarettes unless they agree to clean up the yard clean out some manhok cages are so something for their smokes.

This is a very redundant statement i know but i have to say it, the men on American, British, Australian , German, french, Spanish and what every other culture i have missed are so blessed by finding a good Filipino

wife that your whole attitude about life just changes.

Do I still wear the pants in this family of course i do, I my dreams, for the first time in my life i have found unconditional love not only from a wife but a whole family....i shed blood and lost kids for the USA and would do it all over again with no regrets....but i also know that due to my Filipino wife and her family for the first time in my life i know the real meaning of unconditonal love, and for god sakes that is what i taught in Forensic Psychiatry for 10 yearrs.

the picture of johnnys kid is just to beautiful to even be believe....congrats John.

the Murf

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:23:50 AM »
Bowlofsopas,

The beaches at Ginatilan certainly seem ok for my needs. I know there are some lovely white sand beaches in Philippines, but these ones are with the small pebbles. They\'re kept clean by the locals and the water isn\'t that deep until further out. The store that I mentioned is situated half way between the beach and our house, so its handy to pop in on the way back from a swim.
It seems to be quite easy to get back and forth from the city, there\'s the usual Ceres liner busses (aircon too ) running every 30 minutes or so. The drive by car takes around 3 hours, driving up the east coast and crossing over at Car-car.
I\'ve been to Dumagueti several times by ferry when I visit. Its a simple 20 minute drive along to Liloan (going southerly direction), park the car at the fast craft terminal and 20 minutes later you\'re on Negros. The tricycle ride to the centre is around 15 minutes from the port ( don\'t know the name ) I don\'t know when the last ferry sails if you are thinking of coming to see the sunsets ?? There is also a car ferry even closer to Ginatilan, but I\'ve never used it and I think it takes much longer to sail over. The store has just built 2 small overnight rooms for guests to stay, nothing fancy, just a room with a bed and a fan.
I\'ve become great freinds with the owners over the years, they allow me to run up a tab every day, only paying at the end of the night, instead of carrying money with me all day. They will pull a table and chairs out onto the side of the road for you to enjoy the veiw and serve you your beer whenever your ready.
Your veiws on the gardens in the phils, well I do agree, there are indeed some well developed and landscaped gardens, mainly owned by the wealthier, but I suppose that the derelict looking ones are not as important to the owners as paying for food instead.
Nothing looks better than a clean, well kept garden, but if you can\'t afford to do this, you just make do with what you have.

Murf,...thanks for you kind words about our daughter, and I agree with you about meeting and falling in love with a Filipina,.. makes me wonder, have I ever really been in love before ???

Jonny

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:31:32 AM »
More photo\'s from Ginatilan ;..

Sunset from my favourite seat at the store ;

Troy heading for the store to buy his pals some juice

Cool guy waiting for the girls to come by

Crystal clear waters

Some of the local girls who were always wanting to take Jewel for walks

Hope you like them !!!

Jonny

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 03:38:39 AM »
4 out of 5 wasn\'t bad for an amature like me, heres the one that was missing ;..

Troy heading for the store to buy his pals a drink

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog