Author Topic: Day-by-Day  (Read 33454 times)

Offline boomerang

• Sr Member
Re: Day-by-Day
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »
Now that you asked, from now on be careful what you wish for!  :P

Here\'s my old Post in Meet Your Neighbors if anyone wants to read it. And here\'s my new contribution:

Well, Eda says that “we are probably a boring couple” and reading the Posts here, I can see that this is really true! Here’s how boring we really are…

We married in 1999 and Eda came here that year. She started working on her California Teaching Credentials right away. She began substitute teaching in the Los Angeles, CA schools. She still does this.

I will skip over how I taught her to drive. After replacing 1 garage door and repairing the garage, we agreed for her to find a “real” Driver Instructor. This also saved our sanity and our marriage as mention in other Posts. After 2 years of driving on surface streets, she got a Driver Instructor to start her on the Freeways. Now (with her GPS) she goes anywhere, even to the LAX Airport, Disneyland and Universal Studios.

In May 2006 I retired, we sold our house (at the top of the market), and bought a new house in Tehachapi, CA, about 2 hours north of Los Angeles. It’s a nice small town situated in the valley of 2 mountain ranges and is at 4,000’ (1.22kM) elevation. We get the 4 Seasons. Our temperature now is 70 F (21 C) to 90  F (32 C). In the evening we open the windows and sleep comfortable.

Since June, this is the 1st time in our 10-year marriage that we have been together 24/7 for over a few weeks. Eda’s teaching ended in June and she also graduated with a Masters Degree in Teaching Special Education, so we are spending our days “up the hill”. We’re actually finding out how much we also like each other!

Does that sound strange to you? Well, it’s important to me! In the ‘70s and the 80s I worked all over America building Hi-Voltage tower lines. A Lineman from Iowa, Jerry went with me. We traveled together and worked together. He watched my back and I watched his. In the 80’s we moved to California. Jerry was home every night, not just once or twice a month. Jerry and his wife found out that they really didn’t like being together that much. They just couldn’t get along and didn’t see eye to eye. They had a tragic ending that I won’t go into, but I go visit their graves monthly. Now you know why this is important to me.

(is anyone still awake???)

Day-By-Day

Since retiring, one of my few bad habits is that I still wake up early. I fire up the computer, make coffee and watch the sunrise. Some mornings I will have my Cheerios (yes, I’m a cereal killer) before Eda wakes up. I can hear her moving around upstairs, but when she doesn’t come down, I know that she is looking at her white flowers that bloomed during the night and may be reading a book while listening to the birds in our back yard, which faces the East.

We usually only go out of the house in the evenings. We talk a walk around our town and watch the sunsets. On Fridays we go out earlier and walk to downtown where they have a Farmers Market going. Eda likes to sample the new fruits and vegetables. She found Armenian cucumbers which are quite tasty. She loves her veggies and cooks a lot during the days. Sundays we go out for church, but we scoot back home and stay there.

Some days Eda goes shopping and monthly she goes “down the hill” to send money to our family. We have a niece in Nursing College and others in private schools plus our Condo payment money is due on the 1st of the month. Today Eda went grocery shopping for our monthly supplies. She spent USD 73.00 for USD 160.00 of groceries. She is a Coupon Queen and she will spend 2~3 hours in the store. She knows that I am not into shopping therapy, so she does this alone… hahahaha

In the mornings Eda is tending her flower gardens and the fruit trees she planted. The TV goes on in the afternoon to the TFC Channel and Eda watches a few soaps and the Philippine News. Sometimes I will watch it a little but I spend most of my time just puttering.

But we are not into a rut! One day this week Eda woke me and had a breakfast made of grilled chicken, rice (of course) and hot biscuits with sawmill (white) gravy. There was a cake that just finished that we would have later in the day with ice cream. Eda likes to watch movies and soaps (Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Tagalog) on the computer, and there are nights when she stays up until it’s finished. This was one of those nights…

Well that’s enough for now, don’t you think? Hello??? Hellooooo…

Billy

Hi Billy,
In my humble opinion isn\'t life about how exciting you can make it, but how satisfying you can make it for yourself. According to me is that \"the art of living\" .

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »
Hi Billy,

Lucky for all of us, \"boring is in the eye of the beholder.\"  I think that\'s a famous quote... from Yogi Berra (if not, it should be) ;D

Good move getting Eda a GPS... and teaching her how to use it. Bing calls me about once a week for directions. Like a bad dream, call always starts the same way... \"Sweetie, I\'m lost.\" -- \"Tell me where you are.\" - \"In my car.\" --- I\'m like her straight man, I just never learn to head it off.

Congratulations to Eda on the Masters.  Few jobs (any?) are tougher than teaching.  My hats off to her.

Somewhat like you and Eda, since I retired 10 months ago is the first time in 8 years of marriage Bing and I have been together (and awake) more than a couple of hours a day.  24/7 is different, and \"friends\" becomes more important than \"lovers.\"

As a three time winner in the great American Divorce Lottery, I\'ve learned that the acid of not \"liking\" someone will eat the veneer off that suit of \"love armor\" over time... about 10 years from my experience.  I\'m just sorry I didn\'t meet my Pinay Pie \"best friend\" about 30 years ago (age adjusted, of course), although I guess its always good to save the best for last.  Enjoy your \"Jack & Jill\" time with your best friend.

Thank goodness I\'ve recovered from the \"wake up early\" syndrome.  For months I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I was supposed to be somewhere in the morning that I had forgotten.  That stinks... but it finally went away after about 6-8 months. Hang in there... soon you will be sleeping like a well-fed baby.

Sound like a great \"rut\" you\'re in... hope you and Eda stay in it.  Being home (more or less) all day every day sometimes makes me start feeling like I\'m in a rut.  For 30 years I had been used to being out of town a day or two every week, or all week and weekend if in a trial.  So, about once a month I will load Bing and our four four-legged friends (yes, they are small) into the SUV and just head out, check into a dog-friendly motel and spend the night where ever we end up (or snooze in the back on blankets if we cannot find a place), explore around the area most of the day, then head home.  Silly? Yes, I guess, but it keeps me from getting cabin fever.

Terrific post Billy, thanks.

Tom in Big D   

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
Mr. Lee,

A psychiatrist would have a field day with quite of few of us... compulsive disorder? masochistic tendencies? fear of failure syndrome? plain ol\' crazy? ;D  Crammed 7 years of college and law school into 5, started work 3 days after graduation at 23, and never took off more that 5 consecutive days for the next 34 years -- I think my correct diagnosis is Just Plain Stupid.

I had never thought about your \"virtual age\" concept.  I put a pen to it... I now feel better about myself for having retired at 82.5 virtual years of age. Ahhhh... now I can rest and enjoy it without repressed guilt. :)

Thanks for the Cebu offer... hope we can make it reality some day.

Do you think you will ever make it full time in the RP?  Thats my plan... but the best laid plans....

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
Well guys and gals, I\'m going to set the record for boring on my post. First the easy information:

I\'m a Mechanical Engineer (non-PE, don\'t ask why, had to do with a past marriage), but work more in the Civil Engineering field for the Department of Defense for the last 15+ years. I\'m also a certified railroad inspector...but that doesn\'t get a guy very far in life...lol. I\'m 42 years young, the Mrs. is 38, no children (we are still working very diligently on that issue...lol).  I\'m retired from the military due to medical reasons, and call Battle Ground, Washington home. Can\'t beat that Northwest appeal!  My hobbies, other than diving, are shooting, fishing, motorcycling, and working on trucks...not in that exact order...but pretty close.  In planning our permanent move to the Philippines, we are saving up for a much larger lot than we currently have, and hope to take care of that issue within the next year.   

I\'m a PADI Dive Master, and plan on becoming an instructor in the next few years so that I have the possiblity of making some extra cash when I retire in 5 years.  We have a house near Albuera, Leyte, where I spend my time when I\'m not travelling around the world working for the military. The Mrs. and I met while she was singing in a band in South Korea and I was there on one of my many work tours. I was instantly enamored with her voice and her attitude...and that ended my singles escapade!

Now, for the boring part...my day to day life.

Wake up, eat, go to work, eat lunch, go back to work, eat dinner, exercise, read a little....then sleep and start it all over again each day.

Now, the one part I have to fill in is between all those things I get to wait for in-coming sirens, throw on body armor and head to the bunker to wait for the Ka-booms. Luckily, no close calls or anything like that. Did I mention I\'m in Afghanistan for the next 10 months?  That\'s about all I can say on location...lol.

Before deploying to Afghanistan, my work site was the Netherlands where I worked for the military and supported NATO facilities and activities. Can\'t say too much about that either. Sorry po!

Ok, not much else to say except 30 more days until I\'m in the Philippines for my R&R. Ahhhh...what a relaxing time it will be and not a bottle of Red Horse or Tanduay will be safe!

I\'m enjoying everyone\'s write-ups...we have quite a mix of people and experiences on this board...very refreshing to read how everyone\'s lives are focused on the Philippines and life there.

Thank you all!

Greg  8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline jryals

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 07:33:44 PM »
Like a bad dream, call always starts the same way... \"Sweetie, I\'m lost.\" -- \"Tell me where you are.\" - \"In my car.\" --- I\'m like her straight man, I just never learn to head it off.

I know how you feel my wife is the same. 3 years in the same house and still get asked where we at on the way home.  By the way its the same road we always take to. I love it, I now say, No Ideal guess well find out soon.
Life can be full of happiness if YOU let it in

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 11:02:48 PM »
Mr. Lee,

A psychiatrist would have a field day with quite of few of us... compulsive disorder? masochistic tendencies? fear of failure syndrome? plain ol\' crazy? ;D  Crammed 7 years of college and law school into 5, started work 3 days after graduation at 23, and never took off more that 5 consecutive days for the next 34 years -- I think my correct diagnosis is Just Plain Stupid.

I had never thought about your \"virtual age\" concept.  I put a pen to it... I now feel better about myself for having retired at 82.5 virtual years of age. Ahhhh... now I can rest and enjoy it without repressed guilt. :)

Thanks for the Cebu offer... hope we can make it reality some day.

Do you think you will ever make it full time in the RP?  Thats my plan... but the best laid plans....

Tom in Big D

Tom, I just came across this article how modern life makes us crazy, maybe that is what happened to me.  ;D :D ;D

http://news.aol.com/health/article/what-makes-people-crazy/594443?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl1|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Fhealth%2Farticle%2Fwhat-makes-people-crazy%2F594443

To answer your question, yes, we would like to move full time to Cebu one day and I am waiting another year until I start getting my social security checks rolling and then start making some plans toward the move, and if we do it then it would be sometime after I turn 63 and if I can work out some of my health issues which I am working on right now. We would like to be able to use Cebu as a base for travel around Asia, sort of how we have used Florida for this region, but to tell you the truth, I am having a hard time giving up our lifelong friends here, and firearms have been a part of just about all of my whole adult life, and the fact that I really enjoy shooting and working on guns, and that it is a great stress reliever for me, I am not sure I want to give it up and I would have to find a new hobby to replace it. As for the amateur radio, it would require that I get a reciprocal license to operate in the Philippines and then eventually take a test for a Philippine license. I have done neither so far because of the going back and forth but I m sure it would not be a problem to do. One thing that I have issues with is the fact that a move would take away a lot of the rights that I have now and that I could never become a Philippine citizen in total and gain Philippine citizen rights, no matter what I did and that troubles me, so when all is said and done, I may buy a condo here, we have a villa now, and live in Cebu more and here less or whatever we feel like doing and just go with the flow and how the breeze pushes us. I\'m sooooooooooo confused,  ::)  :-\\ hey maybe that is because of how life in the US made me crazy.  ;D :D ;D
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline boomerang

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 11:56:04 PM »
Hi Tom,

To answer your question no: 1
The last years I worked as an accountmanager for a German manufacturer of contemporary design stoves and fireplaces responsable for the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and UK. Before I did the same job for an Belgian manufacturer only for the Dutch market.
I have been born and bred in that trade as my parents used to be in the same line of business. My father kept telling me once you have soot in your blood you are infected but I never liked to believe him and did before getting serious several other things like scaffoldbuilding on towers in Germany, truckdriving on a regular contract from Netherlands to Iraq v.v., antique dealer in England, on tour through Europe with the only female circus in the world \"Cirque du Barbarie\", etcetera, etcetera..... in fact I did  not lead for some a middle of the road life. On one subject I have to admit with a blush on my face that I can beat you on the number of divorces. I went five times through that ordeal although twice with the last wife after a 21 year lasting marriage 5 years ago. But the positive part of all is it gives a man some wisdom and gives him appreciation. Here in the Phillippines I found at last my compatible counterpart.
My Linda is 39 years and a very intelligent understanding person.

The answer to question 2 :

Netherlands (in a free interpretation) means Low Lands because my country of origin is below sealevel.

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 12:41:58 AM »
Hi Greg,

THANK YOU for doing a job in a place where I\'m happy I\'m not doing it... not to mention I would not have a clue how to do it... even if I knew exactly what you are doing there.

Sounds like that \"retiring from the military thing\" worked out for you a lot like Michael Corleone getting out of the \"family business\" -- \"Every time I want out....they keep dragging me back in!\"

Picking up some extra cash in the RP as a dive instructor sounds like a great way to work a little and have some fun at the same time.  If you set up shop and need a \"second fiddle,\" let me know.  I can\'t dive, but I would make myself useful - I can operate the boat; help out with any pretty Pinay customers who need a little help getting in and out of their dive gear; and keep the refreshments iced down. 

Are you planning to build on the \"larger lot\" in Leyte, or buy a house on a larger lot?  If building, are you planning to wait till you retire in 5 years, or forging ahead next year?  Colin posted (with admin permission) a site on his house building thread that is very interesting if your building - it photo documents week by week a 2 year long house building project near AC:  -http://groups.yahoo.com/group/achouseproject/  -- If you haven\'t checked it out, their building techniques should peak your engineering interest.

I enjoyed your post.  It adds to the amazement of how such a diverse set of people could all be destined (hopefully) to voluntarily end up in the same little corner of the world to spend the latter part of their lives. 

It encourages me to see what an intelligent, enterprising (I\'ll stop there before it gets too deep ;D) group of people are on this Forum... it helps me convince myself that I\'m not totally delusional (or self-deluding, or whacked-out) to believe I can actually one day live in the RP.

BTW Greg - if your day-by-day is boring, then I must be comatose.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Tom in Big D     
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 01:24:12 AM »
started work 3 days after graduation at 23, and never took off more that 5 consecutive days for the next 34 years -- I think my correct diagnosis is Just Plain Stupid.

Sounds like myself... just that I was forced to retire just as the good stuff was happening at age 33 to avoid certain death  >:(
Friends told me how they envy me still getting paid 60% of my not too bad salary for life and how if they were me they would hop on one of my Harleys and ride across the USA... That was my dream too... but having 2 strokes before age 33 kinda puts a damper on things... luckily I had no physical damage and appear to be 100% healthy - which 2 years later was slightly bad news for me... (my nasty insurance package covers physical disabilities for life - and had a 2 year cap on non physical disabilities). Well... oh well... I guess thats all I can say  8)

For now ... I just try to have fun everyday... fun is good.... So if I have a problem - its fixed immediately... I have no choice for health reasons and attempts to avoid stroke #3 while still in my 30\'s - ... Medics still dont know whats going on... but local docs claim I may have had something similar to strokes but different... they have identified a disorder that seems to mainly affect Asian people Brugada Syndrome... Even if thats it - which tests will show in the near future... the only fix I have heard from them is a pacemaker so if I go comatose it will keep my heart beating until I get to a hospital... stroke .. or heart stops beating properly to mimic a stroke ... hmm.. ouch... umm, ya - sucks EITEHR way - oh well.. I will pass !  wheres my SCRABBLE BOARD !

Contrary to what some may believe I really find GREAT satisfaction in solving problems... and fixing things... tuning the carb on this thing here I purchased called a motorcycle (back home its a MOPED), re-wiring the electrical system in my car, making a new \'hackintosh\' - those are all fun things... so thats what I do everyday.... just fix things.... its been that way for years... I can just listen to a malfunctioning car and 90% of the time determine where its problem is.... but all of my professional work and schooling up to an MBA have been technology and law related. Started programming around 1981 on VIC 20\'s, TRS 80\'s PET\'s etc...

Other days I sleep all day... especially the days like now when the words on the screen keep moving because my head is spinning... reminds me of the movie vertigo...  

I had my own column in my past employers ( http://www.ca.com ) magazine and traveled as a Microsoft Certified Trainer / Microsoft Certified Syetems Engineer teaching help desk staff and administrators how to use their CA software. I miss that work... it was not work.. it was just something I did everyday... and they were paying me for it ! Wow nice...
I have volumes to write... but now is not the right time.... so one day... for now .. I just sleep and stuff. Its the best way to keep my head from spinning.... if it spins too long I end up in the ER :)

Ooh ya... I came to RP soulsearching... and got married to the best looking filipina woman I ever met. But she left 6 months later in Arizona after my 60% salary was cut to zero. She said she can make more on her own in New York City with no education by working as an entertainer... hmmm... I cant be mad.. too much stress - hahah...

So I just took some time and remarried into a family I had known for years. Not a supermodel - but then again - neither is Brad Pitt ;) Nice family... everytime we go shopping I meet more of her relatives... geez... must be hundreds of them in every plaza and mall and soo far from Marawai! Well... Her family owns a college in Mindanao - so I may give it a computer lab and training materials to boot so I can do something with my time. I did manage to finally start recording in my music studio this week ! A few neighbors came over and said if they could make music like that they would be doing it everyday ! I think they are right.... so my PLAN is to make some tagalog R&B music my heart is in gothik metal-techno, incense and cloves but that gives some people the heebie-jeebies - just adds to the flavor of my urban music productions...

Hmm.. I will blog the rest.... one day... maybe... too many volumes to write and organize...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2009, 01:38:37 AM »
Mr. Lee,

Thanks for the article... I love the \"protections\" suggested, particularly the last three (walk it off; take time to bask; develop a world view).  Looks like our RP plans will fit right in with curing our mental illness from US life  ;D

It continues to look like dual paths for us.  I also may wait for 62 before going full time.  I can stretch the current assets for a long time in the RP, but it would be nice to have ss as a safety net.  I\'m planning about 8 months in RP and 4 back home till then.  The conflict is... the 4 months here will cost more than the 8 months in the RP.  So, I\'ve got to get rid of the US house and really scale back on the expenses of the US base before the 60/40 plan makes economic sense. 

Do you try to coordinate you US-RP time with the weather? After a lifetime of 100+ summers, droughts and water rationing, I\'m not too sure I\'d mind a monsoon or two. ;D

Loss of various rights - firearms, property, civil liberties, etc., also trouble me... my law license is just a worthless piece of paper in the RP.  The impossibility of maintaining effective control over investments and financial matters, with quick and easy access, within the RP is very concerning.  The lack of safety and integrity of the infrastructure for travel and communication is a big concern because of my desire to travel extensively. Its ironic that many of these \"problems\" are what makes the RP into what it is today, as compared to other destinations, and thus some of what attracts me to the RP.

Lots of others seem to overcome these problems, so I assume I can also.   

We also plan on basing near Cebu City and traveling from there.  Bing has family there that can hopefully provide some house-watching and other assistance while we are away from the area. We plan to rent for first year or so, would prefer a house, but may go condo for security and convenience to expedite traveling.  Eventually would like to build... and would for sure but for the above noted concerns.

I wish I was as far along as you are on this \"adventure.\"

Tom in Big D

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 02:00:09 AM »
... several other things like scaffoldbuilding on towers in Germany, truckdriving on a regular contract from Netherlands to Iraq v.v., antique dealer in England, on tour through Europe with the only female circus in the world \"Cirque du Barbarie\", etcetera, etcetera...

Dang Boomerang - you may win the prize for the Most Anti-Boring Life.  But, we\'ll have to wait till all the contestants have put their applications in. ;D  BTW- can you get me and 100 of my best friends free tickets to that circus?

I can\'t match you at five divorces... but I can throw in one lawsuit claiming to be my Common-Law wife; and one Palimony lawsuit.  Free advice -- Never sue a lawyer unless you have deep pockets... we can wear you down with endless motions, hearings and delays since we represent ourselves for free. ;)

Glad you kept your finger in the dike till you escaped to the RP.

Tom in Big D 
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 02:29:19 AM »
Hi Dylanz,

Had that happen to me once in the early 80s - My money ran out... and so did she. >:(

Sorry to hear you got such a medical kick-in-the-teeth at such an early age.  Pull for the arrhythmia rather than a stroke (yeah, sucky choice)... but you can live normally for a normal life span if a pacemaker is the answer.  Hope it turns out that way.

Sounds like you have a lot of good options going for you in the RP.  To each his own, but the College deal sound great to me... of course, you would have to deal with all the \"school girl\" crushes on the cool professor who makes music on the side. 8)  Uhh... where in Mindanao is the College?

Great post.

Tom in Big D

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 02:52:57 AM »
Sounds like you have a lot of good options going for you in the RP.  To each his own, but the College deal sound great to me... of course, you would have to deal with all the \"school girl\" crushes on the cool professor who makes music on the side. 8)  Uhh... where in Mindanao is the College?

I have not asked them more than 1 or 2 questions total about their schools because im just being cautious not to seem interested and jump in head first - after all - its something that comes 2nd nature to me but at the same time could be my demise  :P

Her Sultan-Uncle was president of Mindanao State University but it seems a recent military promotion sent him in a different direction and as I just glanced at their faculty list it looks like the family are at least 20% of the list. They also have a medical related school in Marawai as well that bears the family name. But I think being married to the sultans niece is enough to keep all school girls at bay... lucky me  :P

If I have to wear those cloth sheik things on my head I plan to get one with some black and gold bands on it and carry an Ankh that can be used as a mosquito swatter.  ;D
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 03:13:27 AM »
Mr. Lee,

Thanks for the article... I love the \"protections\" suggested, particularly the last three (walk it off; take time to bask; develop a world view).  Looks like our RP plans will fit right in with curing our mental illness from US life ;D

It continues to look like dual paths for us.  I also may wait for 62 before going full time.  I can stretch the current assets for a long time in the RP, but it would be nice to have ss as a safety net.  I\'m planning about 8 months in RP and 4 back home till then.  The conflict is... the 4 months here will cost more than the 8 months in the RP.  So, I\'ve got to get rid of the US house and really scale back on the expenses of the US base before the 60/40 plan makes economic sense. 

Do you try to coordinate you US-RP time with the weather? After a lifetime of 100+ summers, droughts and water rationing, I\'m not too sure I\'d mind a monsoon or two. ;D

Loss of various rights - firearms, property, civil liberties, etc., also trouble me... my law license is just a worthless piece of paper in the RP.  The impossibility of maintaining effective control over investments and financial matters, with quick and easy access, within the RP is very concerning.  The lack of safety and integrity of the infrastructure for travel and communication is a big concern because of my desire to travel extensively. Its ironic that many of these \"problems\" are what makes the RP into what it is today, as compared to other destinations, and thus some of what attracts me to the RP.

Lots of others seem to overcome these problems, so I assume I can also.   

We also plan on basing near Cebu City and traveling from there.  Bing has family there that can hopefully provide some house-watching and other assistance while we are away from the area. We plan to rent for first year or so, would prefer a house, but may go condo for security and convenience to expedite traveling.  Eventually would like to build... and would for sure but for the above noted concerns.

I wish I was as far along as you are on this \"adventure.\"

Tom in Big D

You are welcome Tom, yup maybe the article explains a lot about me and maybe about you too.  ;D :D ;)

The dual paths seems to be a good option if we can afford it, and for the time being, I should be able to unless another unforeseen shhhhhh shhhh shhhh it storm hits.  :\'(

and the answer is yes, I try to be here in hurricane alley during the hurricane season because I do not wish to burden friends with taking care of our home and because I have a friend from New York who likes to vacation during the winters of New York and staying at our home saves him and his wife money and gives us a built in house sitter, but the cost of keeping this villa full time and living in the Philippines most of the year does seem too much, so that is why the condo thoughts and why we also chose a condo in Cebu verses a house that would have had to be looked after while we travel or are in the US.

My wife also has family near Toledo Cebu but I prefer locking the doors of the condo and having a friend keep an eye on it rather than the possible family problems of owning a house and having people live there or take care of it and run up our bills. Just one such example and I have many over our 15 plus years of marriage, :\'(  is that years ago I had a phone installed in one sisters house so that my wife could keep in touch with part of her family and they could keep up to date with the rest of the family, and all the neighbors used the phone and we could never seem to get calls to her family.  ::) Also while most Filipinos that I have met are very enterprising and would have used the phone to make money, heck I have even seen some Filipinos charge for text messages in or out, but not her sister who supposedly could not even collect from the people who made long distance calls, so even though we gave her sister money for a year in advance every year, it eventually caught up with them and by April of one year while we were in the Philippines they had no money and expected us to pay the phone bills for the rest of the year. Needless to say the phone got shut down ASAP when we refused, and I the rich kano was the bad guy for not paying what I had already paid for.  ???  While I did not mind helping my wife\'s sisters, but the whole village making calls on me was out of the question. I personally think it was a case of money in one hand and out the other and that her sister was charging for the phones use but spending as fast as she took it in, reason, her sister even gets a cut of the gambling from people who use her deck of cards.  >:(

Now, getting a condo that will fill your bill can also be challenging but with time spent looking, people will no doubt find one that fits their needs. I too think they are safer and much easier to leave when returning to the states or other travel. Stay away from City Lights in Cebu IMHO unless they fix the water shortage and other problem.  :o http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=489295&publicationSubCategoryId=108

Other than that, it will be up to how much the Filipino way of doing things you can stand. Example, our place left all the rebar hanging out where the next building will or may be someday, that really does not bother me too much, but many high class Kanos (the word includes all round eyes) that have looked there said it was junk, I see the future and the convenience of the location and know they will eventually build something on that property because of the cost of the land sitting empty and the high value of the property because of its location, but others seem to want immediate gratification and for bottom dollars. I guess time will tell who was correct, but for the price we paid and the fact that we got in almost at the bottom, I really cannot complain and it will be the wife\'s when I am gone anyway, so I will never have to deal with it beyond living there and she can always rent them out and not live there if she wants more income.

BTW, one such Kano ended up renting up in City Lights and the last I saw him he complained continually about the low water pressure. Life is a beach.  :D

and so ends this chapter of the saga of Lee in the Philippines  ;D :D
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »
Thank you Tom for your kind words! I do agree...what an eclectic group we have here...lol...and I mean that in a good way!

Are you planning to build on the \"larger lot\" in Leyte, or buy a house on a larger lot?  If building, are you planning to wait till you retire in 5 years, or forging ahead next year?  Colin posted (with admin permission) a site on his house building thread that is very interesting if your building - it photo documents week by week a 2 year long house building project near AC:  -http://groups.yahoo.com/group/achouseproject/  -- If you haven\'t checked it out, their building techniques should peak your engineering interest.

We are going to buy the property first, then plan the rest.  Right now I have an idea for a one-off type of house that won\'t look too gaudy...and will still add a nice architectural touch to the area.  I have to keep in mind the abilities of the workers in the area we live, so thats going to be the fun part.  Still, I\'m always keeping my eyes open for ideas to blend in with what I have in mind.

With the diving, I have been asked asked in the past by some dive shops to help out in the peak tourist season, so might just be a \"filler\" during the high season and relax during the lows.  All that can change though...the Mrs. has a thing for business ventures and if she think she can make a decent business out of a resort...hell or high water can\'t stop her... ;D  Since the Mrs. toured with a band in the past, we are going to work on putting in a recording studio like dylanaz, but will integrate it into the house design.  I already knew that was coming anyways...you can never take music away from a pinay! ;)

You just have to love them!

Greg 8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog