Author Topic: Electricity  (Read 12247 times)

Re: Electricity
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 04:42:57 PM »
This topic has been split. The new thread on House & Lot packages continues here

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=716.0

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 04:56:11 PM »
Colin,

How long before you get your own place sorted? I agree with the logic of renting until you find the right location but not long term. Just burning money for no result to me.

Keith, this post and my replies are not related to electricity, so perhaps you could move them to somewhere more suitable.
Thanks,
Colin

Guide note. Colins posts on Renting his UK house out has been split & can be found in a new thread here:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=717.0

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 05:08:59 PM »
The split type air conditioners are generally a lot cheaper to run, because your evaporator is in the house on its own motor which has been designed just to run the fan and the condenser is outside low to the ground most often where it is cooler, also the condenser is much larger than in a Window type so the fan does not have to run as often, it often turns slower as the blade is larger and more efficient.

Also you have a higher volume of refrigerant, which allows it to do its job more efficiently.

Also generally the split type aircons are around twice the price of the window types and can be positioned more efficiently with the air outlet high up on the wall and big holes do not have to be cut into the side of the building if you choose not to use a window.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 06:17:34 PM »
The split type air conditioners are generally a lot cheaper to run, because your evaporator is in the house on its own motor which has been designed just to run the fan and the condenser is outside low to the ground most often where it is cooler, also the condenser is much larger than in a Window type so the fan does not have to run as often, it often turns slower as the blade is larger and more efficient.

Also you have a higher volume of refrigerant, which allows it to do its job more efficiently.

Also generally the split type aircons are around twice the price of the window types and can be positioned more efficiently with the air outlet high up on the wall and big holes do not have to be cut into the side of the building if you choose not to use a window.

Wayne

Thanks for this Wayne. It has confirmed my suspicions that the extra P20,000 paid for a split aircon is a good investment. It won\'t take long to recoup the cost on the 2 I have if I am saving around P2k a month. Plus they are so much quieter.

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 05:47:11 PM »
I think it was during the previous administration that GE, at the invitation of the government, constructed the plant, which has never operated and has never produced a single kilowatt of electricity as far as I know. I\'m not sure why it was never opened, but I was told by someone as recently as last night, that during the construction of the plant, there were so many payoffs to so many people that there simply wasn\'t enough money to complete it. I have no idea if this is true, but, given the recurrence of the same practice in other infrastructure projects, I wouldn\'t be at all surprised.

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 12:10:54 PM »
I just got my latest electric bill today.

Lots and lots of various charges, fees, and taxes on it.

But, the bottom line after all is said and done ... is that I used 758 KWH of electricity last month and the total charge on the bottom of the bill is 4,167 pesos.

Divide that and you get an \'out the door\' cost of 5.50 pesos per KWH .... (or 12.5 cents USD per KWH at todays exchange rate)

BTW ... I am in Bacolod City, Negros Island
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »
Wow how lucky are you living where you are. My electricity bill was almost exactly the same as yours,  P4,503 but we only used 471kWh. That works out to 9.5 to your 5.5 per kWh.

You must have some serious aircon use to use that much electricity :o

I guess it\'s because we have a split type stand-up AC unit in the living room too.

BTW, a guy in Malate, Metro Manila said his last bill for 312 KWH was 2,816 pesos.
That works out to 9.03 pesos per KWH, so I guess that whole area in and around Manila has very high electicity costs.

Ron,
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline oscar

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »
 ;D ;D

Here is another guy (see latest post  http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,55.0.html) living in Malate-Manila. We, 2 person, live in a 2 bedroom condo from 120 sq mtr, together with 6 aircons  each 1 hp. Day and night always 2-3 are running at 28 degrees.  We have 6 fans, 1-2 always runnng.
We have a boiler, cook daily on electric and wash in an electric wshing machine, and iron the wash. Laptop is on 10 hours and tv set same. Ofcourse we have a fridge.
All light are saving lights.

Our electric bill (Meralco) is about 9000 peso a month.

There are realy large differences in the electrc price. I once saw a schedule, showing: Manila 100 % Cebu 65% and somewhere in Mindanao 45. So for the same amount of electric.

By the way, our aircons are split aircons, and fans are a really great help in reducing costs.

:o :o :o

Offline jayjayrp

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 04:27:47 AM »
I am thinking that a combination of solar and wind would be good for the islands.
We plan to have solar and wind back ups.  We also plan a purchase of a diesel
powered generator but running this type of power supply for the long haul is just
too expensive to be cost effient.  We have an ice business and we depend on the
local power supply to provide power for making the ice.  We also plan on keeping
a good supply of candles and kerosine handy for when the power goes out.  We
experience power outages at an average of over one a day.  Often the power is
turned off by the power company so that the lines can be maintained and inspected.
The weekends are often times when the power is off as there is no need to power the
government offices.
JJ

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »
I am thinking that a combination of solar and wind would be good for the islands.
We plan to have solar and wind back ups.  We also plan a purchase of a diesel
powered generator but running this type of power supply for the long haul is just
too expensive to be cost effient.  We have an ice business and we depend on the
local power supply to provide power for making the ice.  We also plan on keeping
a good supply of candles and kerosine handy for when the power goes out.  We
experience power outages at an average of over one a day.  Often the power is
turned off by the power company so that the lines can be maintained and inspected.
The weekends are often times when the power is off as there is no need to power the
government offices.
JJ

The problem with the wind power thing is that you need wind. Just about every where that I have lived in the P.I doesn\'t ever seem to produce enough..Often time I pray for just a breeze on a hot day!
When the wind does blow hard enough here I doubt that most of these wind turbines would be standing in the aftermath..
Solar systems are still far to expensive to be worth the effort..By the time you have got your money back (about 12 years) you will need to replace all of your equipment.
Making bio diesel from waste cooking oil or used engine oil might be a better way to save decent money running your generator..Very few doing this here but it is starting to catch on.
Anyone with knowledge of what type of oil can be used and a nice simple method...Cheers..Im all ears.

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 10:13:03 PM »
The site I posted earlier on this thread has some information on alternative fuels for diesel engines.

Colin

Colin,

I didn\'t find you Post on alternate fuels for diesel engines. Can you direct me to it?

My brother has a cafe in the USA and is saving his used cooking oils. I\'d like to forward to him your Post if it\'s OK with you.

Thanks,

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline John A.

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »
Good suggestions about shuting everything down. I found that just reaching around and shuting the power off on my PC saves me $20 a month. I use the compact flourescents also and they add another 30 to the savings a month.
John A.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »
Good suggestions about shuting everything down. I found that just reaching around and shuting the power off on my PC saves me $20 a month. I use the compact flourescents also and they add another 30 to the savings a month.
John A.

.. and from reading this and related threads - it seems we can save quite a lot by using Split-type A/C units versus the window mount A/C units !

Adding a split type to my list now !

P10 per KWh in NCR ... time to save a buck or 2   :P
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:41 AM »
I have a friend of mine who is a mechanic.  He bought an old truck and has recently converted the engine to run 95% on distilled water or urine actually.  He truck still uses gasoline, but went from 15 mpg to over 70mpg in city and from 19 mpg to over 100 mpg highway.   I wonder if something with that combo could be done with a generator.....

I have a friend that just hooked up his daughters hamster wheel to his generator and is now generating 1MW per 6 oz bottle of hamster pellets more environmentally friendly then running 95% water in you genset engine

Tom / Roxas City

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 03:25:06 PM »
I have a friend of mine who is a mechanic.  He bought an old truck and has recently converted the engine to run 95% on distilled water or urine actually. 

Only urine from specific animals must be used....from Apidae usually preferred and easiest to process and even buy....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:45:19 AM by Gray Wolf »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog