Author Topic: AIRFARE TO THE RP  (Read 8194 times)

Offline revaddict

Re: AIRFARE TO THE RP
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »
The information about airfare here looks very helpful, but I just have one question:  What exactly is a consolidator?  That is, what does the term mean when talking about airfare and how is a \"consolidator\" different from a travel agent?

Paul

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 05:20:45 AM »
The information about airfare here looks very helpful, but I just have one question:  What exactly is a consolidator?  That is, what does the term mean when talking about airfare and how is a \"consolidator\" different from a travel agent?

Paul

Hi Paul!

What Are Consolidator Fares?  They are discounted airfares sold by the airlines to help fill seats. These are not standby tickets and are a great way to get cheap fares.  Many agents are former residents of the areas we like to fly to and offer discount tickets to their customers.  Some travel agents offer consolidated airfares, but not all.  You may have less choice of seating or connections when purchasing through consolidators, but everyone on the plane arrives at the same time, every time.   ;)  ;D ;D

Check with your local Asian or Filipino grocer.  They usually know of a good agent. 
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »
I\'ve heard that the consolidators with the best deals are in places with big military installations, specifically Norfolk and San Diego. I don\'t know if that\'s generally true, but when I was doing some pricing lately I inquired from a couple around Norfolk (where I departed from when I last came here) and got some better quotes than elsewhere, so it might be something.
That\'s not chicken.

Offline revaddict

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »

Paul

Hi Paul!

What Are Consolidator Fares?  They are discounted airfares sold by the airlines to help fill seats. These are not standby tickets and are a great way to get cheap fares.  Many agents are former residents of the areas we like to fly to and offer discount tickets to their customers.  Some travel agents offer consolidated airfares, but not all.  You may have less choice of seating or connections when purchasing through consolidators, but everyone on the plane arrives at the same time, every time.   ;)  ;D ;D

Check with your local Asian or Filipino grocer.  They usually know of a good agent. 

Thanks for the tip, Jack.  We have a Filipino store in our community, so I can check there.

Paul

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 02:18:36 AM »
Paul,

That\'s an excellent place to start.  If they don\'t sell tickets themselves, they may knwo fo someone who does.  Also check to see if they carry a Fil-Am newspaper while you\'re there in the store.  We picked up a paper out of Chicago and found a wonderful Filipino owned travel agency who sold us all of our tickets so far.  Unfortunately, the owner has since closed her business to go back to school full time to get her degree. 

I hope she goes back into business because she was so pleasant to deal with and always gave us great prices.  I would find the travel itinerary and flight info online through Expedia or Orbitz and give her as specific information as I could to get our tickets setup the way we wanted them.  She always managed to save us around 50% off the prices listed online.

Good luck and report back to us here when you have something good to share.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline homsic4ph

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 01:44:04 AM »
I called the number on the Travel with Grace website and got some bicycle shop.  The lady called me back and thanked me for letting her know where I got that number because she had been getting phone calls wanting travel info.  Don\'t know what\'s going on with this site but the number is wrong.  thanks

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 04:41:54 AM »
I called the number on the Travel with Grace website and got some bicycle shop.  The lady called me back and thanked me for letting her know where I got that number because she had been getting phone calls wanting travel info.  Don\'t know what\'s going on with this site but the number is wrong.  thanks

Homsic4ph,

Which number did you call?  I see three numbers listed on the website:

East: 718-380-0348
   West: 702-940-7878
   Toll-free: 888-678-3562

Our members have been using this travel service for some time now and I find the agency listed many times on our sister list LinP3.  Try one of the other numbers listed and see what you get.

Thanks!
Louisville, KY USA

Offline homsic4ph

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »
The toll free 888 number,  the lady called me back and thanked me for letting her know where the calls were coming from

Offline homsic4ph

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
Where are the other numbers listed?  I did not see them..  not doubting you.  I need ticket for next year.  Hope I can find them cheap but all I am seeing now is 1300 at best from the midwest

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 03:57:42 AM »
Where are the other numbers listed?  I did not see them..  not doubting you.  I need ticket for next year.  Hope I can find them cheap but all I am seeing now is 1300 at best from the midwest

Try this link:

http://www.travelwithgrace.net/About_Us/about_us.htm

Not sure about purchasing tickets a year in advance.  Most consolidators purchase blocks of tickets no more than 60 days in advance.  YMMV.  Good Luck!
Louisville, KY USA

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2008, 02:52:23 AM »
I don\'t know if anyone else uses them, but so far, from the Netherlands, the best prices to the PI have come from -

http://www.vayama.com/#results_page

I have to fly out of either Brussels, Frankfurt, or Amsterdam. Brussels is closer, then Frankfurt, then Amsterdam. No matter what I chose, still around $1,000. I still have until Feb, so can keep an eye on those prices... ;D
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline larry

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
NWA after few flights  get an free1   fly in to NY  hehe

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog