Author Topic: Possible Change Of Plans  (Read 4474 times)

Re: Possible Change Of Plans
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:37 AM »
 U said U were retired from the Army ??? On SS nd Army retirement ???  Well, what DEBTS do U have in the U.S. ????  MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE......   I am retired USN  ( E6 ) nd have SS also..My debts in the US R $400. mo. car pymt.  I live really good in the Phils and the US. ( when I choose to go to the US)  Did U know there is TRI Care in CEBU ?? I spent 4 days in Cebu Doc\'s hosp. the first part of Dec. Private room, good western style food ( U gotta request it ) and my wife was able to sleep with me in the room.. When I checked out the bill came to 40 pesos !!
YEP  I SAID 40  AS IN FORTY !!!  Tricare got the rest !!!!!!   also we rented a real nice home on Panglao partially furn, private fenced compound, for 10,000.00 P..  about $200.00 while we were building R home..  Also Tricare delivers my Diabetes med right to my door step...  HOW CAN U GO WRONG ??????     DEBTS !!!!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 12:30:47 PM »
Sam,

I an a retired E8 with a house payment and no bills.  But if we don\'t sell our house it will crimp our living standards by $1200 a month but still leaving us enough to live on.  Which I think is fine as long as my medical issues remain stable.  If we sell the house, I am not worried about anything.  We are making arrangements for a six month stay in Viet Nam first to see if longer stays are possible and maybe even retirement, if not then we will simply come home, sell house and retire to Philippines, as I do not want to fly back and forth to VN every six months.  Too rough of a trip for me.  But all of  for this is subject to change in a heartbeat, when you marry a Vietnamese you learn that nothing is etched in stone except her love for you, all else forget it. :D

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 10:53:47 AM »
David.. wud U rather live in VN  or the P.I. ???  I have not been in VN since april 68 ( d baadd days )
I really loved the people nd country and was on my way back in 2003 but got waylayed in the P.I.
For me now I think I am better off here cus of medical and easy to get to my $$$...

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 12:23:17 PM »
Sam,

Well this is the 3rd time I will have typed this.  I hope it doesn\'t disappear again.  Anyway, to answer your question.  I guess because I am married to a Vietnamese and she wants to be near her youngest sister, the answer is Viet Nam.  Additionally, because we would be living with that sister our cost of living would be less than $500 per month and that would be for entertainment, tours or trips, clothes, medicines and sharing utility bills and food costs with them as the house is paid for.

That said, there are many reasons I would like to live in the Philippines.  Just a few are: English speaking, better infrastructure than Viet Nam, at least for now.  Love the people and the culture and the food.  Primary Religion is Christian as opposed to Buddhist or Islam.  The biggest drawback in living in the Philippines would be the fact that we would not have any family or friends there upon arrival.  But that has been the case for Mao and I since we reentered the military in 1974.  Everywhere we went we had to start over and make new friends and it never stoped us from enjoying where we were.  So I guess the answer is if we cannot retire in Viet Nam we will enjoy the Philippines and make occasional trips to VN. 

I sure am getting long winded.  Must be the Sugar Free Brownies Mao made for me.   ;D

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog