Author Topic: Visitor\'s VISA to the US by Filipinos  (Read 3708 times)

Visitor\'s VISA to the US by Filipinos
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »
Obtaining a visitor\'s visa to the US by a Filipino can be very difficult indeed.  Expats who wish to return to the US on vacation to visit family, who would also like to bring their Filipino wives along can have their wives apply for a visitor\'s visa. 

There have been many rumors and legends generated by the process, but this is how it works.  The US Embassy openly assumes that a Filipino is lying when they apply for a nonimmigrant visa, that they really intend to stay forever.  It\'s up to the Filipino to prove otherwise.  Visitor\'s visas can\'t be sponsored.  Letters of invitation may round out a story, but will have no bearing on whether the visa will be approved or not.  Letters from Congressmen will have no effect.  Assurances that the applicant will receive support while visiting and assurances made to put the Filipino back on a returning flight will be ignored.  It is true that a poor young Filipino hasn\'t a prayer of being approved, especially if they happen to mention that they have a waiting boyfriend or husband in the US! 

When an applicant submits an \"Application for a Nonimmigrant Visa\", the US Embassy\'s one and ONLY concern is that the applicant will abide by the visa and return to the Philippines.  Nothing else matters except that their ties to the Philippines are strong enough to return.  As long as your wife can provide enough proof that you and she have established a life together in the Philippines and that she will return without doubt, she\'ll likely be approved.  Even if she isn\'t approved the first time she tries, she can reapply as often as she likes.  A refusal will not be held against her the next time she tries and it costs US$131 for each application...

Those unmarried Filipinos have a steeper hill to climb.  They must prove that their ties are strong enough by showing evidence of businesses, bank accounts, properties owned.  The reason for the visit is not important.  A dying mother in New Jersey may wish to see her last son living in the Philippines one more time, but if he can\'t prove that his ties to the RP are strong enough he\'ll be refused.  On the other hand, a single female teenager who wishes to visit Disneyland in California will be approved if she comes from one of the wealthy RP families. 

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
Re: Visitor\'s VISA to the US by Filipinos
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
I wonder how hard it would be for a 26 year old Filipina who is married (with no children)  to an American citizen to get a multiple entry / exit tourist visa to the US?

The Filipina wife and her husband (a retired military officer) both live together in the Philippines ... The Filipina wife fully owns a 7 million peso house and lot which is in her name and located in an upscale Ayala subdivision  here in the Philippines. The wife has a BS degree, but no current job.

Her RP passport shows 2 previous trips from the Philippines to Thailand and 1 trip to Malyasia and return to the RP  with no overstay.

Any thoughts on a situation like this.

Thanks,
Out of Stock Sir !

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:27:32 PM »
I wonder how hard it would be for a 26 year old Filipina who is married (with no children)  to an American citizen to get a multiple entry / exit tourist visa to the US?

The Filipina wife and her husband (a retired military officer) both live together in the Philippines ... The Filipina wife fully owns a 7 million peso house and lot which is in her name and located in an upscale Ayala subdivision  here in the Philippines. The wife has a BS degree, but no current job.

Her RP passport shows 2 previous trips from the Philippines to Thailand and 1 trip to Malyasia and return to the RP  with no overstay.

Any thoughts on a situation like this.

Thanks,

In cases of expats returning to the the US with their wives, the main issue is the return of their Filipino partner.  In these cases her lack of a job shouldn\'t have much bearing on the overall decision to grant or deny a visa.  Having the house and property with evidence that she\'s been abroad and hasn\'t violated the conditions of her visas should count in her favor along with proofs that you and she have established a residency in the RP and have every reason to return.  Wives of expats in your situation have been getting visas with some regularity.  The single object to prove is that the Filipino has every reason to return to the RP and little reason to stay in the US.  Good luck!

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:45:58 PM »
Thank\'s Ron  :)

Well, you have to admit ... the Filipinos have ruined it for themselves.

Your average Japanese tourist comes to the US and spends money on a weeks vacation in Disneyland ... then gets back on the plane, back  for \'Nippon Land\' ..... while your average Filiipino just can\'t seem to find there way back to the airport when it\'s time to leave and go back home.

These \'TNT\' Filipinos in the past have ruined for everyone else that now just want to go to the US for a 3 or 4 week vacation and then go back home.

Not all Filipinos are dirt poor!
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline kingneptune

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:59:59 AM »
We personally know of 1 filipina in California who was able to secure a visitor visa for her mother.  Just a simple mother, not rich, etc.  So I guess it can happen.  It would be nice if it were that easy for the mother\'s or fathers to visit, that way once their child had gained US citizenship and wanted to petition the parents, it would be easier for them to say \'no\' having already visited, than to get here and find out the US is not what they thought.

Semper Fi!

Mike J.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »
Myrlita & I have just returned from our trip to the US Embassy. I will tell you the experience we had applying for the visitor\'s B2 visa. This story is based on Myrlita\'s account as she told me since I had to wait outside in the waiting area and would not let me inside with her. She went in and did all the ques as directed. When she got to the interviewer, he was very nice and pleasant to her and asked her simple questions. She told him she wanted to meet my family in person. When asked how long she would stay, she replied 1-2 weeks. When asked about a job, she said she was a housewife and that her husband is a perm 13A resident and has been here 4 years now showing him a copy of my ACR-I card & PH Driver\'s license. He did not even ask for bank statements nor anything else. He denied her letting it slip out that he had already gave a B2 visa earlier that day. My conclusion to this exercise in futility has shown Myrlita & I that it is predetermined who will get the visa in advance sort of like the lottery. The rest will be summarily denied even before they get there for the interview. They definitely encourage you to reapply. Of course they do. This is a very lucrative money grab from the US Government. Yes I know our country is in dire straits financially but to they have to suck it out of a country that can barely feed their families?
God Bless......
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline intocebu

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 05:58:27 AM »
That is not Right for sure Since (you)!! Have been living in the Philippines and they still Denied Myrlita Thats Ashame even if you go again and again and spend 100s of dollars to try to get at least 2 weeks Probably still be Denied... your Right Steve wouldn\'t you figure the USA Could Use the Tourist dollars as things seem to be a Little Backwards since People Like me who are in the USA and living in one of the Highest Taxed states for everything in the Country Connecticut  :o..Many  are not Spending money Cause of ,High Gas Prices,High Property taxes, food Prices Ect Ect. going up.. ,Go figure thats why i am saving as much as i can week to week no Matter How much to Head for the Philippines in the next 2-3 yrs ...........Dave

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
I discouraged my wife from renewing her visitor visa to the US.  With the high costs and economic depression, it is cheaper and more rewarding to travel in Asia.  Dubai accepts Filipinos on arrival visas for 60 days as a example and flights are half that of going to the US mainland. 

There\'s also a US tax rule about if you spend so many days in a certain time period on a visitor visa, then the IRS will tax you on everything including Philippine income regardless if you are only tourist visa.

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
I will relate my experiances with the US Embassy in Tokyo in 1999. My wife and I had been married in Japan at the city hall 8 months earlier. We were living in base housing and I had served my country for 22 years at the time. My father died unexpectedly from a massive heart attack just before Thanksgiving day. When I went with my wife to apply for a tourist visa so she could accompany me we got nothing but a hard time from the 2 pimply faced college boys who could not keep from asking my wife every other question \"are you sure you never worked in a bar\"? We left my wife was embarrassed and I was fit to be tied. Well I wound up going home to my dads funeral alone. I called my senator and congressman along with a couple retired Navy Captains one of whom had been both a senator and congressman for 3 terms from N.J. I related my story and let them know in no uncertain terms I was never so insulted and mistreaded in my life. A combat veteren serving on active duty in Japan with 22 years of service. Well after much to do, those 2 college boys were not at the embassy when I returned to get a spousal visa. The person that took care of us was obviously a supervisor and could not have kissed my ass anymore if he tried. We were in and out of there in 10 minutes with spousal visa in hand.

All I can say is the US Embassy folks are my second most hated government agency. Only topped by the IRS but that\'s another story.
I pity anyone who has the misfortune of having to deal with those pricks !

Paul in Iloilo

Offline Luna Mystica

Re: Visitor's VISA to the US by Filipinos
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »
I can only wish if the US gov't do something about this "wrong practice" or "misconceptions about filipinos/filipinas". Isn't it more wiser to visit someone (in any form) in the States for few weeks visit than having to pressure oneself for a fiancee visa? The US gov't only pushing it's own citizens to tie a knot on their heads than instead of  enjoying the freedom while spending with the love one/ones. Does anybody agrees to this??

Gene
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:00:11 AM by Gray Wolf »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog