Author Topic: 23 y/o looking to emigrate  (Read 13124 times)

Offline rm86

23 y/o looking to emigrate
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:02:10 PM »
Hey folks,

Great forum here, I\'ve spent most of the morning looking through the posts and reading about everyones experiences and opinions regarding life in the Philippines. I\'ve learned some invaluable information too from the posts discussing rent & living expenses, cultural differences and employment / business ideas. Top stuff  :)

Anyway, I\'ve signed up to the forum to ask for some words of wisdom from you guys who are currently over there in the Philippines \'living the dream\'. As the title of the post says, I\'m 23 years old, I live in the UK - I\'m currently in full time employment as a building labourer and in the evenings and weekends, I work from the computer as a freelancer to earn a few extra notes a week.

I\'m currently in the process of selling an inherited property. Once the sale has gone through, I should have banked approx. £20k-£30k GBP after the proceeds have been divided. Ideally, I want to use that money to fund a move abroad - and for the past year, Philippines has been growing on me more and more.

It might also be worth mentioning that I\'m in love with a woman in the Philippines. She\'s a little older than me (30\'s), but I trust her with my life. I know this goes against the norm, but I know she\'s the woman I want to be with and I have no doubts at all about her commitment to me (it took a while, but she seems to have finally accepted that despite my age, I have no intention of doing wrong).

Again, I\'m sure many of you know and have experienced for yourselves the urgency and longing involved when the woman you love and desire is so far from you.

Sorry for the lengthy post so far  ::)

Now onto my idea, and this is where I would appreciate some help and advice.

My intent is to move to the Philippines on a tourist visa(?) and rent a basic, clean apartment out there. It might need two bedrooms to accomodate myself, my girlfriend and her child. It has to be clean, in a safe area and ideally, not too expensive (I need to make my funds go as far as possible, so I\'ll be living on the basics out there until I have some income coming in).

With regards to work, I plan to purchase a PC and internet connection and make a full time (or ideally, part time) job out of my freelancing. In a good week I could make around $250 - but freelancing is not the most reliable of jobs, and I can\'t guaranteed a steady $250 every week. In fact, some weeks there would be nothing earned.

Do I need to fill out self employment paperwork and tax returns in the Philippines? Would I need a working visa to legally work as a self employed freelancer?

Would it be a better idea to invest some of my money into a small business of some sort? Or perhaps I could buy and rent out a small property in order to generate a monthly income?

Any advice, criticism and comments would be most welcome. In truth, I have itchy feet and I\'m very enthusiastic about this move. I\'m in an unthankful, mind numbing job in the UK - it\'s expensive to live here, I find the whole place a bit depressing. I\'m ready to grab life by the \'nads and take control, instead of breaking my back week in, week out just to scrape together enough to pay rent, food and get a couple of rounds in at the weekend. Basically, I have nothing to lose by makinb the move, other than a crappy job and a poxy flat.

There\'s lots for me to consider, and I know a lot of you folks here could offer some sound, honest advice. Any input is greatly appreciated, cheers!  ???

Re: 23 y/o looking to emigrate
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »
If you earn money on-line nobody in the PI need know you are earning a penny, thus no tax.  ;)

$250 a week would keep you in relative luxury. Hell, people in the UK live on less sometimes.

Don\'t invest in a small business. You\'d do better buying Premium Bonds. The best way to end up with a small fortune in the PI is to start with a large one!

Your biggest \'problem\' will probably be the visa situation, so loads of groundwork required, but you will probably be best off running as a tourist until you get a better idea whether you really want to stay there.

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:46:48 PM »
Don\'t invest in a small business. You\'d do better buying Premium Bonds. The best way to end up with a small fortune in the PI is to start with a large one!

What is this Premium Bond you speak of and have you personly benefited from such an anomaly.........

and i cant stop starring at your hypnotic avatar

OP, don\'t put all your eggs in one basket, by all means set out on this adventure, but with eyes wide open and an escape route back home. Don\'t burn your bridges back home. View this journey as a re-con mission that circumstance dictates your return, when or if. You really must test the waters on an experimental basis before you decide if this women and the Philippines is for you.

Personly after spending some time here i know the girl is definitely for me.....but the jury is still out for the philippines.

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 11:08:43 PM »
Moving in the PI is not easy task but many have done so.
30,000GBP is big amount but it will not last you more than 3 years.
Boots on the ground is what you hear lot in this forum, and please
heed to this advice.
After getting familiar with her and getting adjusted to the Phil life style
your biggest challenge will be your income situation to support
yourself and family if you get married. Most of the X pats
moving there have pension, retirement and or annuity income that
they dont  worry much about wage income or business income.
Getting empolyment there is out of the question unless you
are willing to earn very little not even enough to support yourself.
Good Luck,
Rudy

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:49:48 PM »
Whether or not you can make a living from your online activities there are 2 thing to consider: You have yet to visit the country you think you want to live in, and you have yet to meet the woman you think you intend to spend the rest of your life with.

I am from the UK, and first visited the Philippines 2 years ago to meet my online girlfriend (now my wife and living in England with me). I fell in love with both the country and my girlfriend, but it took that visit to find out.

My advice would be to take a short holiday there, see how you find things, return to the good old UK and from a distance make a rational decision. Or even an unrational decision, but at least it would be based on something more factual.

Go visit, enjoy the country and your girlfriend and have a wonderful time there. And THEN make up your mind.

Good luck,  Paul

Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline rm86

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:08:19 AM »
Thanks for the input fellas, nice to have some unbiased, sensible advice!

It\'s easy for me to get caught up in delusions of \"how great it\'ll be!\", and \"I\'ll cope, no problem!\", but then again - as you\'ve all pretty much said, it\'s important to stay grounded and look at the situation objectively. In an ideal world, I\'d win the lottery, visit the woman I love and settle down to a relaxed, comfortable lifestyle in PI, sipping tuba in the sun, without a care in the world. But \"tama\", it\'s never that easy (unless you\'re a lottery winner  ::)).

I\'ll be sure to stay focused and sensible because even though it\'s tempting to overlook the downsides, it would be stupid to ignore them completely!

King Herald, your signature is spot on and pretty relevant to how I feel right now:

\"Twenty years from now you\'ll regret the things you didn\'t do more than those you did.\"

Thanks again all, I\'ll keep the post updated with how things are going, just in case anyone is interested in seeing how it all goes.

Just a theoretical question for anyone else who reads this - If you were in my situation, what would you do?  ???

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 03:45:18 AM »
I would contact the embassy and acquire the 59 day visa before you go and only plan on staying the 59 days.
Test the waters, see how it goes. Then go back home and take a little time to get your internet business running a little more reliably to be sure of a more solid income. If everything is copasetic, then make plans for a more prolonged stay to make sure your relationship is all you believe it to be. DO NOT buy any property until you get married and are sure it will last. You cannot own property in the Philippines, if the relationship goes south, so will your investment and you will be out the land. I\'m not trying to burst your bubble, just the opposite as I would like to see your adventure succeed. I wish I\'d discovered the Philippines a few years earlier than I did, as I would be just that much further along with my plans to move there myself.
Definitely make sure you store enough pesos to get back home in case things do not go as planned, and good luck
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:02:21 AM »
I know your still quite young, but what the hell, why can\'t the young uns have an adventure as well. G/F got a baby ?.. make sure the father/ ex-husband is well out of the way and if poss he doesn\'t get to know your around until you find out what the history is.
Go live it and try it out for yourself, but I\'d still be cautious about giving up life in UK until you know what life\'s like over there.
Most important,.. make sure you only take enough money for your holiday,.. leave the large amounts of cash in the UK banks where even you can\'t get at it in some moment of lovestruck emotional madness.

Have fun bud,

jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline rm86

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 05:08:45 AM »
Sound advice all, much appreciated again - definitely some things to consider and it\'s refreshing and encouraging to get the input of others!

@Rufus, you\'re right about the solid income, that\'s really my main concern. I want to be in PI by July... If not July, then I will be there by September at the very latest. No question \"if\" - just \"how\", lol. So with that in mind, I have about 3-5 months to develop the \'business\' - I wouldn\'t feel comfortable having no income at all while I was over there, even a couple of hundred dollars a month (despite being a Brit, most of the payments through freelancing are made in USD) to keep the money \'topped off\' would be great. I have no problem at all mixing work with pleasure if that\'s what it takes!

Now that my head\'s been pulled out of the clouds (my a*se?) a bit, I\'m starting to understand that throwing in my lot, saying \"b*llocks\" and jumping in at the deep end might not be a great idea. So I\'ll take the 59 day visa into consideration, although the 6 month visa looks like option I\'ll go for (the longer I can stay, the better)  ::)

@Jonny, nice to see a fellow Scot!

About the GF and kid - she\'s been single for 3 years, the ex left her before the kid was born, he\'s married now, got a family of his own and is well out of the picture - doesn\'t even pay money towards the kid (a familliar story in PI, as I\'ve come to understand ???).

Oh, and I\'ll be sure to keep enough in the Bank of Scotty to get my feet again back in the UK - just in case it all goes t*ts up! (With my luck, I wouldn\'t be surprised lol) :\'(

Appreciate all the encouragement and warm wishes, same to all you guys in the same boat :)

Sorry for going on, but I\'m pretty excited about the year ahead - did everyone feel this way when they were organising their first visit to PI??

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:45:20 AM »
59 days is all they will give you to stay. The 6 month visa is just an entry visa, your stay will only be allowed for 59 days renewable in 2 month increments. i.e. you get 59 days at entry then you go get an extension for another 2 months, then get another, etc. and you can do this for up to 2 years then ya gotta exit.
It\'s cheaper to get the 59 days before you leave from the embassy in the UK, but you can get it as you arrive in the Philippines for extra cost, not sure of the costs off the top of my head.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
59 days is all they will give you to stay. The 6 month visa is just an entry visa, your stay will only be allowed for 59 days renewable in 2 month increments. i.e. you get 59 days at entry then you go get an extension for another 2 months, then get another, etc. and you can do this for up to 2 years then ya gotta exit.
It\'s cheaper to get the 59 days before you leave from the embassy in the UK, but you can get it as you arrive in the Philippines for extra cost, not sure of the costs off the top of my head.

Rufus,

Just got back from 3 weeks in OZ. Got my 21 days at the a\'port, and last Friday went to the Immig. office and extended for the 38 days at a cost of Php3,030. Don\'t forget that if he extends after the first 59 days he will need to purchase an ACR-I card at an added cost of Php1,200, as well as the cost of the 2nd visa extension, which, I think, is about Php3K. I agree with your comment about it being cheaper to do it at the Phil. Embassy in the U.K. I didn\'t have time to do that when I was in OZ.

Graham.

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »
\"Sorry for going on, but I\'m pretty excited about the year ahead - did everyone feel this way when they were organising their first visit to PI??\"......

Yes !!  ( well I did )

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:35:40 AM »
What is this Premium Bond you speak of and have you personly benefited from such an anomaly.........

\'Premium Bonds\' are a government run \'raffle\' ticket, where you buy them and keep them, and can sell them back years later.

There is an \'average\' win %, and unlike Lotto (or a business in the Philippines) you are guaranteed to be able to sell them and get your money back after you decide you have had enough.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 02:44:40 AM »

\'Premium Bonds\' are a government run \'raffle\' ticket, where you buy them and keep them, and can sell them back years later.

There is an \'average\' win %, and unlike Lotto (or a business in the Philippines) you are guaranteed to be able to sell them and get your money back after you decide you have had enough.

and their value in \"real\" terms has shrunk to about 10%

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »

and their value in \"real\" terms has shrunk to about 10%
I assume it depends how long you have owned them? You only get back the actual price you paid for them.

But then again, how much are last weeks Lotto tickets worth this week....  ;)

One thing we have to give up when we move to the PI: our UK Lotto weekly. Now you can\'t play unless you are a full time UK resident.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog