Author Topic: Getting an American visa in the Philippines  (Read 1396 times)

Getting an American visa in the Philippines
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:06:42 AM »
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but here goes.

Anybody had any recent experience at getting a US visa in Manila? I currently have a US OCS work visa that will need renewing next year. I\'m pondering whether to go back to the UK to process it, or whether it can be done painlessly in Manila.

I tried to get a visa there some twelve years ago, and the huge queues and chaos were beneath contempt. Scruffy, unshaved, arrogant, non-uniformed local security guards, with absolutely no ID. Ignorant telephone operatives who twice told me to \'just come down and apply\', yet neglected to mention any sort of time frame or parameters or requirements. Hoards of people with little or no guidance provided as to where to queue. etc etc

I have heard there is a far better system in place now, with on-line appointments and proper queuing procedures. So would it be worth me trying?

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Getting an American visa in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:00:14 AM »
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but here goes.

Anybody had any recent experience at getting a US visa in Manila? I currently have a US OCS work visa that will need renewing next year. I\'m pondering whether to go back to the UK to process it, or whether it can be done painlessly in Manila.

I tried to get a visa there some twelve years ago, and the huge queues and chaos were beneath contempt. Scruffy, unshaved, arrogant, non-uniformed local security guards, with absolutely no ID. Ignorant telephone operatives who twice told me to \'just come down and apply\', yet neglected to mention any sort of time frame or parameters or requirements. Hoards of people with little or no guidance provided as to where to queue. etc etc

I have heard there is a far better system in place now, with on-line appointments and proper queuing procedures. So would it be worth me trying?

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3004.html

Online Appointments for Passports and Notarials start August 1st!

In order to better serve you, American Citizen Services in Embassy Manila moved to an online appointment-only system on August 1st for passport and notary services. This allows us to plan and adjust for fluctuating demand and will make for a smoother, more predictable visit to the embassy. This new system will also cut down on the time you spend in the embassy waiting rooms! Please read the passport, notary, or legal capacity to marry page before booking your appointment.  Online appointments are not currently available for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) applications.  Please see the citizenship page for details.

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog