Author Topic: any advice for a newbie?  (Read 11227 times)

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
Re: any advice for a newbie?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »

I don\'t believe there is a \'spouses visa\' for you to obtain, married or otherwise.  You can get a balikbayan visa, if you both enter the PI together, which gives you a year in the country, but short of obtaining some sort of retirement visa there is nothing else I am aware of.

Being married may just \'grease the wheels\' a little when you apply for a work visa.  Officials definitly prefer it when you are married to a local, as family and all is such a big thing in the PI.  ;D

[/quote]

Marrying a Filipino citizen and aquiring 13A visa makes you a foreign resident.

Thus seemingly makes you eligible to not even need Alien Employment Permit from DOLE Dept of Labor and Employment. See 3.7 in link.

Obtaining AEP is part of process in obtaining work permit/visa for Philippines
[/quote]

That was my question, i was pretty sure that was the case with the 13a so thanks for clearing that up for me.

As to the OP, i picked up a teaching job here. I have no certification and only make 250/hour. I have heard others with more experience in teaching get the same. But one friend makes 500/hour but only because he has been with the school since it opened and there was only a few English schools around at the time.
I have only been at it for 5 months and still deciding if its my cup of tea. I have been looking into the on line teaching thing where you can fetch an advertised 13-18$/hr. But finding most demand a bachelor degree in something.

You can always come and try it out, careful of the contracts. I never signed one. As you know being an English teacher you can get a job anywhere, Korea, Japan, Dubai etc. Check out ESL forums and ask around there about the Philippines. If you are working for Koreans do your research on the culture and thats all i will say on that matter.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »
That was my question, i was pretty sure that was the case with the 13a so thanks for clearing that up for me.

As to the OP, i picked up a teaching job here. I have no certification and only make 250/hour. I have heard others with more experience in teaching get the same. But one friend makes 500/hour but only because he has been with the school since it opened and there was only a few English schools around at the time.
I have only been at it for 5 months and still deciding if its my cup of tea. I have been looking into the on line teaching thing where you can fetch an advertised 13-18$/hr. But finding most demand a bachelor degree in something.

You can always come and try it out, careful of the contracts. I never signed one. As you know being an English teacher you can get a job anywhere, Korea, Japan, Dubai etc. Check out ESL forums and ask around there about the Philippines. If you are working for Koreans do your research on the culture and thats all i will say on that matter.

I guess you could call a 13A a \'spouses visa\' then.

Did you get a work visa for the job you do, or are you utilising the 13A and its DOLE waiver, or whatever they call it?

250 pesos  an hour is not too shabby, if you can get a reasonable amount of hours a day.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 10:54:28 AM »
I don\'t believe there is a \'spouses visa\' for you to obtain, married or otherwise.  You can get a balikbayan visa, if you both enter the PI together, which gives you a year in the country, but short of obtaining some sort of retirement visa there is nothing else I am aware of.

Being married may just \'grease the wheels\' a little when you apply for a work visa.  Officials definitly prefer it when you are married to a local, as family and all is such a big thing in the PI.  Grin

I have the 13a visa which is valid for 5 years..Pretty much a spouse visa as you need to be married to get one.. Pretty sure I can work too!..

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 07:24:18 AM »
Everything you always wanted to know about the AEP (Alien Employment Permit) and more!

http://www.ble.dole.gov.ph/faqs.asp

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 07:46:40 AM »
Everything you always wanted to know about the AEP (Alien Employment Permit) and more!

http://www.ble.dole.gov.ph/faqs.asp
Greg, I think what you gave here puts the 13A question of work to rest. Note #7.

# Who are exempted from securing AEP?
The following categories of foreign nationals are exempt from securing AEP:

1. Members of the diplomatic services and foreign government officials accredited by the Philippine government;
   2. Officers and staff of international organizations of which the Philippine government is a cooperating member, and their legitimate spouses desiring to work in the Philippines;
   3. Foreign nationals elected as members of the Governing Board who do not occupy any other position, but have only voting rights in the corporation;
   4. All foreign nationals granted exemption by special laws and all other laws that may be promulgated by the Congress;
   5. Owners and representatives of foreign principals, whose companies are accredited by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), who come to the Philippines for a limited period solely for the purpose of interviewing Filipino applicants for employment abroad;
   6. Foreign nationals who come to the Philippines to teach, present and/or conduct research studies in universities and colleges as visiting, exchange or adjunct professors under formal agreements between the universities or colleges in the Philippines and foreign universities or colleges; or between the Philippine government and foreign government; provided that the exemption is on a reciprocal basis; and
   7. Resident foreign nationals and temporary or probationary resident visa holders employed or seeking employment in the Philippines.
God Bless.....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
*** RIP DON H. ***

Offline matet

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »
Hi Philipo,

Living in Makati is not a good idea unless you have a tons of money and can make more money on your job (which is I doubt here). Makati is a expensive place. (I\'m not saying you can\'t afford it but if you can save more money why not right?..). Umm Marikina?.. its a nice and clean place but not to mention when its flooding. In South area like Las Pinas, Taguig or Paranaque oh expect a heavy traffic. But if you want to live a simple life better to live in province like Cebu or Subic. I\'m sure your gf knows a lot.

Goodluck and God Bless!

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 01:31:18 AM »
 Actually when we were scouting out metro Manila a couple of years ago, Paranaque was one area that had some very nice places for rent that were also within our budget (25,000 a month max). You\'re definitely right about the traffic though.
Mike from San Antonio

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 05:40:11 PM »
OK,things are a lot clearer now. Thanks for the advice guys especially Bruce (funnily enough i have been informed of an ex pat apartment building in Cavite with 2 bed places available)
Thanks. I have friends living in Imus & Bacoor, so there are plenty around.
I hear drivings pretty bonkers
Maybe it is just me, but driving from the Cavite, in the outer reaches, 35Km to Manila and then driving in Manila, was like a duck to water. Traffic there is organized chaos, but if you are not slightly aggressive and too defensive at the same time, you will not move in any traffic jam. Sure, most of the traffice only travels about 40kmh, so nipping in and cutting off others is not that hard and not as dangerous as it seems. There are places where I can travel at 100+kmh, but not with the missus in the car. She just screams and cries. A hangover from an accident she had when she first drove 15years ago. Now in Oz, she rides on my BMW and we go 100-120kmh (don\'t tell her, but sometimes LOTS more). I have a good sense of direction, so for me, driving is not an issue or getting kind of lost. With the 12mths of driving there, I only had one incident and that was reversing into a almost invisible pole, in an empty parking lot. Cost me 650P to repair Aunties paint scratches. So drive with sensible aggression whilst being defensive and you will do just fine.

Bruce

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
..... but if you are not slightly aggressive and too defensive at the same time, you will not move in any traffic jam. Sure, most of the traffice only travels about 40kmh, so nipping in and cutting off others is not that hard and not as dangerous as it seems.....

Correctomundo. If you drove by normal western road rules, you\'d never get anywhere in the PI traffic.  There simply is never a time when the gap in traffic is long enough to pull correctly out of a side road, or the road ahead is clear enough to overtake safely. You need to squeeze, push in etc, and nobody really has a problem with that, as they all do it.  ;D

I learned the rules on a motorcycle, in Angeles,  which makes you painfully aware what the real road rules are, and how to apply them. When I progressed to driving a fairly large American car there I had no trouble with traffic.

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 07:52:35 AM »
..... but if you are not slightly aggressive and too defensive at the same time, you will not move in any traffic jam. Sure, most of the traffice only travels about 40kmh, so nipping in and cutting off others is not that hard and not as dangerous as it seems.....

Correctomundo. If you drove by normal western road rules, you\'d never get anywhere in the PI traffic.  There simply is never a time when the gap in traffic is long enough to pull correctly out of a side road, or the road ahead is clear enough to overtake safely. You need to squeeze, push in etc, and nobody really has a problem with that, as they all do it.  ;D

I learned the rules on a motorcycle, in Angeles,  which makes you painfully aware what the real road rules are, and how to apply them. When I progressed to driving a fairly large American car there I had no trouble with traffic.

I also drive the same way as everyone else but find it more tiring. I much prefer the more civilised manner found in other countries.

I find the same problem in supermarkets where people block the isles in groups chatting and will not move for you.

Colin

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 03:11:26 PM »
\" people block the isles in groups chatting\"

The mentality is...............wherever they are is THEIRS SPACE!! Common Curtice ISN\'T a long suite around these parts

Deal with it!!

BTW, if you do the same, most likely you\'ll be knocked out of the way with an angry face!!

Mentality/logic..............IT\'S THEIRS, not our foreign better ideas!!!

Learn to adjust or get the #($*$&# OUT OF THE PHILIPPINES, THE COUNTRY ISN\'T FOR YOU!!!
B-Ray

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 09:19:43 PM »

The mentality is...............wherever they are is THEIRS SPACE!! Common Curtice ISN\'T a long suite around these parts

Deal with it!!

BTW, if you do the same, most likely you\'ll be knocked out of the way with an angry face!!

Learn to adjust or get the #($*$&# OUT OF THE PHILIPPINES, THE COUNTRY ISN\'T FOR YOU!!!
B-Ray

:-X

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 09:29:04 PM »

Deal with it!!

B-Ray

A little extreme, I prefer a simple \'excuse me\'  ;)

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 02:55:24 AM »
OK,things are a lot clearer now. Thanks for the advice guys especially Bruce (funnily enough i have been informed of an ex pat apartment building in Cavite with 2 bed places available)

I am fairly sure I looked at that place personally a few years ago if it is the one 1/2 kilometer from the mall (robinsons or SM - you can see it from your window).

Clean place and they had a van available for rent when you needed to go shopping. It had an ok price for \'foreigners\' as well - middle of the road. I passed on a whim and went with a house. Tons of expats to talk to when u get bored... maybe 8-10 units there.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline philipo

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
Hi, thanks for all the information provided although i appear to have triggered(unintentionally) a heated debate about common courtesies! 
BC boy: you said:

\"Marrying a Filipino citizen and aquiring 13A visa makes you a foreign resident.
I have only been at it for 5 months and still deciding if its my cup of tea. I have been looking into the on line teaching thing where you can fetch an advertised 13-18$/hr. But finding most demand a bachelor degree in something. \"

Can you tell me how you picked up your job? Was it through word of mouth or agency or by just direcly approaching the school? You said you make 250/hr, what would be the likely rate with a TEFL certificate and 2yrs teaching experience? Is 500/hr a reasonable expectation?
As to Dylanaz, we decided to look for somewhere more central in the Marakina area(Eastwood to be precise) so i didnt follow up the Cavite  connection, sounds like a nice place though.

keep it simple like a pimple!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog