Author Topic: any advice for a newbie?  (Read 10661 times)

Offline philipo

Re: any advice for a newbie?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 09:59:44 PM »
Change of plan!!
After careful consideration of all the points raised in this thread and some other sites i have decided that living in Manila may not be a wise decision, for a number of reasons but primarily down to the lack of response to my job enquiries, the number of horror stories(which far outweigh the positive stories), the seemingly ridiculous level of crime and the traffic congestion.
So, i am inclined to go to Cebu instead judging from what i\'ve read about the work prospects(teaching) and the overall standard of living. Anyway i\'ve just started looking into that now so my original statement stands regarding work, housing etc.
Don\'t worry i\'m not compiling a Philippines city guide! I just think Cebu sounds like the far better option, so if there are any Cebunites(is that a word?) out there drop me a line please.† ;D
keep it simple like a pimple!

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 12:30:46 AM »
It may be a word but not the correct one, Cebuanos is better

Cebuano is also the language, also known as Binisaya (for the larger language group of the Visayan islands).
The term Visayan and Bisayan are sometimes used in place of Binisayan

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 01:47:45 AM »
..... the number of horror stories....
Oh, those horror stories. Everybody has one to tell about the Philippines.† :D ;D

I heard them all when I first arrived, the motorcyclist chopping off of the Rolex clad forearm with a bolo, and catching it in a bucket. The trike drivers taking punters down the back alley and robbing them of everything. The gas slipped into the air-con on the tourist coach, and everybody wakes up naked and possession-less.

Thing is, you rarely meet anybody it has actually happened to personally. It is always \'a person a friend knows\', or \'a guy I heard of\'.† ;)

I don\'t think Manila is any more dangerous than any other big city.

Still, you have to go where the work is I guess.

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »
Can you tell me how you picked up your job? Was it through word of mouth or agency or by just direcly approaching the school? You said you make 250/hr, what would be the likely rate with a TEFL certificate and 2yrs teaching experience? Is 500/hr a reasonable expectation?

Direct approach, asked to see school head if possible and if not smile pretty and leave a resume. I think 250 is the average native ingrish speakers wage. Though i am not certain i think 500 is a dream\' certificate or not...sorry. Try Cleverlearn or Bigfoot. And don\'t try my school because you will most likely take my job lol. Then again maybe you should, not really enjoying my experience there.

PS you spelled directly wrong.... :P

Offline philipo

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »
Ok thanks. I was hoping to get something arranged before i landed there but if i have to turn up in person then so be it. i have emailed Cleverlearn along with a few other places but no response!
So if i just turn up on the spot would i not have to wait a while before they process my visa or is it like China where you can start immediately and they grease the right palms in the interim?
I guess there is a lot of demand for these jobs so unless i have more qualifications† than Stephen Hawkings i\'m at a slight disadavantage right?
Right place, right time it seems.
Ha ha trust a teacher to pick up on my typo, that was actually deliberate. ;)

Offline philipo

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 06:00:42 PM »
Forgot to ask, why you not enjoying it? What type of school is it?

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 06:28:20 PM »
Forgot to ask, why you not enjoying it? What type of school is it?
It has growing pains thus making for a stressfull environment. It is an international English learning school. Steven Hawkins...hardly. You just need to be a charismatic foreigner with English as your first language. Since you have a certificate and you are a young man(if memory serves correct) you should be a shoe in(shoe in is an idiom...look it up) joke.

As far as visa goes, you have 21 days initially, if you get a job they will take care of working visa. I forgot to mention now is the off season but there may be a push for the winter holidays, most students are from Korea. I think you are better off in China or Korea teaching wise.

What is your bio again? And i only noticed the typo when spell checking my reply †;D

Offline philipo

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »
Well, growing pains seem to last well into teenage tears at some schools! I have experienced that here, best just to keep your head below the parapet(another idiom) sometimes.
Not familiar with that term bio, do you mean my history? If you call almost 40 young then i spose i am ;)
I must correct you also, \"shoe\" is a noun.

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 06:51:16 PM »
Well, growing pains seem to last well into teenage tears at some schools! I have experienced that here, best just to keep your head below the parapet(another idiom) sometimes.
Not familiar with that term bio, do you mean my history? If you call almost 40 young then i spose i am ;)
I must correct you also, \"shoe\" is a noun.

lol  :D

Well then you are the same age as me, how coincidental!

this should help you with BIO http://tinyurl.com/24tzkj9

ya history, while staying anonymous of course.

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »
LOL my school just shut down. Showed up today and got word, not enough students. So ah....may i suggest Davao City as a really nice place to live† ;) But seriously if you end up here i will show you around. I am going to persue other things, but have not ruled out on-line teaching.

Offline philipo

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »
sorry to hear that, but as you said it wasn\'t the best school out there. Good luck finding something new.
Yes, i\'ve been checking out the whole online thing too,its new to me so i\'m not sure what dangers, scams may be waiting for me. Keep me updated on your progress please.
Well my situation as it stands is this- †:-\\
I\'m going to move out as planned in December to Manila, check into a cheap hotel for a week and check out the lie of the land, meet her folks, hit a few schools and see if Manila is to my liking.
If not i\'ll jump on a plane/ferry to Cebu and do the same.
As i\'ve read on here a number of times, boots on the ground seems to be the way forward.
Thanks for the offer to link up, i may well take you up on that if i make it to Cebu, although even if i decide to settle in Manila i will no doubt be hitting the beaches/bars and shops :( (if she\'s with me) there at some point.
Good luck with the job hunting!!!

Offline philipo

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »
P.s- thanks for the Davao tip ;), BTW whats the name of your school just so i can warn other people about it?

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
P.s- thanks for the Davao tip ;), BTW whats the name of your school just so i can warn other people about it?

I would rather not say, but you really dont need to warn anybody. Schools out for evah...

Offline philipo

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »
Ha ha, well it was worth a try.† ;) No, i\'ve fired off a load of emails today to various schools/centres in Cebu but if its anything like the response i got in Manila, i\'m not hopeful :(

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
Ha ha, well it was worth a try. †;) No, i\'ve fired off a load of emails today to various schools/centres in Cebu but if its anything like the response i got in Manila, i\'m not hopeful :(

it would seem the world financial climate is affecting the \"i want to go to another country to learn English\" crowd. But i have heard countries like the UK and Canada now require immigrants be able to speak English so this would be a boon to the industry.

There are Jobs at local schools for native English speakers.....but you have to be prepared to live within the means of a local salary. There is a English school for local children you can try to contact, Benthel Asia School.(benthel_asia.com)

Full on large class full of teenager type deal. Not my cup of red rose.

man now i totally am crossing my T\'s and dotting my I\'s....lets call a truce eh?

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog