Author Topic: How far down will the Peso go?  (Read 15914 times)

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
Re: How far down will the Peso go?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 04:20:28 AM »
Marmite???? Your biased mate, ::) ::) ;D ;D
Good for making a hot soup-like drink. Made it
during winter time.
I still have 4 x 600g jars of Vegemite left from when I went back
to Oz in 2010.

I also have 5 jars of Golden Syrup.
Janet uses the Syrup for making that egg dish \"Leche Flan in place of
crystallising the brown sugar.

Graham

Ditto the same way Mrs Gee now makes leche flan here in the UK. Anything that contains 6 ducks eggs must be good for you (I say to myself). I don\'t know if they sell golden syrup in any form in the Philippines, otherwise we will have to bring our own supply for the extended stays we plan in future.

2.4 kilos of vegemite on your shelves eh, don\'t get it confused with the syrup  ;D

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 03:56:21 PM »
Paul,

I have never seen Syrup in any of the malls here.
I have seen the green tins of malt tho\'. When I was young
I used to wait \'til Mum n Dad went out, and then get a
desert spoon and I was into the Malt. The malls
here seem to be starting to cater for the explosion of relocating
expats as the selection of food etc. is expanding.

One of the malls has this \"you-beaut\" selection of
fruit juices from Thailand. Goji, Pomegranate, Red Grape,
Peach etc. I used to just drink water but I\'m now hooked
on these juices....have no idea what \"Goji\" juice is, but by
heavens it\'s nice.

I\'m fortunate in that I have a mate who lives and works
here in CDO, but he also goes back to Oz every 3-4 weeks
and will bring back most things for me if I ask him.

Graham

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 08:38:39 AM »
This is a new forecast for the dollar to peso exchange rate in the Manila Papers Today

Tom / Roxas City

Peso forecast to end year at 40.80/dollar

MANILA, Philippines - The local currency the peso, which appreciated the past four weeks by around half a percent, closed 12.5 centavos higher on Thursday at P41.47 per dollar, boosting the likelihood that the local unit would gain more strength and end the year at about P40.80 per dollar under a foreign bank forecast.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 05:33:30 AM »
Well if this news article Peso seen to hit 30:$1 next year is even close to correct then many of us may be pretty upset
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 05:51:12 AM »
Quote from: \"Mr. Lee\" post=47769
Well if this news article Peso seen to hit 30:$1 next year is even close to correct then many of us may be pretty upset

The article\'s title doesn\'t reflect the statements made:

\"The peso could strengthen to the 30-level against the dollar next year as investors continue to flood emerging markets regardless of the outcome of the US elections on Tuesday, an investment bank said.

In its latest research note, Bank of America-Merrill Lynch (BofA) said it expects the peso to average 41 to a dollar by the first quarter of 2013, before appreciating further to 39.80 for the rest of the year.

BofA’s forecasts are stronger than the government’s official assumption of 42-45 next year. The peso closed at 41.18 on Wednesday, the last trading day before the holidays.\"

I think they meant to print 40:1, not 30:1...    Maybe I\'m missing something?  Or maybe they\'re using the SWAG method.   ;)   :P
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
Quote from: \"Mr. Lee\" post=47769

The article\'s title doesn\'t reflect the statements made:

\"The peso could strengthen to the 30-level against the dollar next year as investors continue to flood emerging markets regardless of the outcome of the US elections on Tuesday, an investment bank said.

In its latest research note, Bank of America-Merrill Lynch (BofA) said it expects the peso to average 41 to a dollar by the first quarter of 2013, before appreciating further to 39.80 for the rest of the year.

BofA’s forecasts are stronger than the government’s official assumption of 42-45 next year. The peso closed at 41.18 on Wednesday, the last trading day before the holidays.\"

I think they meant to print 40:1, not 30:1...    Maybe I\'m missing something?  Or maybe they\'re using the SWAG method.   ;)   :P
I think 30 to 1 is a misprint! No expert's crystal ball is that reliable to predict that kind of a low exchange rate all of a sudden!  ???
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
Article in todays paper on Piso

Tom/ Roxas City

Peso Registers Its Biggest Appreciation
In 2012
By CLARISSA BATINO (BLOOMBERG)
December 28, 2012, 5:41pm
The Philippine peso is set for its best annual advance since 2007, spurred by the fastest economic growth in Southeast Asia and speculation that the nation is on track to win its first investment-grade rating.

Standard & Poor’s raised its outlook on the country’s BB+ debt rating to positive from stable last week and said an upgrade is possible in 2013 as public finances improve. The peso reached its strongest level since March 2008 last month after official data showed the $225 billion economy grew 7.1 percent last quarter, the fastest pace in two years. Its rally in 2012, Asia’s best exchange-rate performance after South Korea’s won, prompted the central bank to impose limits this week on banks’ non-deliverable currency forwards positions.

“The Philippines turned into the darling of investors in 2012 as growth exceeded expectations and further upgrades look imminent,” said Dalmacio Martin, senior vice president at BDO Unibank Inc., the nation’s largest lender. “Benign inflation allowed the central bank to cut policy rates four times this year, while a narrowing budget deficit enhanced our allure.”

The peso strengthened 6.7 percent this year to 41.075 per dollar at 10:37 a.m. in Manila, data from Tullett Prebon Plc show. That’s the biggest gain since a 19 percent appreciation in 2007. The currency climbed 0.1 percent today and was little changed from a week ago. Philippine financial markets will be closed Dec. 31 and Jan. 1.

One-month implied volatility in the peso, a gauge of expected exchange-rate swings used to price options, fell to 4.4 percent from 7.75 percent a year ago.

S&P’s decision to bolster the nation’s credit outlook on Dec. 20 came a few hours after President Benigno Aquino signed into law higher tobacco and liquor taxes, which are estimated to boost revenue by 184.3 billion pesos ($4.5 billion) in the first four years of implementation. The credit assessor last raised the rating by a notch in July to the highest sub-investment grade, followed by a similar move by Moody’s Investors Service in October.

The country’s inflation rate fell to a five-month low of 2.8 percent in November, according to the most recent data. The central bank reduced its benchmark overnight borrowing rate by a total one percentage point in 2012 to an all-time low of 3.5 percent. The government’s 11-month budget deficit of 127.3 billion pesos was less than half the 2012 ceiling, according to a report yesterday.

The Philippines will likely reach investment grade in 2013 and managing the currency would become “more challenging” by then, central bank Deputy Governor Diwa Guinigundo said Dec. 21.

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas imposed a ceiling for non- deliverable forwards for local lenders at 20 percent of capital, and 100 percent for foreign entities, Governor Amando Tetangco said in a Dec. 26 briefing. Banks have two months to comply with the regulation, which will be reviewed after six months, Tetangco said.

Earlier this year, Bangko Sentral ordered lenders to provide more funds to cover risks on forward transactions and banned overseas investors from its special-deposit accounts. Capital controls won’t be necessary at this stage, Tetangco said this month.

“Excess liquidity and lingering positive sentiment will remain as drivers, but it is difficult to replicate the same results next year as we have become relatively expensive,” Martin said. “Regulatory prudential measures will also limit returns.”

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2016, 10:49:21 PM »
The peso is now closing in on 48 to 1 US dollar, what a difference some years make.
http://tinyurl.com/jykghnb
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Online suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2016, 11:31:09 PM »
Next year watch how things go with all of the infrastructure projects planned.  It's a huge amount of money.  Most (all) infrastructure projects will have foreign company partners.  So if those projects actually get out of the planning stages a lot of money will be going out of the PHL to pay these foreign companies.  Money going out of the PHL means a weaker peso.  U.S. interest rate hikes means a weaker peso.  It could go to 49 or 50 next year.  (This is not me talking but bits and pieces I read here and there.)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=PHP

XE Currency Converter: USD to PHP
1 USD =49.1243PHP

2016-11-10 22:32 local time
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
P55 = $ by the end of January 2017

P57 = $ by the end of December 2017
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2016, 12:43:43 PM »
We don't need the rate fluctuating crazy n either direction.  Just fairly steadily adjusting to what it needs to.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »
As long as it's caused by the rising dollar not falling peso. Falling peso means inflation to compensate.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2016, 08:55:59 PM »
P55 = $ by the end of January 2017

P57 = $ by the end of December 2017
Just curious, any reason you think this way? I am deciding to buy pesos now (BPI online) for our next trip over or wait until we get there in February..

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog