Author Topic: Converting Photos to Works of Art  (Read 3487 times)

Converting Photos to Works of Art
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:31:13 AM »
It is better to have a hobby than to drink yourself into an early grave. Here is one of the many hobbies that I dabble with sometimes, converting Photos to Works of Art. There are many programmes that will do the conversion automatically, but the one I found recently is better than most and it is free. It is called PhotoSketcher and can be downloaded from http://www.fotosketcher.com/ . Here are a couple of samples that I have produced with it.

This is an oil painting from a photo I took many years ago while staying at Inagawan Prison Farm.

This is a drawing from a recent photo of a restaurant on Bakers Hill in Puerto Princesa

These conversion do not require any artistic skill, you just select the style then play with a number of different parameters to get the result you want. These can be printed very cheaply on canvas and hung on the wall.

Colin

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Converting Photos to Works of Art
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:12:03 AM »
It is better to have a hobby than to drink yourself into an early grave. Here is one of the many hobbies that I dabble with sometimes, converting Photos to Works of Art. There are many programmes that will do the conversion automatically, but the one I found recently is better than most and it is free. It is called PhotoSketcher and can be downloaded from http://www.fotosketcher.com/ . Here are a couple of samples that I have produced with it.
These conversion do not require any artistic skill, you just select the style then play with a number of different parameters to get the result you want. These can be printed very cheaply on canvas and hung on the wall.

Colin

Thank you, Colin.  This looks very interesting.

If it works well with images of people, it would be fun to convert some \"boring\" photographs of family members into faux paintings... I could hang them along the stairwells and pretend to be an English aristocrat. ;D

As an added benefit... it might distract me from overdosing on shooting pool and bowling.

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline hdmule

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »
Colin .. thanks ..... that program is addicting ...... started out just browsing and ended up 2 hours later still playing around with it ......

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Nice ! Thanks for sharing Colin.

Do you have your own Mat cutter - or do you have them made up at the local bookstores?
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »
I used to do something similar some 8-10 years ago when part-time editor of sailing magazine, added a slightly different touch to the photos I received with articles....and articles without photos needed a pictorial addition

The oil painting you produced certainly looks much better quality than the product I was using; can\'t see much improvement with line drawing over the years

Yes very enjoyable tool to play around with

Stores aren\'t exactly givng pix-to-canvas away dirt cheap, I believe they realise it\'s a \"foreigner\" thing and upping price accordingly

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
Nice ! Thanks for sharing Colin.

Do you have your own Mat cutter - or do you have them made up at the local bookstores?

I used to do some mounting and framing in the UK, but have not done any since I have been here. I used to cut the frames with a Radial Arm Saw but I gave that to my brother when I left the UK. I still have some basic tools, but a local shop does a good job of mounting and framing.

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 08:38:17 PM »
I still have some basic tools, but a local shop does a good job of mounting and framing.

Colin

I shipped a miter box and saw - just forgot a mat cutter.
I will try the local shops then. SO far I have never seen a double mat for some reason. Thats my goal... it just looks - nice ....

Almost a dozen tubed limited prints sitting here looking silly until I find a good mat
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 04:59:37 AM »
Kewl.  I just downloaded it and had a quick peek at it.  Looks like I\'m going to have a lot of fun with this one.  Thanks Colin.   ;D
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
A few years ago I posted details of a painting programme called Fotosketcher (in this thread) http://www.fotosketcher.com/ . It has since been updated a few times, has a better interface and is still free. A simple programme, but very good value  :)

If you want to advance beyond that, I suggest Mediachance Dynamic Auto-painter http://www.mediachance.com/dap/ , which is not free. I have recently downloaded a lot of new styles for it, some of these are from famous painters but you can create your own and apply it any photograph. It is also entertaining to watch the painting being slowly created. Here are videos showing it in action
Small | Large
and
Small | Large

You can get the results printed very cheaply on ‘tarpaulin’ in the Philippines. See my earlier posts.

At one time I liked Artmaster, but as well as being not available any more, it has been superseded by newer programmes. I particularly like the Topaz plug-ins for Photoshop and similar editing programmes.

The difference between a photograph and a painting is that a photo often has too much detail, particularly in the background. To make a painting more effective it is often necessary to first simplify it. It is worth using a photo editor first to get better results.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog