Author Topic: 16 y/o PI grad moving to US  (Read 4193 times)

Offline indyfrenchy

16 y/o PI grad moving to US
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
My concern is when I bring my fiancee and son (16 y/o) over to the US, will they accept his high school graduation education in the states and let him start a JR college or trade school?  I appreciate any and all information provided with this subject.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
Re: 16 y/o PI grad moving to US
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:28:59 PM »
My concern is when I bring my fiancee and son (16 y/o) over to the US, will they accept his high school graduation education in the states and let him start a JR college or trade school?  I appreciate any and all information provided with this subject.
They may or may not. Remember, the US uses a 12 year grade system while the RP only uses 10. God Bless....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline halibaitor

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:54:46 AM »

Trade school shouldn\'t be a problem as most of them are private/for profit schools.  Colleges normally give the incoming students tests to determine proficiency.  Remedial classes are then assigned as necessary. 

Since he is only 16, it might be a good idea to just enroll him as a Junior in High School, as it should be free.  That way he can easily get up to speed with the system in the US.  College you would have to pay for, and probably pay extra because your student is not a resident.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:56:02 AM »
Look into GED......it\'ll let you know if he\'ll be OK or it will highlight areas that he needs work on....

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:30:58 AM »
Evrything said so far in this thread is TRUE !

Some schools have no problem with an outside of usa high school grad because their own placement tests will indicate what areas the student excels or lacks (I have 1st hand experience with this).

Many in USA Graduate 12th grade at age 17 or 18. The age of 16 would put that teen around grades 10-11.

There is soooo much they will not know in a USA school - the same as an American here in Philippines will be lacking ALL of Filipino history.

How many AMerican kids do not know about

1. Cowboys and Indians
2. Nations forefathers
3. First President of USA
4. Who is Napolean
etc...

There will be a LOT of gaps to fill in - which are restricted to local (USA) life only...

High school is a good option...

SO is College or a university !

Everyone so far has given good info - eitehr way - Take a college placement test - You will have YOUR answers in ONE FULL DAY of testing !

GED will give the same results as a college placement test = let you know where your child stands in USA standards !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:22:37 AM »
Why would you want to put a 16yo kid, especially a foreign one, in with 18 - 20+ year olds.  IMO it would be better to put him in high school even if he could by-pass it.

Offline indyfrenchy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for your experiences/words of wisdom.

Offline joepitts42

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »
My wife and I came to my home in the US 3 years ago. She has a college degree in IT from a provicial college and a Masters in Accounting from U of Cebu. 
She was required to take testing in the US and was graded at Grade 6. 
At age 16, your son may be able to pick up English grammar.. very difficult for a person of 30.  Also, students from non-Tagalog speaking areas may not have the English competancy of those who do not have to study \"Filipino\".
My wife tried Community College without much success.  She has had best results from adult high school programs where she went from GED.
You may try ASVAB practice test (many on-line).  They appear to be a good source of preparation.
Also.  For myself. I would start with high schools fro a 16 year old.  If only for the social aspects.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog