Author Topic: A quick question re pounds or euros  (Read 9037 times)

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
A quick question re pounds or euros
« on: March 15, 2008, 03:25:27 AM »
I,m coming over this Monday for another visit, I\'ve got a handfull of Euros as well as british pounds. Instead of converting the Euros at my local bank for Pounds, can I just change them for Pesos once I,m there and save on the commission in UK. Has anyone worked out if there is any differance to the conversion rates for both; ie; Pounds to Pesos compared to Euros to Pesos ( being that the Euro is around 1.4 to the pound over here ) I guess what I,m trying to say is will I get a better rate by keeping the Euros or changing them to Pounds before I come.
ps.  Does the money changers accept the larger €100 euro bills ?
Thanks guys
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Re: A quick question re pounds or euros
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:21:43 AM »
ps.  Does the money changers accept the larger €100 euro bills ?
Thanks guys

Yes, they\'ll change whatever u have last time I was there  ;D. Now, it\'s same I guess.

Offline up2u

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 07:52:44 AM »
euros can be changed, it has to be cheaper than converting them twice, I changed 500 euro bills no problem

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »
When I changed 4000 euros into pesos I had it all in 100 Euro notes, money changer advised he\'d pay slightly more for 50 Euro notes YMMMV

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 01:42:38 AM »
Thanks Captainron , I will change them to 50\'s in Amsterdam while I,m waiting for our next flight,

John
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:35:23 AM »
When I changed 4000 euros into pesos I had it all in 100 Euro notes, money changer advised he\'d pay slightly more for 50 Euro notes YMMMV

The same often applies to large notes of any currency.

Colin

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 04:24:04 PM »
Colin,
The reason I originaly asked about the Euros was because I was a bit confused about the methods used in my wifes village on my last visit in November last year. No problem to exchange the \"English\" £20 pound notes, was getting I think around 82 peso per pound. The last week I was there I handed over 5 of the brand new designed £20 notes and they said only 56 peso for these ones !! Mind you,..have you seen the new look £20\'s,... if any note looked fake, this is the one !! I have several hundred to bring over and they even \"feel\" fake to me. I,m hoping they,ve got used to them over in the Phils before I come over on Monday !!

John

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »
John, try not to discuss how much money you are carrying with you, you never know who is watching this site and your pictures. Keep all matters of money private. Maybe it is better to put it in the bank and only pull out what you need from an ATM when you get here. I just did the math here and that is a lot of cash to be carrying.

Keep it out of site, only pull out small peso bills from your wallet or pocket, be sensible, we like our friends to stay just that way.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline coutts05

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »
John, welcome back to Philippines! :=)  Just a tip for your notes conversion, every time my German Uncle and family come over for a visit, they find \"CZARINA MONEY CHANGER\" has the highest value of conversion so far. Higher than the banks, than malls, and other private financial institutions....

- coutts05
n/a

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:19:33 AM »
Cheers Wayne for the advise, I do think I,m pretty safe with my cash. Although I,m a big guy, I still know I can fall down with a few theives on my back or worse. But as you rightly say, we don,t know whose watching the site.
Anyway, I,m hoping to have a good relaxing holiday and catch up with my freinds over there for a few beers and a good laugh. The weather here in Scotland is totally miserable, so I,m hoping to get plenty heat back into my bones.

Here I come !!!!

John

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 07:43:07 AM »
Colin,
The reason I originaly asked about the Euros was because I was a bit confused about the methods used in my wifes village on my last visit in November last year. No problem to exchange the \"English\" £20 pound notes, was getting I think around 82 peso per pound. The last week I was there I handed over 5 of the brand new designed £20 notes and they said only 56 peso for these ones !! Mind you,..have you seen the new look £20\'s,... if any note looked fake, this is the one !! I have several hundred to bring over and they even \"feel\" fake to me. I,m hoping they,ve got used to them over in the Phils before I come over on Monday !!

John

Hi John,

I have been away too long to see the new notes. I would recommend that you follow Waynes advice and pay most of them into the bank and use an ATM for your spending money. Apart from the risk, if you had problems changing them before, then you may have problems again. I have a suspicion that the larger notes may be used for black market operations, and a new and relatively unknown design may not be acceptable and therefore not get a better rate. The larger notes have to be clean and unmarked.

Colin

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »
I don\'t understand the value of the GBP, over rated in the Philippines IMO, (National dept to England)? But, either it or the Euro is far better, (like almost 50/ 100%), then the U.S. dollar here in the Philippines!

Enjoy your stay!!
B-Ray

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 12:46:57 PM »
I don\'t understand the value of the GBP, over rated in the Philippines IMO, (National dept to England)? But, either it or the Euro is far better, (like almost 50/ 100%), then the U.S. dollar here in the Philippines!

Enjoy your stay!!
B-Ray

All the currencies are tied together, if for example you get $2=£1 and P40=$1 then P80=£1. I don\'t understand how the system works, but I can\'t see how the £ can be seen as overated in comparrison to the $.

Colin

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »
Colin, think of it this way, currently the pound and euro are appreciating and the USD is depreciating, if a money exchanger takes in pounds or euro today and cashes them in tomorrow he may get a better return than say today, however if he takes in Dollars the way the dollar is deprciating, it may be worth less tomorrow, is that right ben?
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
Colin, think of it this way, currently the pound and euro are appreciating and the USD is depreciating, if a money exchanger takes in pounds or euro today and cashes them in tomorrow he may get a better return than say today, however if he takes in Dollars the way the dollar is deprciating, it may be worth less tomorrow, is that right ben?

The GBP was at over 2 to the USD a few months back. It is now around 1.97. I believe that is depreciating. The Euro has been fairing much better going from 1.30 to 1.55ish lately. The USD is currently over 44 to the Piso. The highest it has been for some time

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog