Author Topic: Moonshine  (Read 18891 times)

Re: Moonshine
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 01:12:42 AM »
Fish
Not sure where to get malt over there but I did find a site that tells how to make small batches...
Try this...

http://byo.com/feature/284.html

i think one could substitute rice for the grains without any problems... just would give a different taste to the final product.

Most Japanes beers are rice beers

\"Now, there is a process for brewing rice beer. First, rice is milled in order to remove the oils and protein from the rice. This leaves behind only the starch. The more thorough the milling process is, the more desirable the final product will be.

The reaming starch is then converted into sugar by enzymes, and the sugar is converted into alcohol using yeast. The two different fermentation processes involved in the rice beer brewing process mean that multiple fermentation is used in the brewing of rice beer.

Better Than Beer?

How is rice beer better than or different than regular beer? One of the main differences is where the enzymes that convert starch to sugar come from. When brewing rice beer, these enzymes come form a mold called koji. However, when brewing regular beer, these enzymes come from malt. While both rice beer brewing and regular beer brewing involve multiple fermentation, it is only in the brewing of rice beer brewing that these processes can occur simultaneously.\"

- http://www.beermakingsupplies.co.uk

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 01:29:15 AM »
I really enjoyed Taiwan Beer.
Not sure what it was made out of, but it was probably rice since that is the predominant grain in the region.
Verrry tasty with some wasabi snacks

SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline BigBird

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 04:18:55 AM »
Makkoli

Drink a pot of this stuff and get up and walk away (if you can).

Those old popposon men in Korea introduced me to this home brew potion! 

Offline BigBird

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 04:22:31 AM »
Maybe spelled like makgeolli too.

Offline captmel

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 02:55:33 PM »
You can substitute rice for barley, just makes the beer thinner, which is perfect for a hot climate.

Offline captmel

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 03:03:23 PM »
Check out www.morebeer.com  They ship international.  Dry yeast is the way to go for the long shipment. 

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 11:47:36 PM »
Thanks captmel, I\'ll check it out...
Good to hear from ya... keep posting
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline le0n

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 07:54:42 AM »
Hi Rufas,

New to this forum but been distilling hooch for years. Easy enougth to do the fermenting there in the Phils, all you need is a plastic fermenter which can hold about 30 litres ( 9 US gals or 7Imp gals )  No need for expensive ingredients. I always use for a 94% ABV neutral tasting Vodka. When diluted back to 40% it\'s about 8 litres of drinkable ready to be flavoured or added to say Coke.

5 Kilos white sugar.
1 cup tomato paste ( for yeast nutrients )
juice of 1 lemon and 2 desert spoons of bakers yeast

All of which would be freely available there. Only problem I can see is building a still but hey if you know how I\'m sure some of the shops would have the bits and pieces needed.

If your at all interested to learn the basics go to  www.homedistillers.org   and read, read and then read again. It\'s all there including plans to build your own still. My still at present is a Nixon Stone Offset Head Valved Reflux design.

Cheers and best Regards   Leon.   ;D

,-._,-.
\\/)\"(\\/
 (_o_)

Cheers Leon...

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 08:29:22 AM »
Leon,

Welcome to the group and Thank You for the \'shine tips.   ;D   I\'m sure many of us will give it a try.  I know I will!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can hardly wait to set up my still as soon as we relocate.  My father in law is good at making lambonog so I\'m certain he can help me set up a good still.  Who knows, we might \"invent\" a new brand of liquor.   :o

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 08:54:21 AM »
Leon,

Welcome to the group and Thank You for the \'shine tips.   ;D   I\'m sure many of us will give it a try.  I know I will!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can hardly wait to set up my still as soon as we relocate.  My father in law is good at making lambonog so I\'m certain he can help me set up a good still.  Who knows, we might \"invent\" a new brand of liquor.   :o

I used to make home made wine, and a friend froze a bucket full in his freezer and as it thawed he got liqueur from the bottom up to fruit juice at the top. ;D

Colin

Offline le0n

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

Made a small mistake on the stilling web site.  one s too many

http://www.homedistiller.org/

Cheers   Leon    ;D
,-._,-.
\\/)\"(\\/
 (_o_)

Cheers Leon...

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 12:24:25 AM »
Hi Guys,

Made a small mistake on the stilling web site.  one s too many

http://www.homedistiller.org/

Cheers   Leon    ;D

Leon,

Thanks for the correction  I wondered where I was when I visited the site.   ;D

Offline pollaccia

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 01:52:29 AM »
Is any of the American brands available there in the Philippines?  Such as budweiser and my favorite michelob!  If so what is the cost?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
Is any of the American brands available there in the Philippines?  Such as budweiser and my favorite michelob!  If so what is the cost?

You can sometimes find them in the larger cities, but be prepared to pay twice as much as you would in the US.  Remember, in the RP they would be the \"imported\" brands.   ;)   ;D ;D

A much better option for you would be to find a local beer you like.  Try San Miguel Light, or maybe Colt 45. 

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
COLT 45...
EEEEEWWWWW!
You trying to kill the man, Jack?
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog