Author Topic: Retiring to the Philippines after 30 years  (Read 7462 times)

Re: Retiring to the Philippines after 30 years
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 05:36:03 AM »
Question: If a filipina obtains her U.S. citizenship, I understand that it is an automatic renouncement of Philippine citizenship. Now, what happens to the validity of that brand new Philippine passport she just obtained?  ??? I\'m afraid to think it becomes worthless  ??? ??? So, now she needs to apply for a U.S. passport and then proceed with RA9225 to re-acquire. Then will she even need a new Philippine passport  ??? ??? ???  :-\\

The simple answer is she will retain both.  My wife Gloria is a naturalized US citizen and carries a US Passport when we travel, as our primary address is the US.  She also has a renewed Filipino passport with her married name, issued before she took the US oath. 

When we return to the Philipines to stay and make our new home there, she will reacquire her Filipino citizenship under her married name, renew her Filipino passport before it expires and retain both passports legally.  Should something drastic happen and it becomes necessary for either she or I to return to the US, she will have her US Passport to gain entry. 

Does the Philippine Passport become unnecessary?  Not the way I doing things.  I\'d maintain both.   Your mileage may vary...

Another horse before the cart question: Okay, so....she owns the land and the house we just built. She gains U.S. residency and renounces her RP citizenship. Now, could she not be placed in some legal quandary with land ownership as a non-citizen. If she technically renounces, does she forfeit her property ownership rights?  ??? She is wondering if it is even worth it to open this can of worms. Nothing seems easy.   ??? :-\\ :-[

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »
Gaining US residency, she will not have to renounce her citizenship. Gaining US citizenship, she will.
After she gains US citizenship, just go to the nearest Philippine embassy/consulate and pay $50 & retake her oath.
She will now be a dual citizen and property in the Philippines will no longer be an issue.
Even if your wife does not reacquire her Philippine citizenship, she will still be able to own land under the former-Filipino statutes.

If you\'re curious about real estate laws in the Philippines take a look here...
http://www.islandsproperties.com/resources/realestatelaws.htm

Here\'s some more...
http://www.makaticondo.net/Former_Filipino_Buyers/page_1718771.html
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
My man, Rufus!  Always handy with the proper answers.  The check is in the mail.   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog