Author Topic: Natural or Wood House  (Read 15196 times)

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
Natural or Wood House
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »
Hey Guys

Ive done a lot of digging and reading here on this topic, and I still have some questions.

When it comes time to build, we would like a more natural or wood home. Seems most expats go with concrete and stray away from wood or natural building materials. I know a lot of the locals cant afford big concrete homes, so they live in nipa huts...depending on where you live.

My wifes parents have one concrete house....and one nipa hut on their property. I definately felt more comfortable in the nipa hut. The concrete house was like prison walls...not much could be done to make them look any better.

Does anyone here stay in a natural or wood house?

Termites are the main issue...but Ive read this.

So long as the infestation has been eliminated and the structure was not compromised, yes.

In the South the matter of termites is not one of \"if\" but \"when.\" I highly recommend if you purchase the house that you use a company that uses termite stakes and treats with a spray a few times a years or you do it yourself.

I keep the stakes from Spectracide around my house and spray about 3 times a year for termites and carpenter ants. I\'ve sold a house that had an infestation before I moved in, was treated, and I self maintained with stakes and spray and when termite letter time rolled around, I passed. No active infestation.
Source(s):
I\'ve treated two of my houses and two houses of clients all of which had at one time termites. Once treated and eliminated, maintain the treatment and you are good to go. It\'s the South and termites are our snow. You prepare for it.

Also ...Is using hardwood cheaper...or more expensive than concrete.

Thanks Guys

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Natural or Wood House
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:03:20 AM »
A friend of mine did a bit of both with his place.† I have permission to share the photos as long as I keep his identity and location private, so don\'t ask.†  ;)
We\'ll just say he\'s south of Manila and leave it at that.†  ;D

He built a concrete center support, making it his \"receiving area\".† Inside is the washing machine and other utility connections, as well as interior stairway to the living level:

He then constructed a coco lumber, hardwood and bamboo house on top:

Inside the house he has a modern, tiled CR:

The rest is breathable bamboo walls and floors, even furniture!† He says he\'s not yet had problems with either wind or rain, much less termites.† He used treated bamboo, then covered it all under several coats of clear finish.

Coffee bar and kitchen:

No need for aircon, the walls breathe!
View from kitchen to living room:

The lot is fully fenced and with the house raised off the ground, there\'s plenty of room for the vehicle as well as a place for the dogs to get out of the rain and sun and have free roam to guard the property.† Total cost was around $30,000 because he insisted on the best quality materials, fixtures and appliances available.

I could live like this!†  :)

Louisville, KY USA

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:33:36 AM »
Hey!...thanks for the photos and details...perfect.

My wifes cousins are well off....hes an executive for Syngenta in Manila...they can afford a big home. They have a newer home...but I still feel its not finished...looks rough to me. Seems they can never really get the walls smooth...so most is textured.

But I stayed in a natural home while there in Manila and really liked it....open ceilings...and similar walls in the photos you put up. You could argue about security...but dogs tied to the back and front could suffice....I think.

We are looking to put the home on beach property....and arent into trying to make a mini-mansion. Stay somewhat native...common man type thing....dont stick out.† $30,000 for that huh....interesting....any links to similar sites or builders appreciated.
Im sure there are other pros and cons with a natural house.....but your friends place looks like home ;D....get some trees for shade!!

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »
Most people in the Phl put bars over their windows to prevent burglaries.† The combination of bars on the windows + a wood house creates a potential death trap in case of a fire.† Fire is less of an issue with a concrete house.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »
Most people in the Phl put bars over their windows to prevent burglaries.† The combination of bars on the windows + a wood house creates a potential death trap in case of a fire.† Fire is less of an issue with a concrete house.

Before you are granted an occupancy permit you have to go through a number of formalities including an inspection by the fire department. They will tell you what you must have in the form of fire escapes, fire extinguishers and smoke alarms.

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »

Before you are granted an occupancy permit you have to go through a number of formalities including an inspection by the fire department. They will tell you what you must have in the form of fire escapes, fire extinguishers and smoke alarms.

Wait...this is interesting.

There is one hut to the left of our property.....a hut....fire alrams in a hut?.....nail them to a bamboo post?
There is another hut to the right.....half open...open windows....or no real windows.

Ive been in a few nippa huts.....and never saw anything close to a smoke alarm....they were lucky to have a TV....I saw chickens indoors...fire inspection?....maybe Im missing something. Did they need a permit to build a hut?

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:01:42 AM »
In our are Capiz Province no permit for Nipa Hut needed to build, apply for electrical connection etc may be different in your area average Nippa hut will last about 3 years before the termites and rot get to it roof about the same time

Tom/ Roxas City

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
There is obviously a size limit below which you don\'t need a permit, this will be determined by your local planning department. A single room nipa hut will not, but a multiroom permanent residence will. If you are not sure, just ask but you may then be asked to contribute to the \'hospitality\' fund† ;) ;D

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:30:56 AM »
In our are Capiz Province no permit for Nipa Hut needed to build, apply for electrical connection etc may be different in your area average Nippa hut will last about 3 years before the termites and rot get to it roof about the same time

Tom/ Roxas City

We want a corrugated roof...........and also use treated hardwood.
Do termites and rot ruin those building materials in 3 years?

About the permits.....Im starting to understand the fee thing ;)...while riding a trike from the property...we were asked to contribute to the road workers...gov transportation workers....the fact they all held machetes helped. :o

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 03:46:44 AM »
Corrugated roof might last 3 years, might not.† Go the extra expense and get metal roofing panels available locally that look like ceramic barrel tile.† They can even be had with insulation to reflect heat.
There are other styles available as well.† They look better and will last much longer than the typical corrugated roofing.†
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:10:04 AM »

We want a corrugated roof...........and also use treated hardwood.
Do termites and rot ruin those building materials in 3 years?

About the permits.....Im starting to understand the fee thing ;)...while riding a trike from the property...we were asked to contribute to the road workers...gov transportation workers....the fact they all held machetes helped. :o

Hardwoods such as Ipil are termite proof and don\'t need treatment. Termites will soon chew through untreated soft wood, and also books >:(

You need to clear the area of termites, they can burrow up to 50 metres. The ground around where you are planning to built should be treated and that should be repeated often. We have a temporary storage hut about ten metres from the house and that is now being eaten by termites, it will make it easier to knock down ;D

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »
Our house is mostly made from wood...We treated everything that is unseen with two coats of used motor oil and have absolutely no damage from Anay or Bok bok. The house is built with Gemilina and Mahogany and approx 5 years old.
We have a couple of a/c`s but never use them to be honest.. The double leaf nipa keeps everything so damned cool.. My expat friends cant believe it.
There are small nipa huts in our area that are 15/20 years old and are still good.. They will last as long as the roof does..So maintain the roof!!
Our roof will last another 10 years at least.

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »
Great pictures Fred.....thanks! Its a very nice looking home.

Any photos of the interior? I imagine you have solid hardwood floors....correct?† Also...do you worry about break ins?

We were wanting the steel roof....insulated....as mentioned by Gray Wolf..... The beach is shaded and cool.
Then treated hardwood as mentioned....no untreated wood in the house....cabinets or furniture.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
Unfortunately we are in our concrete place here in Manila at present with no pictures available..Just those below.. Since here I have noticed that we need A/C most of the day..Not looking forward to the power bill this month!
The floors in most of the house there are 2X4 Mahogany and the walls are stud †made from 2X2 †gemilinina.. The outta skin is the local diamond patterned Sawali and the inside is 8x4 hardiflex.. The windows are pretty traditional hardwood frames with modern locks on the inside and the doors are solid mahogany with heavy duty locks fitted.. We always have people in the house 24/7 and 5 dogs loose on the outside.. The bamboo in the second pic looks much better now that it has all been stained a mid oak colour..
We brought 10 smoke alarms with us from the U.K and they are fitted in appropriate areas of the house.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »
A friend of mine did a bit of both with his place. †I have permission to share the photos

Here\'s a link to an updated photo album of my friend\'s bamboo house:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/litenup-b-happy

Fred, that is one fine looking house, my friend!† You should be proud of that one!† I would have no issues living in a house like that.† Damn fine job!
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog