Author Topic: A Return to Our Paradise  (Read 1747 times)

A Return to Our Paradise
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »
This past April, we traveled to Samar for the first time in 10 years. We arrived in Manila at NAIA, were met by my wife\'s sister and flew from there to Calbayog City. Calbayog has become a 1st class municipality in recent years and has made the top 15 cities list in the RP. It\'s not a huge city but has everything you need with a newly designed wet and dry market center, new transportation hub center, Robinsons Mall coming, and rumors of a large hypermarket. While there are a few expats in the area, it generally pretty laid back with a little slower pace as compared to more populated areas. We have been building our home there just to the north of Calbayog along the coast, under the supervision of a brother-in-law, and it is nearing completion. We spent 10 days in the area and visited some area eco attractions (Calbayog is noted for area waterfalls) including a few really nice beaches and did some mountain hiking. Mostly we accomplished much resting, relaxing, eating and more eating with some SMB consumption. Overall, I was happy with what the area offers and will be pleased to live in this community. After our stay in Samar, we then headed to Marivelles, Bataan (origin of the Bataan Death March) and spent 4 days there with trips around the city, a day on the mountain river, and then a day trip up to Subic Freeport. There we visited friends, seen some old sights, and recanted some old memories. Subic has changed much since I was there last in 1990 but I was still able to drive right to our old apartment. My asawa was impressed with my GPS instincts and commented \"he can remember exactly where we lived 26 years ago, but he can\'t remember to take out the garbage.\" Overall, I\'ve seen much progress and change to the Philippines standards of living since I last visited with many more people driving SUV\'s, large malls, western franchised eateries, many more resorts and entertainment venues. Infrastructure has been vastly improved, IMO, with roads, utilities, communications, etc. To those who live there and think that change never comes to the RP, maybe you haven\'t been there long enough!  ;D We hope to be returning soon, hopefully by the end of the year, but this time will be one way proposition! 8)

Offline Robm

• Sr Member
Re: A Return to Our Paradise
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:07:41 PM »
Hi Kano,

My wife is from Samar. Just down the western coast a few hours from you near Hinabangan. I call it the boonies, middle of nowhere. We have a house there for her family and a place for us when we visit. I have been to the northern side around Catarman. There are a few small expat areas around there. I actually bought a beach lot in that area. Dont know if I will ever use it but the price was just too good!

I havnt spent to much time exploring Samar. I do know that around her home town is one of the largest caves in SE Asia. They do \"extreme\" spelunking there. I have to try that some time! I have about 4 or 5 years before i make the move and still dont know where we will end up.... other than it will be on a beach somewhere. We have a house in Cebu (Talisay) as a home base when we visit there.

Take care
Robm

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog