Author Topic: Solar Panels.  (Read 35184 times)

Offline Pulalei

Re: Solar Panels.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58:40 AM »
Ok...I guess until someone like you invented the perfect inexpensive cooking stove prototype, we village folks stick to gathering firewood in the mountain like we always do to cook our food when the shellane gas tank runs out and no money to buy a replacement.  I do appreciate the fact that someone like you or your group are trying to help find ways to make our life as Filipinos a little easier. Thank you Manong Metz.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »
Well I do have a rocket stove design I have been working on also.  I set a lot of fires in the back yard, trying to get a good economical design.   

I think I have gotten there now though.  I posted the CAD files awhile back, but it takes a CNC machne or a good length of tubing to make.  I got it down to around 500 pesos materials.  I thought I had a marketer for it, but the guy keeps insisting on redesigns and making it cheaper, which then do not work.

It works well with wood, lights easy and you can cook a entire meal on a couple sticks. 

I prob will release this one as open source like I did my brick making machine.  Funny, my brick making machine is used in Africa, but no one here is interested even though you can make a brick for 4 pesos with it.

Offline Rob from Mel

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »
Metz , we have many mud brick homes here in Victoria , Australia defineatly in with arty and green crowd anything up to and above 2000 square feet , had not thought of this for down Digos way with a wide verandah , but it is now on my thought list , also some of the more adventurous are using a rammed earth style wall in leu of mud bricks , regards Robert .

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 03:45:48 AM »
Should we just trash the topic on this discussion?  I mean, we're now discussing stoves, bricks, mud walls and rammed earth buildings!   :o ???

SOLAR PANELS, SOLAR PANELS, SOLAR PANELS!!!!  If you want to discuss stoves, bricks, rocks, wood or anything else, start a new topic please!   :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
Hi guys, first post so please be gentle.
Solar panels are of particular interest to me.
Here in Australia, I have 5.7 kW's on my roof that generate an average of roughtly 25 kWh  per day.
I have not paid a single cent to the power company for two years..... and they have so far given me over $4000.00 in solar credits ($$$)  for the privilege  8)
AFAIK, there is no reason why a correctly engineered system cannot feed back into the grid.
If you have one of those "spinning disc" power meters, all that will happen ( as long as the sun is shining and your house is using less power than the panels are generating, the excess power will flow into the grid thru your meter, spinning it in reverse.

An ideal 1:1 ratio !!

The grid effectively becomes your storage "battery" ( at no cost to you )
Your excess gets "stored in the grid" , when it rains or the sun isn't shining, you just suck them kW's back out of the grid !

I am not sure what happens if a "digital" meter is installed....... some experimentation would be required.

Just because the power company ( Meralco ) is not setup for it, does not mean it cannot happen. I have had a few discussions with them, all to no avail........

I am still toying with the idea of setting up a domestic solar PV business in the Philippines. I can see a substantial untapped market.

My research to date has proved that
A: Meralco has no idea
B: The few solar companies that do exist have no idea.
C: A golden opportunity awaits !!  :D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:37:18 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 09:45:08 PM »
Just because the power company ( Meralco ) is not setup for it, does not mean it cannot happen. I have had a few discussions with them, all to no avail........

I am not programmed to respond in that area!  :P
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2013, 01:39:58 AM »
I am still toying with the idea of setting up a domestic solar PV business in the Philippines. I can see a substantial untapped market.

And if the present price increases go through that opportunity will be far more attractive. Go for it.

P.S. - The REAL Leinster? Carlow here.

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2013, 06:14:58 AM »
P.S. - The REAL Leinster? Carlow here.

Define "real" ??

My Leinster is some 400 km north of Kalgoorlie.... so pretty much the middle of WA (Western Australia)
Used to live there, now I just FIFO to work there.

And, It's a long way from ANYWHERE !!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:44:08 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »
LOL - must have been some Paddy who named that. The real Leinster is a province in Ireland - my place. Best rugby team in Europe. 

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 06:03:35 AM »
Hi guys, first post so please be gentle.
Solar panels are of particular interest to me.
Here in Australia, I have 5.7 kW's on my roof that generate an average of roughtly 25 kWh  per day.
I have not paid a single cent to the power company for two years..... and they have so far given me over $4000.00 in solar credits ($$$)  for the privilege  8)
AFAIK, there is no reason why a correctly engineered system cannot feed back into the grid.
If you have one of those "spinning disc" power meters, all that will happen ( as long as the sun is shining and your house is using less power than the panels are generating, the excess power will flow into the grid thru your meter, spinning it in reverse.

An ideal 1:1 ratio !!

The grid effectively becomes your storage "battery" ( at no cost to you )
Your excess gets "stored in the grid" , when it rains or the sun isn't shining, you just suck them kW's back out of the grid !

I am not sure what happens if a "digital" meter is installed....... some experimentation would be required.

Since the storm here (and 3 weeks without power) I have been doing a bit of research in regards getting off grid here with the use of solar panels.
There is a Philippine law that allows grid ties..One problem is though that the electric companies here have mostly done away with the old meters that turn backwards when you return power to the grid..
The law stipulates that we have to deal with the power supplier and they are supposed to fit an additional meter.. The existing meter is import and the new one, export..(the power we export to the grid) I`m not sure if we can sell the power back to them at the same price we get it for but guess what?...I doubt it.
A large battery bank would be essential for me as I want to eradicate brown outs and power cuts due to typhoons etc and the ever rising costs of KWH`s here.
We have a small private company here that can install a 3kw system for around 500K Pesos.. I`m looking at ways to import panels and inverters etc from China in BB boxes..Perhaps from Hong kong..
Not sure if this is possible but if anyone has info on that then please give it to us on this thread!!
Cheers,
Fred.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2013, 06:12:03 AM »
If you are interested in grid ties in the R.P check out this presentation.. A lot of good info..
http://portal.sliderocket.com/BTIEO/net-metering

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2013, 06:18:35 AM »
There's a Filipina member on here from Las Vegas and she and her husband has a solar panel business and I'm sure she has connections here in the Philippines of suppliers and or installers, but off hand I can't remember her name.
I too am interested to know more about building or getting installed a solar system suitable to our electricity needs! For a poor country such as the Philippines, their cost for gas and electricity is outrageous! Something has to be done about it sooner rather than later! 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2013, 06:30:24 AM »
Looks like that net-metering is far from being a reality! Private owners and or the private individuals will just have to take it upon themselves to be self sufficient from not relying in returning power back to the grid at this point in time!
I would just like to have our own solar power system installed at a reasonable cost and pay for itself in the long run and be completely off the gird not having to rely on our local electric power company!   
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 06:30:37 AM »
There's a Filipina member on here from Las Vegas and she and her husband has a solar panel business and I'm sure she has connections here in the Philippines of suppliers and or installers, but off hand I can't remember her name.
I too am interested to know more about building or getting installed a solar system suitable to our electricity needs! For a poor country such as the Philippines, their cost for gas and electricity is outrageous! Something has to be done about it sooner rather than later!

Indeed.
We were without power here for 3 weeks..How is it that my last power bill is almost the same as normal??
Only in the P.I!!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
No way one can guess what goes on in the electric companies here. My electric bill was almost two and a half times normal last month. I went ahead and paid it thinking it was the increase they had been talking about. The I get my bill this month and it is back down to its normal range. Go figure, I had not used any additional power than we normally do. Only thing I can think is somehow when they read the meters the punched the neighbors reading into my account who does run at least one AC that I'm aware of.
If and when I get out of Manila and get my own place definitely will be looking at Solar.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog