Author Topic: Building our house in a sub-division  (Read 15524 times)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Building our house in a sub-division
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 03:35:52 AM »
Looks good Art.  That is like what I would be interested in.  Nothing elaborate.  Modest, quaint, comfortable inside and out with nice surroundings and convenience.  But, yeah, some condos can have their upside.  Fact is though, even after I get there, I am still taking a few years to scope it all out before I would make a decision.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 04:19:43 AM »
Chuck, whilst I \'think\' we have double sockets I am not really sure. When we arrive there next month and see it for the first time we will find that out - plus a whole lot more I imagine!!

Lee, whilst we got some upgrades done there are a host of things I know we will find out shortly that we would have got done had we been in residence locally there during construction. I haven\'t heard of termite coat for woodwork, I don\'t know whether we had that on our house, but probably not. Termite protection was one of those things I was going to enquire about when we got there.
   We have had split aircon installed - what is a shut off, that you mentioned?

Art, it is always nice to hear that someone is happily settled in their house in the Philippines, it gives hope to people such as me, and other members, that it is all worth fighting for. We have relatives living in Cabuyao, is that anywhere your area of Laguna?

Bud, I agree that taking your time is the way to go - repent at leisure as they say. Our purchase was 3 years in the making, and only after we found the ideal house in the ideal sub division at the right price for us - ie relatively inexpensive. The area as a whole suffers from being close to Angeles and many sub divisions are charging bloated prices, or so it seems to us.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 04:30:16 AM »
Quote from: \"paulgee\" post=46996

Lee, whilst we got some upgrades done there are a host of things I know we will find out shortly that we would have got done had we been in residence locally there during construction. I haven\'t heard of termite coat for woodwork, I don\'t know whether we had that on our house, but probably not. Termite protection was one of those things I was going to enquire about when we got there.
   We have had split aircon installed - what is a shut off, that you mentioned?

Paul

Lots of uncontrolled termites in the Philippines, get the wood coated ASAP IMHO but I think it would have been better if done before installed and painted. Raw wood face in is very edible to termites.

An AC shut off switch should be outside next to the unit on every split type system for safety reasons and to make it easier for the repairmen to be safe when working on them.

[attachment=71]acshutoff.JPG[/attachment]
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
Quote from: \"paulgee\" post=46996

Art, it is always nice to hear that someone is happily settled in their house in the Philippines, it gives hope to people such as me, and other members, that it is all worth fighting for. We have relatives living in Cabuyao, is that anywhere your area of Laguna?

Paul

Cabuyao is about 2 miles from Sta Rosa off the SLEX exit just before the City of Canlubang and Calamba, but coming from Balibago on the national highway, it\'s about 3 miles. Just recently Cabuyao has been designated as a City and the Mayor sponsored a little celebration at their city hall with a handful of top Filipino singers, like Jed Madela and Rachelle Ann Go and TV host Vhong Navarro. My wife attended the celebration just last week with a friend of hers who was a college classmate of the wife of the Mayor. They had a good time even though it was pouring down
rain from Typhoon Gener!

Not the actual song they sung at Cubuyao, but just to show
who they are: Jed Madela & Rachelle Ann Go, both are
Asia/International singing champions!
[video]http://http://youtu.be/cWLSLRdb3NY[/video]
Small | Large

And about termites, they are a nuisance! Any non hard wood should be treated before installation!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »
House Build – final months

As we got toward the end of the build we found out that the water pressure for our sub division, and also adjacent ones, was quite poor. It was doubtful our electric showers upstairs would get the pressure needed to work, especially at times of increased demand. So we did what a few other homeowners had done, and had a well drilled, to 120 feet, and water pumped up to a pressurised tank. This went well, the water quality is supposedly  good, we will get it tested when we are there. But, the cost we paid did not include joining it to our house water supply, another lesson learnt in checking what we were paying for, though my brother-in-law there did do that for us.

Another item which was not included in the cost of the house was … drainpipes! The developers fitted guttering all round but just left that. It would have cost another P15k for them to supply and fit all the drainpipes, but again my brother-in-law came to the rescue, buying the drainpipes, borrowing ladders from the developers and fitting them with the help of a friend. Cost, less than a quarter of the previous quote.

Because we would only be part-time occupants for security we had metal grills fitted to all doors and windows. The same local local metalworkers also made stainless steel railings for the lanai, then front gates and the railing for the front wall, we had paid the developers to build a front wall, this not being included in the previous amount we had paid towards the boundary walls.

We wanted our boundary walls painted before the imminent rainy season, but the local painters our family there contacted obviously thought we were stupid rich, and quoted a price accordingly. The developers quoted less (that was a first for them!) and we waited for that to be done. With a deadline imminent it proved hard to get them started, and for the only time I myself phoned the chief architect there to complain, nicely of course, and request they get going. This did the trick and the walls were finished just before the first deluges.

We decided on Panasonic split inverter type aircon units. We already had a ‘freebie’ unit fitted in the smallest bedroom by the developers, standard type not inverter. I am not a technical person but scouring the internet for info and tables on calculating the hp of units required for various rooms gave me some knowledge so that when the shop guys came to assess our house I felt reasonably happy with their recommendations. I know they are supposedly usually quoting for larger units than required I was happy with their estimations. But, very expensive outlay that I hope we appreciate when we are there. For the record we have a 2 ˝ hp unit in the lounge area, which is open plan downstairs, and 1 hp and 1 ˝ hp in the two other bedrooms upstairs.

We also had mosquito mesh fitted over  all windows, so we could enjoy whatever breezes there were without being eaten alive my mossies. This cost a very reasonable P11500, considering it included about 12 windows. As with everything else though we look forward to seeing the quality ourselves next week.

Surprisingly enough it was cheaper to order all our furniture from a company in Manila. The exact same items were 20% more expensive from local companies around San Fernando. I presume that being near Angeles we may suffer from slightly higher prices on things such as this

. Of course delivery day coincided with the extreme wet weather when half Manila was flooded, but 2 weeks later it was there. Some of the woods used were not as advertised, so we have a mish-mash of conflicting colours in the bedrooms, and I look forward to seeing the quality of the furniture.

There is a previous thread about the lawn we had laid, that is the only thing benefiting from the current rainy season!

Lessons learnt by the finish:

We paid P3M for the house and lot, I don’t have an exact breakdown of extra costs, but overall it has cost something over P4M to get ready for occupation. The developers started work in October 2011, it is now September 2012 and now just ready for occupation.

Not being there we were unable to stop the aircon fitters standing on our kitchen roof, and causing damage, the same having previously happening when painters used it.

Do not go down the route we did, if you are not living there, or without the wholehearted support and assistance of family there. Without their endless help and support we would have ended up with a much inferior house and without the numerous things which will make life in the house easier for us.

When we arrive there in a few days time I will be interested to see how my opinions change!

Paul

Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
Paul,

Nice house! All I can suggest is, during the next strong winds and rain, see how your windows and sliding doors will fair if the rain will seep in around the edges! That\'s the main problem we have with our windows whenever we encounter strong winds and rain, but it\'s not too bad! I just wished we would of installed double pane and waterproof windows like in the U.S., but they are awfully expensive and we have large windows throughout the house! We don\'t have any sliding glass doors in our home for that reason, where as most of our neighbors do and that\'s what their problems are, water seeking in through the edges of their glass sliding doors during hurricanes!  
Just a thought you may like to know!

Art
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »
Looks very nice. Beautiful home!

One suggestion I would like to make is for you to bring caulking color coordinated if possible since I have seen most a/c units installed without caulking there and from the picture the one through the wall looks like it too lacks caulking.

On the split unit, I wonder why they ran all the way around the window with the hookup instead of taking the short run down the other side but maybe there was a reason? Make sure they secured the outside unit to those brackets, I have also seen where all the do is put the unit on the brackets with just a screw or two and that will not do much in a storm to hold it in place.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 08:23:51 AM »
Your house looks good, I like the large window, and the colour scheme is a lot nicer than the Filipino \'coat of many colours\'  :cheer:

We used Samsung 0.5 hp aircons in the guest bedrooms and study, mainly because they are very shallow and only project a few inches outside the house. They have proved more than adequate, I imagine the insulated walls help a lot. We don\'t have any aircon in our large master bedroom, we made provision for a split unit, but it has proved unnecessary. We don\'t even use a fan most of the time.

We found the opposite with water pressure. We installed a pump and pressure tank instead of the usual water tower, but found that the mains pressure is higher. The pump is set to 40psi, but when we bypass it during a brown out it increases to over 60psi.

We did not get drainpipes fitted either and had to get them added later, it would seem that just holes in the guttering is the way it is done here. Unfortunately the guttering was installed parallel to the ground so overflow during heavy rain. It will all have to be taken down and reinstalled at some time.

We don\'t have any problems with leaking windows, but the builders did not put any slope on our covered porch and during heavy rain with strong winds our entrance hall got flooded. We had to fit canopies over the front and side.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »
In reply #9 there is a picture of the septic tank. Something doesn’t look right. In a septic tank the inlet pipe will sit higher than the outflow pipe. So if you look at the picture, the pipe on the upper left looks to be flush with the top of the tank and the pipe on the far right looks to be about 1 ˝ inches lower. That would imply the left chamber is the primary side and the one on the right the secondary. But the chamber on the left is smaller than the one on the right. That would be wrong, the primary chamber should be larger. Also the fitting in the partition wall is placed as though the chamber on the right is the primary chamber. If liquids are flowing from left to right then that fitting is going to cause problems.

Or maybe the top isn’t level and the right side is the inlet.

If the left side pipe is the inlet, this septic tank will not function properly.

Here is a link to what it should look like.

http://ccwd.com.ph/Latest_News.php?id=14

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 09:20:13 PM »
I was looking at your septic tank and I remember the way we do them in the usa and mine looks different than yours mine is two tanks just like yours one inlet with a over flow hole to the other side mine was dug 10 feet deep he said its the way its done here they need to hit sand bottom I dont know but not like in the usa we are not allowed to throw tissue in at all.any one with the same kinda of tank as me?

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »
If a septic tank is installed correctly and maintained you surely can flush toilet paper. Do not put bleach in the drains that go to the septic as it kills the bacteria that feeds on on the good stuff. As a safety measure I flushed a couple packets of yeast monthly to maintain the proper yeast bacteria levels which breaks down all the solids to include toilet paper. Only time I had a problem with my stateside septic was after I decided to repaint the inside of the house and cleaned all the brushes and rollers in the bathroom shower. The paint which was water based did go down the drain fine but ended up solidifying and clogging up the entrance to the septic tank. Was a quick fix just had to dig down about a foot to where the lid to the septic was, take the lid off and clean the drain also had it pumped out at that time which according to the sucker guy didn't need to be done as it was working just fine. It was the first time in five years that it had been cleaned out. I then installed an extension ring so the opening was just above ground level in the event that I ever had problems again which I didn't before moving here.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »
my tank is just two holes 10 ft  deep until they hit sand no drainage feilds like in the usa is your like this too.

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »
When our home was built, the developers had the huge Poly type septic tanks installed with a water over flow system into our culvert's water drain system as the standard throughout our subdivision! We haven't had any problems with our septic tank system in the 12 yrs we lived here! Our subdivision has an effective water drainage system and we haven't experience any flooding in our area. 

"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
@ WildBill, After rereading your post I realized I had misread it. My septic was the standard duel concrete tank. Solids into first tank which then broke down and the gray water into the second chamber then into a drainage field which was 4 20' side by side 2" PVC pipes with 1/4" holes on the bottom. These were placed on gravel and sand. Sorry for bad eyesight.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 09:35:53 PM »
its okay there medic things here are just done so differently I really hope my septic does okay it has no drainage fields when I asked my contractor why not he said its the way its done here and he explained he yoost to work as a contractor in the usa but nothing he does is like usa standards idk about him ,o -well its only the two of us living here.thanks for your input take care..

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog