Author Topic: Outrageous electricity charges at our new house  (Read 8862 times)

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
Outrageous electricity charges at our new house
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »
With our new house built and signed off we arranged, a few months ago, for the electricity supply to be connected. The local electricity company came round in May and connected us up, the meter is in the post outside I think. The connection charge was around P3000.

The first month there was little usage, just some lighting when family was there checking up on things. The first months bill came to 7 pesos. That seemed fine, our family there paid it for us. I didn\'t realise that you have to pay each months bill promptly, or face being cut off.

The second month we had a little higher usage, having metal grills installed on all doors and windows meant the workers doing that used some electricity. Then we also had a well drilled and a pump and pressurised water tank installed. The electricity bill for this month was 7 pesos. Well, we dug deep into our pockets and got that paid as well. Next month the aircon was being installed so we mentally prepared ourselves for that.

The third month we had aircon installed. Two months earlier we had already had a \'freebie\' 1hp unit installed in the smallest bedroom by the developers, which probably accounted for the previous bills amounts. Although the freebie aircon was the hole in the wall type the three we bought were Panasonic inverter split units, which should prove very economical, they were 1 hp, 1 hp and 2 hp .  We waited with trepidation for the next electricity bill, although the family only tested the aircon, not running it for long periods. Balancing that though was their use of the hot showers, a luxury none of them had experienced before. Finally it came, 7 pesos. Wow, great economy, thanks Panasonic. I had been really concerned we could be in a financial hole with these bills, so no need now for Shirley to take up gainful employment in nearby Angeles City, where I believe there are many opportunities for ladies to \'work\'.

Well, we were quite relieved, and paid it as though money meant nothing to us. I mean, we are rich kanos aren\'t we! By virtue of my 7 times table, learned back in the fifties when such things were taught at school, I calculated that our annual electricity bill could be as much as 84 pesos, unless we cut back on things. Though as we are in residence for several months soon so we may break the 100 peso mark.

So the lesson I pass on to my fellow forum members is to be prepared to have deep pockets if you want to live in paradise. Or am I missing something here ............. ;)

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
Re: Outrageous electricity charges at our new house
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
Paul, I think someone has connected your supply to the wrong side of the meter. Maybe you need to look forward to a day of reckoning!

Richard

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 11:00:25 PM »
Paul,

I think you are missing some zeros in your peso amounts! When you say 7 pesos, did you mean P7,000? Your P3,000 installation cost makes sense though! What about the 84 Pesos? Do you mean P8,400?
3 A/Cs huh? 1 hp, 1 hp and 2 hp! If you had all three running 24/7 for a month, you\'ll probably end up with a P20,000 electric bill at the end of the billing cycle.
We run a 1HP wall mounted A/C in our master bed rm 24/7 and our bill was P7,933 this past month.
We have a 2 HP split type A/C downstairs, but we hardly ever use it, because it stays a comfortable temperature downstairs 24/7 all year round unless it gets really warm during the summer.
Our electric bill should be lower the next following months as the weather this time of year gets cooler until February the latest.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 02:41:52 AM »
Yes Richard, I think we may have a day of reckoning, one day.

Art, by 7 pesos I meant ... 7 pesos. Funny old meter. Thanks for the breakdown of true costs. I hope we will be fairly frugal when we are there September for a few months, as you say it should be a bit cooler then hopefully, maybe not though for a Brit unaccustomed to the climate there. Certainly if we had the aircon blasting out most of each day we would be in for a hefty bill - though perhaps not with the readings taken so far! Interesting that you don\'t need aircon downstairs generally, we will be buying some fans to help out.

Paul

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:20:52 AM »
Paul,

When our home was being built, our electricity was tapped onto the subdivision\'s perimeter grid for a year long after our home was built, because it took awhile for Meralco to install our meter so therefore we paid nothing for a year including our water which runs about P400 a month with normal usage.
Our downstairs stays at a comfortable temperature, but we do have a 2HP split type A/C and 2 electric fans, one to cover the dining/kitchen/living area and the other in our TV/entertainment room, but we seldom use them this time of year. It\'s probably because that our home is made of steel frames with prefabricated cement exterior wall panels with gypsum interior walls/ceiling construction with Spanish style tiled roofing installed by CPAC and the use of cement hollow blocks was minimal.

Art
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline gbrown6usa

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »
We have block construction 3 bedroom home with 1 1hp aircon and ceiling fans in every room.  I run the aircon whenever it gets uncomfortable and the ceiling fans continuously.  Average bill 2500P a month.  I\'m not complaining ;) .

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »
Quote from: \"gbrown6usa\" post=47148
We have block construction 3 bedroom home with 1 1hp aircon and ceiling fans in every room.  I run the aircon whenever it gets uncomfortable and the ceiling fans continuously.  Average bill 2500P a month.  I\'m not complaining ;) .

And you are located approximately where in the archipelago?   :)
Louisville, KY USA

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:16 PM »

P2,500 a month would be our electricity bill this time of year with our air conditioner turned off and with the windows open at night in order to sleep comfortably! So, it\'s doable, but at other times, it\'s on 24/7!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »

Perhaps you have a slow running meter, like ours appears to be. It is funny, however, how peoples electricity bills differ when they seem to have the same usage. I suppose there are many factors, we have the standard hollow block constructed house which won\'t do us any favours regarding insulation. We are also in a low lying area. Others may be more advantageously placed on higher ground.

Also I am sure people are not aware of their true electric usage, aircon blasting out fopr long periods at maybe very cold settings, whilst fans help a lot and the efficiency of aircon units has a big effect. (This last one I am hoping is true, having the latest most effiicient units fitted).

I wait in trepidation for our true usage when we stay over a period of months.

Paul

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 01:30:20 AM »
I just hope my meter runs as slow as the ones some of you guys have.  The thought of consistent $250.00 - $350.00 a month electric bills doesn\'t thrill me that much.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline gbrown6usa

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »
We are in Cagayan De Oro

Offline gbrown6usa

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 08:47:06 PM »
Our aircon is about a 2 yo unit. My wife had bought it but never used it due to the costs involved.  The first thing I did when I got here was to clean all the coils and give it a general once over.  It removes approximately 1 gallon of water from the humidity in our home everyday.  What a difference!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 11:05:53 PM »
Quote from: \"gbrown6usa\" post=47163
Our aircon is about a 2 yo unit. My wife had bought it but never used it due to the costs involved.  The first thing I did when I got here was to clean all the coils and give it a general once over.  It removes approximately 1 gallon of water from the humidity in our home everyday.  What a difference!

And therein lies the difference!  Keeping the coils clean helps the unit run cooler and prevents icing.  Reducing the humidity as much as possible negates the need for cold air.  If you remove enough humidity, you can run the aircon at lower (higher temp) settings.   It will be interesting to see what your electricity charges are on average.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline lanhawk59

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »
We are in Bacolod and our electric bill fluctates month to month. Last month we had a 4K electric bill then this month we had a 7K bill. We used about the same amount of watts but the electric company added an additional 2k worth of charges. Really nothing you can do but suck it up.  :sick:

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »
Quote from: \"lanhawk59\" post=47329
We are in Bacolod and our electric bill fluctates month to month. Last month we had a 4K electric bill then this month we had a 7K bill. We used about the same amount of watts but the electric company added an additional 2k worth of charges. Really nothing you can do but suck it up.  :sick:

Hi lanhawk59. I am in Batangas and our bills are very detailed. If we consume more we incur higher charges and usually it is quite clear on the billing statement what the charges are for. If the electric company has charged you more than they should it will be obvious from the bill. If you feel you really have been overcharged you should at least ask them what has happened.

Richard

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog