Author Topic: Outrageous electricity charges at our new house  (Read 8861 times)

Offline gbrown6usa

• Sr Member
Re: Outrageous electricity charges at our new house
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 01:13:56 AM »
Quote from: \"Gray Wolf\" post=47165
Quote from: \"gbrown6usa\" post=47163
Our aircon is about a 2 yo unit. My wife had bought it but never used it due to the costs involved.  The first thing I did when I got here was to clean all the coils and give it a general once over.  It removes approximately 1 gallon of water from the humidity in our home everyday.  What a difference!

And therein lies the difference!  Keeping the coils clean helps the unit run cooler and prevents icing.  Reducing the humidity as much as possible negates the need for cold air.  If you remove enough humidity, you can run the aircon at lower (higher temp) settings.   It will be interesting to see what your electricity charges are on average.

We have been in this house for over 6 months, my highest bill has been 2500P.  My highest bill didn\'t come during the heat of summer but just this month we am guessing it\'s due to the higher humidity.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »
In Cebu City with VECO they also add a charge called a recovery charge to make up for all those who steal electric and so many little charges that I gave up trying to figure out what they are all for but all the taxes and fees add to the bill quite a bit.   :(
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 04:12:14 AM »
In 5 days time we will be in our \"7 pesos a month electricity charge\" house for the first time. I will report back after we have had subsequent electricity bills when we will be using more electricity. Hopefully we will carry on with these low bills!

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
Certainly everyone\'s electricity bill will vary due to where one lives (inland vs coastline), weather conditions, their lifestyle and the way their home has been constructed, (apt, single/multi-level detached home, nipa hut (open air), house boat, yacht and or high rise condo).
Just by with what everyone has commented on what their current electricity bills are, it proves my logical reasoning why everyone\'s electricity bills are different and the same goes too for one\'s monthly expenses of every sort like transportation, grocery, medical, domestic help (live-in or live-out), building materials, construction and labor costs etc!
Just in my subdivision, my friends and neighbor\'s electric bill ranges from P4,500 to P16,000 a month! So, It\'s all about lifestyle, the size/type of one\'s home and where one lives!
Personally, our electricity bill last month was P7,339.00 with our 1HP A/C on 24/7 and we live in a 2 story prefab built home with a Spanish style tile roofing, sitting only on a 187 sq. meter lot and we live in a sort of an expensive area here in Sta Rosa, Laguna where the cost of an average home cost between P7 million to P25 million and some way above that of the rich and famous Filipino celebrities and or just plain wealthy people from every walks of life and or from different countries, except for me which I\'m just a Fil/Am ex-working stiff and a retired U.S. Government Civil Service employee from Northern California for 15 years now and still loving our retirement lifestyle here in the Philippines!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »
You are all missing the main reason ever ones electric bills are not the same.

The electricity charges vary from area to area.

If you live out side of Manila chances are you are getting electric from a Co-0p here in Panay Island there are severa electrical co-ops

The one for Capiz Province is Capelco the average cost for KW hour last month was 15 Pisos  

If I lived 35 miles up the road and was in Iloilo province the cost would be around 11 Piso per kilowatt different co-op

If you live near a geothermal plant you may have a 2 piso per kw generation charge from the co-op it all depends on your supplier and location and the contracts they have with the power producers

Each co-op signs agreements with power producers at different rates the farther they are from the generating plant will also add additional charges for wheeling fees, systems loss etc

To figure out what you are paying per Kilowatt just take the total bill piso amount of the bill  and divide it into the total kw hours appearing at the top of the Electric Bill

The only way to compare electric costs here is by what you are paying per Kilowatt not by how many air cons you run each month

Tom/ Roxas City

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 09:42:37 AM »
Quote from: \"cogon88\" post=47357
You are all missing the main reason everyone\'s electric bills are not the same.
It\'s so obvious! I\'m certain everyone knew that and were comparing usage costs with our neighbors since some live in subdivisions in track homes with similar size & type of homes and not comparing costs by regions! Everyone also knows that different regions has different power companies so therefore has different operating costs due to population and land mass! :oops:  :whistle:
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »
Quote from: \"Art2ro\" post=47358
You are all missing the main reason everyone\'s electric bills are not the same.
It\'s so obvious! I\'m certain everyone knew that and were comparing usage costs with our neighbors since some live in subdivisions in track homes with similar size & type of homes and not comparing costs by regions! Everyone also knows that different regions has different power companies so therefore has different operating costs due to population and land mass! :oops:  :whistle:

While you may be certain Art, I\'m not as positive as you that \"everyone knows\".  Many are still in shock over the simplest of things.  I think Tom has pointed out a very important detail for determining how much your kuryente costs per KWH

Thanks Tom!
Louisville, KY USA

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
Quote from: \"Gray Wolf\" post=47363
Quote from: \"Art2ro\" post=47358

While you may be certain Art, I\'m not as positive as you that \"everyone knows\".  Many are still in shock over the simplest of things.  I think Tom has pointed out a very important detail for determining how much your kuryente costs per KWH
Jack,

There\'s nothing shocking about it! Anyone can do simple arithmetic, add, subtract, divide and multiply!  
The main cause is location, location, location, type of home, type of A/C, proper insulation, thermostat setting and number of hours A/C is used! Also, your meter may need calibrating or someone may have tapped onto your grid!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
Art I did not mean to start a war with my post and it seems you are still missing the point on comparisons of electric bills it is not entirely about meters, aircon\'s or what type of house you have or the location of the house.

It is about what you are being charged per kilowatt hour by your electric suppler. Someone paying 15 Piso a kilowatt hour and some one else may be only paying 7.50 Piso per KW hour there is going to be a big difference in the bill comparison even if they have the same equipment same house and same amount of hours of use and same location just do the math it is easy as you pointed out.

Have a great day

Tom/ Roxas City

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
Quote from: \"cogon88\" post=47370
Art I did not mean to start a war with my post and it seems you are still missing the point on comparisons of electric bills it is not entirely about meters, aircon\'s or what type of house you have or the location of the house.

It is about what you are being charged per kilowatt hour by your electric suppler. Someone paying 15 Piso a kilowatt hour and some one else may be only paying 7.50 Piso per KW hour there is going to be a big difference in the bill comparison even if they have the same equipment same house and same amount of hours of use and same location just do the math it is easy as you pointed out.

Have a great day

Tom/ Roxas City

There\'s a contradiction in your last sentence, because before you were talking about different regions of the Philippines as to the varying costs, where as I was talking about the comparison with one\'s neighbors and why it would vary in cost! I\'m not making a big deal out of it or a war as you call it! Your point has been taken and so was mine! So, nuff said!
I just don\'t like anyone telling me and others that we missed the point, your words to be exact - \"You are all missing the main reason everyone\'s electric bills are not the same\"! You could of just made your point without the unnecessary adjectives before you expressed your POV or opinion!
This topic wasn\'t about who is right or wrong, but what others may contribute to the subject or bring up something else to get our attention as to a possible reason why our electric bill is high or low!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 05:36:04 PM »
Something has happened to me that hasn\'t happened before whenever I came back from there.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that I tried to cut down on running the aircon so much and had the balcony door open more whenever I was inside.  Anyway, I left there Friday morning and arrived back in Jax late Friday night.  It is now Sunday morning here and during the time I have been back, I raised the thermostat one degree each time because it was too cool. I usually keep my apartment at 76 or 77.  Getting up to 79, would always start bothering me.  Overnight and right now, it is showing 80 in here and I feel just fine.  Later on in morning, I might even try to go up another degree.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »
Quote from: \"BudM\" post=47372
Something has happened to me that hasn\'t happened before whenever I came back from there.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that I tried to cut down on running the aircon so much and had the balcony door open more whenever I was inside.  Anyway, I left there Friday morning and arrived back in Jax late Friday night.  It is now Sunday morning here and during the time I have been back, I raised the thermostat one degree each time because it was too cool. I usually keep my apartment at 76 or 77.  Getting up to 79, would always start bothering me.  Overnight and right now, it is showing 80 in here and I feel just fine.  Later on in morning, I might even try to go up another degree.

Caution on going too high due to mold and mildew. It has been my experience that the places I have seen in the Philippines are made of different building materials and carpet is rarely used. It is important if your home is made of drywall and has carpet, drapes and other items that might absorb moisture to make sure to run the A/C low enough at least once a day for an hour or so to remove the excess humidity in the house.

I even run a dehumidifier in our home in Florida because I keep the A/C up at 79 a good part of the day and turn it up to 80 when we go out and the humidity gauge I have was showing me that the humidity kept climbing when the air was set at 79 or above.  

Our condo in Cebu has all walls made of concrete and even the pipe chases are made of a fire retardant hard board type material and not dry wall and we have only tile floors so I think we can get away with it there to some degree but one time we left a few shirts that my wife washed the day before and were maybe 90% dry and came back to moldy shirts.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
Quote from: \"Art2ro\" post=47371

There\'s a contradiction in your last sentence, because before you were talking about different regions of the Philippines as to the varying costs, where as I was talking about the comparison with one\'s neighbors and why it would vary in cost! I\'m not making a big deal out of it or a war as you call it! Your point has been taken and so was mine! So, nuff said!
I just don\'t like anyone telling me and others that we missed the point, your words to be exact - \"You are all missing the main reason everyone\'s electric bills are not the same\"! You could of just made your point without the unnecessary adjectives before you expressed your POV or opinion!
This topic wasn\'t about who is right or wrong, but what others may contribute to the subject or bring up something else to get our attention as to a possible reason why our electric bill is high or low!

Art, calm down man.  Tom did not contradict himself, and he has every right to point out when someone missed the point he was trying to make.  Please, allow me to explain so everyone will get \"the point\"

Electric suppliers have boundaries, just like municipalities and provinces.  Someone, anyone, living on the boundary of a particular supplier could have neighbors whose electricity is supplied by a different company, and could very easily be paying a different rate per kwh, hence the difference in their electric bill even though they live in the same general area and run similar electrical appliances.

So it\'s not a matter of the ability to perform simple math, although that helps. Iit\'s the ability to acertain from the itemized monthly statement, how much you pay per kwh for your electricity.  Period.  Beyond that it\'s then a matter of hwo many electrical appliances you run, lights being kept on, etc, etc.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »
Just to add to the confusion the rate per KWH can change monthly on your bill.
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 01:02:52 AM »
Quote from: \"Gray Wolf\" post=47374
Please, allow me to explain so everyone will get \"the point\"
Electric suppliers have boundaries, just like municipalities and provinces.  Someone, anyone, living on the boundary of a particular supplier could have neighbors whose electricity is supplied by a different company, and could very easily be paying a different rate per kwh, hence the difference in their electric bill even though they live in the same general area and run similar electrical appliances.
So it\'s not a matter of the ability to perform simple math, although that helps. Iit\'s the ability to acertain from the itemized monthly statement, how much you pay per kwh for your electricity. Period. Beyond that it\'s then a matter of how many electrical appliances you run, lights being kept on, etc, etc.

I\'m sure everyone who has read this topic or contributed to it already has gotten the point every which way it has already been explained and understands it and know how to compute the cost of kilowatt hours and besides, it is already broken down on our billing statement, mine is anyways so as my other neighbors for comparison!
It\'s mostly all about lifestyle and how much one wants to be comfortable in the Philippines 24/7 when at home!
There really isn\'t any confusion here concerning power consumption, just how some people express themselves which just sometimes sparks attitude clashes or due to difference of opinions or POVs!
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog