Author Topic: Cost of living in the philippines  (Read 5969 times)

Offline readytogo2012

Cost of living in the philippines
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:49:34 AM »
Upon moving here, I expected living expences to be extremely cheap.  Now I am seeing that although there are extremely cheap places to live, they are not safe and have absolutely no amenities.  The only places that look half way acceptable are almost the same prices as in America.  I also found that working here and making any sort of income is extremely difficult.  Any comments?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Cost of living in the philippines
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:02:36 PM »
Quote from: \"readytogo2012\" post=47301
Upon moving here, I expected living expences to be extremely cheap.  Now I am seeing that although there are extremely cheap places to live, they are not safe and have absolutely no amenities.  The only places that look half way acceptable are almost the same prices as in America.  I also found that working here and making any sort of income is extremely difficult.  Any comments?

Welcome to the Philippines readytogo2012!
You said it all in your first OP! Just best to return to the U.S. then, if that\'s what you have experience here so far in the Philippines and it\'s not to your liking!
The U.S. has all the amenities you are hankering for and maybe more safer depending where you live in the U.S.! And about working here! Who wants to work for peanuts and long hours unless you are the owner of the company that has all the headaches that goes along with it? Good luck with that!  
\"Pooriegners\" as I call them (foreigners with an inadequate source of income) living in the Philippines will take a great deal of time adjusting to the lifestyle and culture here, it\'s no pick nick in the park for a foreigner out of his/her elements who came from another country that\'s already 1st world class and decides to live in a 2nd or 3rd world country! The Philippines is no longer a 3rd world country, but of a medium pace developing nation! Sure they already have American prices here, but that\'s due to greed and less about on economics to better the country and it\'s people!  
Good luck to you while in the Philippines! Let us all know, if it\'s really \"more fun in the Philippines\" from your point of view or personal experiences while here!
Do I sound pessimistic? No, not at all! Just for those foreigners who doesn\'t understand this country of ours! Yes ours, because I was born here, but raised in the U.S. and returned here after retiring from my job in the U.S.! I\'ve seen and lived on both sides of the tracks and lived with it the best way I knew how and doing just that at the present without any complaints or regrets of living here permanently! I too had to adjust of the ways of life here after a long absence, but now we are doing fine the best way we know how!
Return to the U.S.? That would be our only last resort if need be! At least we still have that option where as some people do not!
                                               \"Life is what we make it to be\"!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »
Comments...... it has been said many times that the Philippines does not suit everybody and it would seem you are one of those that it doesn\'t. I get the impression that you may not have been here long and have limited experience, perhaps only of places like Manila. Not too many people would want to live there. It is a big and beautiful country but you have to be prepared to travel around to find the places that suit you and bend to fit in. You can have a very comfortable life for a small amount of money, but if you want to have everything you had in the US then that is you place you need to go to get it. Don\'t expect to get a first world lifestyle on third world wages. This place is best suited to those with an income from abroad.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
Quote from: \"readytogo2012\" post=47301

Possibly try another area. I find Cebu outside the city (we live in the city) to have lower rents, lower cost of water, cable, phone, dsl, taxis, jeepneys, food in places where locals eat, etc, but if you want a first world life in the Philippines, as my wife and I try to live, then overall it cost us about the same to live in our condo in Cebu City as it does to live in Florida but and it is a big but, property taxes, condo monthly fees, taxis and labor related items are much less expensive in the Philippines but one must be aware that we often get what you pay for.

The Philippines is not for everyone but once a person finds their way around and learns the ropes, then it can be less expensive to live if they are willing to live without some of the luxuries of first world life and change their eating habits. My last electric bill in our condo in Cebu City was about $300 for 80.02 sq meters with the A/C on 24/7 but turned up when we leave the house for the day. My last electric bill in our home in Florida which is at least twice as big was $120 and we keep it cool and run it 24/7 without turning it up unless we will be gone for a long time. We pay $70 for cable a month in Florida with lots of programs to watch with on demand etc and we pay p780 a month about $19 a month in Cebu and I can rarely find anything worth watching but my wife loves the local language channels, so at least she gets to enjoy it and I watch a slingbox on my computer for US TV. Dsl and phone in the US cost me $55 a month for a reliable dsl and in Cebu it cost me about $40 a month for a phone that works but dsl that goes off many times a day and is sooooooo slow most of the time even when it is supposed to be about the same speed as our US dsl.

If a person can accept the things that are not first world, then they can be happy living in the Philippines, but if they expect it to be a first world country, then it is probably not going to work for them.  In my opinion most men go for the women or woman and for the miles of smiles.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:42:15 AM »
Sounds like you did little in the way of researching the Philippines before you decided to make a permanent move.  Have any money left?  I have a piece of mountainside property in Florida I\'d like to sell you.   ;)    :P
Sorry, I couldn\'t help myself.   :)

Seriously, what did you expect and where did you get those expectations?  Yes, there are places in the Philippines with top shelf amenities, but they\'re at top shelf prices, too.  There are few jobs for Filipinos, even fewer for foreigners with no special skills or abilities.    

I think I\'ve found what I want, but it\'s not near a big city.  But then what I was looking for was a place to relax, do some fishing, some gardening, grow some fruit trees and spend my days enjoying the 50 years I spent working for a living. Without a guaranteed source of income even that simple life would be difficult.

I\'ve told hundreds of people over the years that the Philippines is not for everyone.  It takes someone who is willing to accept a different culture and be happy in it.  If you aren\'t happy, it will ruin everything else in your life.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline jmauser

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 10:09:11 AM »
Welcome ready2go2012!
If you really want to find something more suitable, stay off the internet searches, look around the town you like, ask the locals you know/trust.
 \"If you are on the internet, you must have money\", so you will be charged accordingly. I would fall into the \"Pooreigner\" classification, but we were very lucky as far as housing goes, we got a little home/apartment on prenda for 10 yrs. No running water, but it is available.
I tell everyone that wants to live here, you need to decide what kind of person you are first. There are basically two kinds;
1 I want to make the Philippines just like the place I left. :huh:
2 I want to live in the Philippines, the place I moved to.  B)
I am still acclimating to the lifestyle here, but am so much happier! I sent several BB boxes before I left, full of \"necesities\", now I think, \"who needs them\"?!
I am one of the lucky ones, I have a wife and son who love me, and another on the way. For me, it really is more fun in the Philippines!

John
(still nothing witty comes to mind)

Offline jmauser

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »
GW,
Is that property near Zephyrhills? I seen no hills or Zephyrs, last time I was there.
John
(still nothing witty comes to mind)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 11:28:14 PM »
Quote from: \"jmauser\" post=47316
GW,
Is that property near Zephyrhills? I seen no hills or Zephyrs, last time I was there.
John

Hey John!  If you\'re asking about the place I found that suits me best, it\'s no secret.  Near Vigan, Ilocos Sur.  
Others have tried living near there but weren\'t happy and moved to different places.  But like many have said, it\'s what suits you personally that\'s best.  

It\'s like picking out a pair of shoes.  There are many different styles to choose from, plus you have to try them on to see if they fit and feel good.  Same goes with a place to live and call home. If it doesn\'t fit or feel comfortable, you need to move elsewhere until you find a place that does fit.  That\'s why we always tell people to rent first to see if you really like the area and people living there.  

For me, it\'s Vigan!
Louisville, KY USA

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:53 AM »
Here\'s what some people like about the Phillipines, because it does have some nostalgic scenery from the past and where Gray Wolf lives in Vigan has some pretty good nostalgic scenery anyone would enjoy to see and experience the old lifestyle from the past and also possibly experience affordable living in those types of areas.
The photos below are from Intramuros, Manila and San Juan, Batangas, but it has it\'s similarities to Vigan and other regions of the Philippines!
Me personally, I prefer the more modern suburban upscale western lifestyle with all the amenities, which we do have here where we live in Sta. Rosa, Laguna! We only live in a nice little simple home centrally located close to everything we need or of just walking distance, but we love it here and here we shall stay!
It\'s beginning to be another Alabang in the making, but more spread out! Tagaytay and certain areas of Batangas are also beginning to be too expensive and are somewhat catering to the rich and famous, besides the famous beach resorts where the rich and famous flock to! Who doesn\'t want to own a piece of paradise! Some do!    

http://pinoyshooter.org/bogs/category/nostalgia/
[attachment=93]7230388.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=94]SanJoseBatangashouses5.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=95]SanJosechurch.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=96]SanJoseoldhousesBatangas12-1.jpg[/attachment]
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 02:56:08 AM »
Just so we don\'t lead anyone astray, I don\'t live in Vigan yet Art, but I hope to be soon.  I file for my retirement in just a few weeks and should start receiving my checks by Feb or Mar 1st.  I plan to go back to Vigan soon after that to find a temporary place to rent until we find the right piece of property.
Louisville, KY USA

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 04:02:37 AM »
Quote from: \"Gray Wolf\" post=47319
Just so we don\'t lead anyone astray, I don\'t live in Vigan yet Art, but I hope to be soon.  I file for my retirement in just a few weeks and should start receiving my checks by Feb or Mar 1st.  I plan to go back to Vigan soon after that to find a temporary place to rent until we find the right piece of property.
Good for you Jack, I\'m happy for you and congratulation on your retirement!

Just to cheer you on, here\'s another scenery from the Philippines!
http://vimeo.com/tedramasola/videos/page:3/sort:date
If the video won\'t play see it here:

[video]http://[/video]
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
Quote from: \"Mr. Lee\" post=47309
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

If a person can accept the things that are not first world, then they can be happy living in the Philippines, but if they expect it to be a first world country, then it is probably not going to work for them.  In my opinion most men go for the women or woman and for the miles of smiles.

Apparently he wasn\'t one of those most of guys moving here for the women or woman I guess or else he should have been happy on his first post.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
Quote from: \"BudM\" post=47322
Quote from: \"Mr. Lee\" post=47309
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Apparently he wasn\'t one of those most of guys moving here for the women or woman I guess or else he should have been happy on his first post.

Only he can tell us his reasons for moving to the Philippines but sometimes the love of a good woman or him possibly being a butterfly is not enough to make a person happy with having to change their whole lifestyle. Change is not easy to do for many of us, I know I had struggled with many issues during our time living in the Philippines and even my wife has had a hard time dealing with some issues after living in the US and seeing that they do not have to be the way they are done in the Philippines.

As Art says, life is what we make it, so only we can learn to live with things or let them bother us. I know I have learned to live with most of them, yet still prefer my life in the US where I can be myself and not have to worry about wearing a good watch or jewelry since many people  do.

The days of living like a king in the Philippines on a low amount of income seem to be past tense for many of us, yet still possible for some of us, all depending on our own definition of living like a king.

The one thing I find so much easier about life in the US is living on credit cards and paying them once a month instead of having to carry cash or having to use my Philippine ATM card to pay for everything and then having to go home and deduct it from my running tab on that account.

The second thing I find easier about living in the US is that I do not stand out in a crowd which can be either good or bad depending on what gender the crowd consists of.  :P   :whistle:
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline coldfeet

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 06:03:35 AM »
Good for you John.  I like the way you look at life.  I lived in Mexico for almost 12 years until the drugs and killings started.  I enjoyed their lifstyle because I recognized that I was in their country and not the US.  With that I was well received and had no problem until the drug issues.  Now I would like to move to the Phil. and live as happy as I did in Mexico.  I believe I can adjust to their lifestyle with no problems or complaints about missing the creature features of the spoiled US citizens.  Go for it!!!  Ron

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 04:28:32 AM »
I have never stayed longer than 4 weeks in the Philippines, and that was when I got married here. Next week we start a 3 month stay there in new house.

Despite what people say about living costs in the Philippines everyone has a different lifestyle, so I am looking forward to seeing what my, or rather our, cost of living will be. Of course it will be slightly false as this is not full time living there, but nevertheless the results will help us decide how much time we can afford to live there each year.

We are taking a goodly amount of money, and I certainly hope we don\'t spend it all, but this is also a celebration of my retirement so I will take into account any excess expenditure when I calculate our cost of living  during our stay.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog