Author Topic: WE\'RE MIGRATING BACK TO SMF!!  (Read 10692 times)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: WE'RE MIGRATING BACK TO SMF!!
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »
Colin,

I always appreciate your posts with your home build and photographs on Flicker and now your new website of your Home Journal!
It's never a waste of your time! Many of the old time members have left, but Mr Lee and I have returned and new members are constantly joining! The 5616 members I quoted came from Jack, I was just using his reference even though I too don't see the other 5616 members postings, but only a handful as you mentioned! If you look at other old forums, that the number of members are also way up there! 
So, don't give up the ship! As Mr Lee told me, treat all members on forums as friends so that misunderstandings and pissing contests don't occur too often!   

Art

Art, thanks for the appreciation, but I am getting a little tired of the word negative used against my posts. Also there seems to be this circle of buddies which seems to exclude outsiders, not a good thing on any forum. There is literally only a handful of people left on this forum, and being negative :P what is the attraction for others to come back? This forum has been going since 2006 and almost all the information that anyone would want is there readily available. It just leaves a social scene and general chat.

Those of us that have lived here for many years can share our experiences but not against a background of criticism. I have always been willing to help and even returned after being banned by an ex moderator for disagreeing with him outside the forum. I am very slowly generating a new super web site for the benefit of anyone who cares to read it, and it will not have a forum.

We had an all Brit meeting with the British Embassy staff last week and we met a number of other Brits living here in Puerto. I passed on my existing web site details and received some very favourable comments. There is obviously a need to spread around our knowledge and feel that independent blogs could be a better way.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »
You know what Colin?  I seem to have gotten that feeling of the exclusive club you refer at times too and yes, I am a newbie as I have only been registered for a little over a year.  I have learned a great deal of information from here though during that time and during the year and half to two that I lurked.  Some of that information has come from things you have said.  And if that club exists, I still have learned from them too even though some of it is repetitious.  If they want to exclude though, so be it.  Sometimes I dwell on it but then I think, so what?  I don't need them.  But then in a previous post you say  "There was a good crowd here in the early days but they have virtually all moved on.  I will watch with interest to see if you can get it back on track."  So what does that mean?  Is there not a good crowd here now and we are a lost cause or did I just read that wrong?

I kind of like this forum a lot.  This is the only one I am a member of and I rarely read much of anything else on a couple of others.  I sure am not going to let a couple or a few people drive me off.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:44:21 PM by Gray Wolf »
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »
You have only got to look back over the last few weeks to see just how small the active membership is now. I did not realize that there was a club on here until Art came up with his circle of buddies. That puts me on the outside, not a problem, but that does make it pointless to continue. During the first few years I used to learn a lot, there were many members all with different knowledge, experience and interests. I am not suggesting that the present members are bad, just that they have little to contribute that would interest me. For example, most of the Brits and Aussies have stopped posting leaving a strong US bias. I have got nothing against Americans, but as the saying goes nations separated by a common language, the number of times I have been misunderstood because of the difference in attitude and expression!

Is the forum a lost cause? possibly; there have been so many mistakes made recently, not by Jack, that have brought the forum down on its knees. For example, Kunena is a perfectly good forum that should have been sorted. In my opinion, changing back to SMF and introducing hundreds of spam messages would have hardly inspired confidence. I am sure Jack will sort it out, but is it too late?

I consider myself to be, basically, a contributor and happy to be that, but I am not prepared to tolerate having negativity being thrown at me. I dont need this forum and maybe it doesnt need me.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:45:40 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
Colin,

Don't misunderstand me, the "circle of buddies" I mentioned was only a handful of friends of mine back a few years ago and wasn't an "elite group or club" by any means to shut other members out as you may think! Jack, Tom, Bud, Chuck, Mr. Lee and myself are not in an "elite club" as my "Circle of Buddies" but are only forum friends is what I meant by it. They are just good acquaintances of mine on this forum and enjoy my chats with them for whatever the topic, therefore are my "Circle of Buddies" which also would include you even though I didn't mention your name in my OP, which I should have and sorry I didn't, because I didn't mean to leave you out in my post and make you feel like an outsider which you are not!       
Your example as to the reason why most of the Brits and Aussies have stopped posting was due to a strong U.S. bias as you call it is just the nature of forums and also due to the cultural and attitude differences between Americans, Brits, Aussies and even Fil/Ams on this and other forums. I too experienced it on other forums which was often the reason I left and came back here when I noticed the attitude here had changed and those kinds of differences were no longer present like it was before which to me was a good change and now this forum Jack is trying to maintain is doing fine on it's own power and will pick up eventually with new members joining with the present members already here! 
I myself get turned off by posts with negative and or sarcastic comments. It just turns people off and everyone should refrain from using those types of comments or remarks with an attitude on this or on any forum!
Some people may have just gotten out of the wrong side of the bed and their morning starts off with a negative mood and therefore they express their unwarranted negative comments without any thought of what was posted or if it offended the reader! 
Members, old and new just have to have patience, think about what they are going to comment on and try to get along with others members!
This forum is not a "loss cause", far from it! Jack is doing a fine job managing it! Let's all help and keep on posting to help others! That's what forums are all about, helping new members to the Philippines and meeting those in person we get along with!     

Art

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:57:09 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: WE'RE MIGRATING BACK TO SMF!
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »

Sarcasm? I am wondering if I am wasting my time in trying to help out.

It was not intended as sacrcasm... just my feeble attempt at saying something nice to you, without being too mushy.  I actually thought that you would find my little jab at the 5,516 number - most of which are clearly missing in action on this Forum - as a little humorous.

Come on Colin, grin :D and enjoy it a little.  Most of the postings on all of the PI forums are just folks trying to enjoy themselves a little - and maybe share or pick up a little useful information along the way.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:12:19 AM by Gray Wolf »
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline Average Guy

Re: WE\'RE MIGRATING BACK TO SMF!!
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 03:09:55 AM »
this way is so much beter i will keep my new name and finally get to see Recent Posts......Dave formally intoceb now just your Average Guy

Offline Beancounter

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 05:13:59 AM »
Dear Colin

Speaking as a Brit, I really enjoy your posts, you're the only one (I think) who lives in the paradise that is Palawan, and I would miss you very much.

And yes, there more Yanks than Brits or Aussies on here, but then there are 312 million of the buggers, 65 million of us Brits and 22m Aussies, and there is a strong Filipino connection to the US so I expect it to be honest.

Please stay, let's form a new clique  :)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:16:00 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 05:21:50 AM »
this way is so much beter i will keep my new name and finally get to see Recent Posts......Dave formally intoceb now just your Average Guy

You can easily change your screen name by clicking on "Profile" then "Account Settings".  There's a box to enter any name you wish.   I found out this can change your post stats as I discovered when I changed mine from graywolf to Gray Wolf.  At one time I had over 2000 posts.  Now it shows only a little over 200.  Not a biggie for me, but some may find it distressing.   :o    ;D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
Thanks for the comments BC, I will be staying :) . I have exchanged emails with Jack and explained that, like him, I have also been a bit stressed out recently but for different reasons.

I have said a number of times, on this forum, that posts can be easily misunderstood without the essential body language. I try to follow the rule of preparing a post in Word then leaving it for many hours and then see if it could be misunderstood. The red pencil does often get used :) I would recommend others to do the same.

I am not too keen on the word 'paradise', Palawan is a pleasant place to live, and relatively inexpensive, but the tourists sites soon lose their attraction. I live ten minutes from Honda bay but have not been there for several years. Puerto Princesa is a rapidly growing City, less than one hours flight to Manila and Cebu, and Port Barton is said to become the next Boracay.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:15:26 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »
BC asked us to delete his account, Colin.  So he can't read your comments.   ;)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »
Thanks Jack for sending me an invite back to the old format..
I still cant understand why it left us in the first place!!
Cheers,
Fred.

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 10:59:37 PM »
        I am one of the newbies and I only have a few posts. Mostly I lurk, and read. I have many questions about living in the Philippines and I find that if I pay attention most of my questions are answered before I even knew I had one. Other questions will pop up and Ill ask them here. I like this forum mush better than the message board, a lot less junk and of course, the proverbial pissing contest.
   I have noticed a few post that look to be a bit sarcastic but I chalk that up to me not understanding what the original posting was that it was in reply to. I have never seen the types of replies here that I see on the message boards.
   All you old guys are a store house of much information, and I mean that term as been in the Philippines a long time. Old guys like me who are planning our move needs old guys like you, so be sure to hang around.
   I like to joke and kid around and sometimes my jokes land with a splat, like an over ripe plum, but they are meant to be harmless. If I like people I like to joke with them, if I dont like them I ignore them. So if your name pops up in a joke that means you are considered a nice guy. No offense intended.
 Colins idea of writing the post and looking at it for a while before hitting the button makes very good sense. The only problem with that is I know what it is intended to mean and the reader might miss the clue. So if ever I post something that causes a problem, let me know and Ill try very hard to either clarify what I meant, or withdraw it and apologize.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
Hi John,

Get your feet wet and just jump right in anytime with your questions and or update us with your plans and purposed adventures here in the Philippines!
You have a good attitude about you and I'll take your word for it when you said, "So if ever I post something that causes a problem, let me know and Ill try very hard to either clarify what I meant or withdraw it and apologize". I like that! Everyone on this forum should be like you John, which 98% already are! ???

Art

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:51:57 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline honestjeen

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »
It implied to our little circle of buddies out of the other 5616 members from the original forum of a few years ago, that a few of us left and returned recently! They know who they are! Sorry if you feel left out!

I agree that I am not your buddy, but that is not the way the post read. I am happy to be left out of your 'little circle of buddies' ::)

The 5616 figure you quote are not genuine members; it is free to join and most of these 'members' never posted and never returned, I doubt if there is more than a handful right now; not a very exclusive club.

One thing to attract members, one is the job hunting ads... Second, as long as the poster is not a pain in the ass, not making any trouble at all, avoid banning.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »
Jack...Good to see the SMF back alive and well. Very good (Maayu Gid).

Colin...Although you & I sometimes have disagreements, I have always respected you and hope you stick around.

Again Jack, well done and good to be back with SMF. God Bless.....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog