Author Topic: Cost of living in your area compared to home  (Read 21153 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Cost of living in your area compared to home
« on: November 03, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »
I have found that overall the cost of living in Cebu seems on par with that in Florida on many food items and electric is higher in Cebu but rents are lower for smaller places and cable, phone and dsl are much lower.

How are you finding costs of the main items in your life where you live or wish to live?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Cost of living in your area compared to home
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 03:03:45 AM »
I am not too thrilled with housing costs around metro Manila and I don\'t think I will be happy about it any time soon until in a few years I get out in to one of the nearby provinces.  But then, around that time, I have found that I might have to think about going back to the U.S. for five years whether I would like to or not.  Only time will tell and how well I settle in to retirement once I get acclimated to it and am confident of the unknown.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:26:52 AM »
Quote from: \"BudM\" post=47767
I am not too thrilled with housing costs around metro Manila and I don\'t think I will be happy about it any time soon until in a few years I get out in to one of the nearby provinces.  But then, around that time, I have found that I might have to think about going back to the U.S. for five years whether I would like to or not.  Only time will tell and how well I settle in to retirement once I get acclimated to it and am confident of the unknown.

There are many less expensive places outside the city so lets hope you do not have to make the drastic move of going back. Of course the peso exchange rate will also be a killer for anyone who is living close to budget but that is yet another story.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »
Yes.  I removed my post that was in this spot.  I found the forum wide open and I didn't want my post out in the general public.  What the post entailed was that me disliking the costs of housing in metro has nothing to do with if I can afford it or not and also if in a few years I have to return to the states for another few years it is related to something totally different.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:06:25 AM »
Hi Bud,

Good to see you back and posting again. Yeah, I too haven't been posting a whole lot since the forum had some format problems, but it's back to the way it was and working pretty good! 
Looks like Lee brought the topic of cost of living here and home in the U.S.!
We have no home back in the U.S. and so it's just what we have here in the Philippines since we retired here in the Philippines way back in 1998.
You mentioned that you will be retiring soon and proposing to live somewhere in Metro Manila temporarily for just a few years and plan to relocate eventually suited to your budget.
Yeah, the economy and cost of living is increasing in cost no matter where we all live or intend to live and it's always a matter of money, weather we can afford to retire or not, because one's retirement computation of our pension will depend on the amount we can afford to live and it all depends how long one has worked in one's career!
It's getting to the point that people who decided to retire early, say between 55 and 60 are finding out that their pensions are still too low to afford the cost of living weather it be in the U.S. or the Philippines and have to return working to increase their Social Security Benefits and or other retirement pensions from their present or previous employer!
What I'm getting at is seriously consider everything before one decides to retire!
Me personally, I just took the "Leap of Faith" and retired at age 49 because I truly didn't want to work anymore and the U.S. Civil Commission offered those eligible early retirements at any age with 25 yrs or more in service! I had 30 yrs time in service and was 49 at the time and I took their offer and high tailed it out of the U.S. after a year of getting rid of everything we owned and moved to the Philippines! Sure we got rid of everything, but we had nothing left in the bank, but my little initial monthly Civil Service pension and VA Disability Compensation to live on until my Military USAFR Pay and SSA kicked in 11 yrs later at age 60 and 62. I'm now 64, but life is now grand, because of all of the COLAs over the years, my Military and SSA pension kicking in, my 4 combined U.S. Government pension now is more then when I was working! So, patience and longevity pays off!  ;) 

Art             
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:09:59 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:46:48 PM »
Well Art, I never went any where and I have been posting.  You are the one who disappeared for a while otherwise, you would have known I was here.

I would like to thank you and Mr. Lee for the information but I guess I need to say this.
1)  The original question was: "How are you finding costs of the main items in your life where you live or wish to live?"  Well, I have to live in metro for probably a few years.  It is because of logistics.
2)  Do I like the costs of the main items in my life that is in metro Manila?  No, I don't like the cost of housing.
3)  Will I be able to afford living in metro Manila without any problem?  Yes.  But, I don't like the cost of housing.
3)  Do I like I like living in a city environment?  No, although I have been living in a city since early '73.
4)  Do I want to move out in the province to better suit my budget?  No.  I want to move to a province eventually because I prefer to live like I did the first 19 years of my life which was out in the country.  Although, if I happen to spend less money on a main item in my life by doing so, well, that is just an added bonus.
5)  Am I, being in the age group mentioned, maybe retiring too early and finding out that I might be short of funds and maybe am thinking of going back to work?  No.  If I go back to the states later for five years (notice it is a specific time period of five years), I will not be going back to work to increase anything and it will not be because I must (unless I get thrown out of the Philippines, the U.S. yanks all American out, or if by some chance I decide I do not really like it in the Philippines).  The only way I might think about going back is if it would be practical for what it pertains to.
6)  This might be redundant but, should I reconsider whether I should retire before 62 or not?  No.  I could have near 3 years ago at 56 and I have done all the thinking that I am going to do about it.

Again, thank you gentlemen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:11:55 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Average Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 03:38:24 AM »
Living in Connecticut one of the higest taxed and cost of living states in the world Er oops Country i ment ;D Bohol would be the Place for me its my Price range.. could Probably live in cebu also but would need a Part time job hehehe manilla would need 2 full time jobs  ::)...Dave

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 04:07:11 AM »
You are right about Connecticut.  It is outrageous.  You probably know where the Hudson Valley area of New York is due west of there near Middletown.  Until a few years ago, I had it on my list of places to consider for retirement since I had grown up there and thought that I still liked the winters.  There was nothing but dairy farms where I was.  You knew  every neighbor up to about 2 miles away.  Now, you can't find a farm any where in site and the property taxes have been growing at a ridiculous rate.  I decided a long time ago in life that I am going to pay up to only a certain amount for something I might want and above that, they can kiss my butt.  That is what happened there.  Besides, I had changed my mind about liking the winters so much.  I am glad it is all working out this way though.  As they say, everything happens for a reason.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:12:14 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Average Guy

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:16 AM »
Bud I hate winters now  >:(  i have driven through that part of new york years ago Your right Diary farms were everywhere you had to  make sure you have gas in the Tank not many gas stations in the area  :).. im only 50yo but doing the same kind of work over 20 years has taken a toll on my elbows and hands and back since i am bringing my wife here  i will only endure a few more crappy high Priced high taxed years in connecticut no more than 5 years then moveing to Philippines....Dave

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 07:46:43 AM »
[url=http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp]http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp [/url]

If the exchange rate gets worse, it looks as though we will have to either move to India or perhaps rent a place in Kathmandu, Nepal :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:52:13 AM by Gray Wolf »

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »
Granted that there are other places in the world that are more affordable to live in, but would one be happy living in those other places during the long haul other than the Philippines? I think I'll stay for awhile longer! We've already been living here for 16 yrs now and a few more yrs won't hurt and besides, it's our home and our roots! We're finally at home and everyday is a holiday!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:04:58 AM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
I have to agree with you Art.  Still not quite all the way there yet but I am not turning back. The dollar going down and no, I don't like that but so what?  The worldwide economy overall is stinking things up good right now.  I am not even thinking of this happening but if it got so extreme that if I went broke, I can always count on my gf to support me.  Don't know if she would buy me steak for once a week though.  There still are a lot more aspects of the Philippines that I agree with versus the U.S.  Philippines is where I plan to make up for lost time to include things I missed out on and then die hopefully a long, long, time from now.

Thanks for that report Mike.

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
Bud,
I'll buy you a steak now and then if your g/f can't or won't, but it's only those little steaks from South Supermarket and you'll have to cook it yourself and one for me too! ??? ;D 
Art
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 03:26:46 AM »
We recently spent 3 months in the Philippines at our new house in San Fernando, Pampanga. This is the first time I have spent a good length of time in country there.

We certainly noticed that prices were much higher than during our last visit 2 years ago. But staying for a period of time I had a chance to compare prices in the area.

We did most of our day to day purchases in the SM or locally in San Fernando. When we visited my wifes family in a town some 30 minutes away we noticed that the price of foodstuffs were certainly lower, lots by around 10-20%.  Beer as well! I wonder whether that holds true for other areas of the Philippines - where costs of items is that much higher in large towns/ cities than the less affluent smaller towns. 

There is certainly less choice in these small towns, but the staple foods are of course all available, though other goods may not be so easily available.

Something to think about when you want to settle down in the Philippines.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
Paul,

You are fortunate that you have the luxury to have a home in the Philippines and in the U.K., because living here in the Philippines permanently isn't for everyone who's retired. One must seriously consider all the options, pros and cons of one's future lifestyle what's affordable and what's not, because it can disrupt one's financial situation and or health issues. A backup home in your native land and or any backup plan is good to have for just in case the Philippines isn't for you when one gets older and in failing health! I'm sure a lot us retirees think along those lines as we get older!
Seeing the weather though worldwide of extreme freezing conditions, I'm glad we live in the Philippines!
Anyway, that's one nice thing about the Philippines, the constant warm weather all year round, with 3 months of extreme heat and 3 months of monsoon season, which are bearable as long one doesn't live in the hurricane convergence zone or areas susceptible to flooding!
I just wish we had some solar energy sources installed in our home, like those solar air conditioning systems so that our electric bill isn't so high every month! Maybe in the near future, we'll get a few of those solar A/Cs installed!   

Art   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:41:48 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog