Author Topic: Cost of living in your area compared to home  (Read 22187 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Cost of living in your area compared to home
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »
Is 24/7, a heavy A/C user enough? We don't have an open air home like some of you! Besides, I don't like to leave our bedroom windows open, because of the fine dust getting in! I only shut down our A/C at night during the cooler months of Nov, Dec and Jan and leave a few windows open.
Living in the U.S. in California all my young adult life, I suffered from hay fever allergy during the entire spring and summer months and air conditioning was my only relief! Fortunately, ever since retiring here in the Philippines my hay fever allergy went away, but I still enjoy my air conditioner to keep me comfortable all year round!   
Anyway, it's all about each to their own preference to be comfortable where ever one lives! Some people are just used to the heat like Eskimos are used to snow!   
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:44:09 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »
Suggestion. When opening a window and to prevent dust, stick one or more of those 3M filters to cover the screens and that should keep out most if not all of the dust. Paper towels also work if you can find a way to stick them to the screens. Probably does not look very good but should keep the dust to a minimum.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 05:17:31 AM »
You have put a lot of time, effort, and of course money in to the design of your home Colin along with a location to suit it's needs.  I applaud you for that but Art lives in and I will be living in a whole different environment.  Me so probably more than Art.  Well, for a few years anyway until I can get out in the province.  I grew up in upstate NY with no a/c in the house or vehicles.  My aunt to this day still does not have a/c in the house although her recent vehicles have had it.  Until I moved to Florida in early 70s, I did not even know what a/c was.  Have not been without it since though.  No doubt, we and some others will need to rely on aircon more so than you.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »
You have put a lot of time, effort, and of course money in to the design of your home Colin along with a location to suit it's needs.  I applaud you for that but Art lives in and I will be living in a whole different environment.  Me so probably more than Art.  Well, for a few years anyway until I can get out in the province.  I grew up in upstate NY with no a/c in the house or vehicles.  My aunt to this day still does not have a/c in the house although her recent vehicles have had it.  Until I moved to Florida in early 70s, I did not even know what a/c was.  Have not been without it since though.  No doubt, we and some others will need to rely on aircon more so than you.

I believe that if you are going to move to a tropical country you should make some effort to acclimatize to the temperature. I find that if I spend any amount of time in a cold air-conditioned room, when I go outside the heat really hits me. If I am in a sheltered room with just a fan, the outside temperature is not as bad. The temperature inside our house rarely goes below 28C but the humidity does vary a lot. The outside temperature here is typically around 30C and putting on the aircon in my study will only reduce it by a few degrees, but it does bring the humidity down to around 50% which is comfortable. Right now at 7.30am it is 28 with 70% humidity, but just a small fan on me makes it acceptable. It looks like being a hot day, so if I work here later on, I will close the sliding doors and put the aircon on.

We have five other aircon units in the house that are very rarely used. The ones in the guest bedrooms are only used on the rare occasions that we have visitors, the one in the large kitchen is only used if we have a party with a lot of people preparing food, and the cabinet one in the lounge has only been switched on to test it since we moved in over 18 month ago.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
I moved here in General Trias, Cavite in June 2010 lived in a rental in our subdivision until Jan 2011 when our house was finished.  Put a window unit a/c in the rental but used very little due to the noise since it was in the master bedroom.  For 2 years living in the house have not installed a/c units yet and may not.  Comfortable with just fans and as Colin mentioned much easier to walk outside without big change in temperature.  Happy with my electric cost which normally stays below 2K per month.  Don't get me wrong do enjoy are stays in hotels during trips when a/c is in the room and we have to cuddle under blankets.  The a/c initially was so cold during our Xmas stay in Intromuos that we had to lower it so we did not freeze to death.

Chuck
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:50:34 AM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
We have five other aircon units in the house that are very rarely used. The ones in the guest bedrooms are only used on the rare occasions that we have visitors, the one in the large kitchen is only used if we have a party with a lot of people preparing food, and the cabinet one in the lounge has only been switched on to test it since we moved in over 18 month ago.

Colin,

A little tip for you if you are unaware. Generally you should run all your A/c's once a month for maybe a couple of hours, to keep the lubricant that is within the closed system of your A/c, circulating around inside the compressor to keep the seals lubricated. Otherwise if the seals harden you can lose the refrigerant.

Graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
Chuck,

Fortunate for you that your area is a lot more cooler than where we live! Sorry for going off the topic, but actually, my major concern is all about what's floating in the air, because of the pollution created over the years and not just pollution from fossil fuels, but also from fine microorganisms such as viruses and germs!
Do you recall the virus scare in Baguio back in 2004? What about the SARS epidemic that originated in China? Scary stuff!
Here's the link to the story: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-104847802.html

6 die in outbreak of airborne virus in Baguio City; tourism affected

Filipino Reporter
December 2, 2004

An airborne bacterial outbreak has killed six people and ravaged tourism at a northern Philippine mountain resort, officials said Monday.
Local health officials said meningococemia struck eight residents of the city of a quarter million people this month, last week. An 11-year-old girl who suffered from symptoms associated with the disease also died in Manila last weekend.
Three other people are recovering from symptoms of the disease at Baguio hospitals, assistant city health officer Rowena Galpo told reporters.
Fearful residents here have resorted to wearing face-masks and cleaning up drugstore shelves.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also when I was still in the Air Force Reserves in the 80s and on a 2 week temporary duty (TDY) at Clark AB, I discovered weeks later from returning to California that I contracted tuberculous (TB) while in the Philippines! I didn't know where, when or how in the Philippines!
It took 12 months to treat my TB, but now it only takes 6 months! TB is an airborne virus and very contagious, but very much treatable if detected early! Why do I say just treat and not cured? It's because the TB germ just remains dormant in the body, but no longer contagious and once tested positive, will always be positive and one can never ever donate blood and that also includes people with hepatitis and former cancer patients!     
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 5 yrs ago, my sister-in-law's husband while looking for work in Manila, contracted an unknown disease that was never determined by doctors what it was and it killed him just within 3 months where he just deteriorated to nothing, but skin and bones! He was only 32 yrs old! May he RIP!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the main reason we don't leave our bedroom windows open for any length of time and have our A/C constantly running 24/7. We used to have a 110v Panasonic air purifier in our bedroom 10 yrs ago, but it burnt out! May buy another one of these days!
Am I the paranoid type? You bet I am and for good reasons, but we're here to stay for the long haul despite what's in the air floating around!   
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:33:29 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
Art writes,

Sorry for going off the topic, but actually, my major concern is all about what's floating in the air, because of the pollution created over the years and not just pollution from fossil fuels, but also from fine microorganisms such as viruses and germs! That's the main reason we don't leave our bedroom windows open for any length of time and have our A/C constantly running 24/7. Am I the paranoid type? You bet I am and for good reasons!

Yes, Art, hearing of this, one can understand your point of view.

But it's not off-topic. Regarding living expenses, it appears that power use will be the major differientiating factor in terms of living expenses.

And, more specifically, air conditioner use. We've heard from colleagues here that power costs range from P1,000 per month to P8,000 per month plus, mainly due to a requirement for air conditioning. And, this may indeed be a necessary requirement. Health factors are always non-negotiable.

So, at an economical level, (although still comfortable-life expense levels), lengthy power use can double one's expenses.

That's important information for noobs :) and certainly and most definitely right on-topic for this discussion thread. Art.

In addition, as you've clearly illustrated, it's also important to carefully consider the types of air conditioners one installs.

For instance, ionization and HEPA filtering units etc might seem increasingly important in our climate changing air micro-organism future, as you clearly point out, Art. Our warmer, high humidity air that we will be breathing in future might indeed almost *require* a form of microbial treatment in terms of safety for those whom are new to any specific environment? Your interesting post leads one to such thoughts in terms of the world's future, Art. Thanks.

Cheers,
Stephen

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
Art,

The current stats in Santa Rosa, Laguna and General Trias, Cavite are 31 degrees C and 58% humidity per a couple weather sites. :) ;D....I'm not in the high country of Tagaytay.

Chuck

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »
OK Chuck, seems about the same there as it is here! I guess you're more tolerant than I am!  ??? ;)
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »
Art,

Probably comes from over a decade working on Florida golf courses prior to moving here.  Same temperature and humidity and never had a/c on my Toro spray rig. ;)

Chuck

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
well from about 12 am til 4 pm here in san juan Batangus you will Burn your butt if you dont hide from the heat it gets so hott it bust open the ground and if you drop coins good bye to them..even the locals here hide from 12 til 3 pm..adjusted now I am.... :P butt its not hott all year just from march til may..
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:54:57 PM by wildbill »

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
For a few years, I plan to live in the Metro Manila area.  I don't have too much choice in the matter for that time frame.  We all know, as far as I know, that Metro Manila can get rather warm.  I have ran the aircon some but I have found it to be bearable to have it off for quite a bit of time during the day as long as there was circulation.  Whenever I have been there though, it has not been during the hottest months which I think are April, May and June.  Consequently, I figure I will be using aircon quite a bit more than I will when I eventually make it out to the province.  Would someone please kindly draw the line for me on what could be considered as "some effort" to acclimatize to the temperature when moving to a tropical country so that I may determine if I should continue making my move to the Philippines.
Whatever floats your boat.

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »
Would someone please kindly draw the line for me on what could be considered as "some effort" to acclimatize to the temperature when moving to a tropical country so that I may determine if I should continue making my move to the Philippines.
Go to Florida or Arizona for a few weeks during their hot peak season to acclimatize yourself to the heat and then come to the Philippines! If that doesn't work I don't know what will. :o ???
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »
Bud,

My neighbors and my honey all think I am crazy because I'll take a walk around the subdivision during the hottest part of the day.   They always tell me to use an umbrella, but that is more trouble than it is worth to me. I guess Art has forgot how hot it used to get in Santa Clara County, California, when we were both growing up.  Think it was 114 F(46 C) one time, but we may have both been in USAF that year, but do remember many 100+ F days. with no a/c in the 1950s and early 1960s.  I know Art was hot at Travis AFB during his years in the AFRes.  Best advice I have is take your outside a little at a time and build up your tolerance/stamina and drink lots of water(not alcohol) so you stay hydrated.  Maybe my olive complexion helps, hispanic background.  Of course the surname of Rodrguez definitely confuses the locals because it is also one of their surnames.  As long as they don't see me I don't have to pay the Kano price. :D ;)

Chuck

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog