Author Topic: Beware if you have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card!  (Read 11561 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Beware if you have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card!
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:39:30 PM »
http://philfaqs.com/financial-planning-2/a-step-in-the-right-direction/

This topic has come up in the past, but I just want to remind foreigners who resides in the Philippines not to think about trying to apply for a Senior Citizen Discount Card anywhere in the Philippines 

The law regarding the Senior Citizen Discount is very strict regarding the criminality of foreigners (and even Filipinos who don’t live in the Philippines) “availing” of the government’s senior citizen discount.
To me, a senor citizen discount is not worth jail and deportation.

A British friend of mind, his Filipino wife got him his Senior Citizen Discount Card last month somehow and I informed him that there are severe penalties if caught using it by a foreign national! Ignorance of the local laws is no excuse!

The Senior Citizen Discount Card for foreigners has not yet been approved, but it's still up for consideration!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:50:25 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: Beware if you have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:35:47 AM »
The UK Warden here has a card and insists that it is legal for permanent residents. He told me to show my I-card at the office here and they would give me a card. I asked him to ask the consul to get one of their legal contacts to give a written statement to that effect, but nothing happened.

He said the subject was discussed at a warden meeting at the British Embassy with the head of the Philippine retirement section present, and that most warden had the card and felt that it was legal. He gave me the email address of this department head to check, but I did not bother. Maybe he felt that it should be legal but that does not change the law.

With had a meeting here in Puerto a few months ago with the British Pro consul and her assistant, and this subject was discussed. Most of us felt that it was still illegal and the Embassy people just kept quiet. The law is quite clear that it is illegal for us, and the penalties are severe.

Bing does have a card and gets 20% discount on restaurant meals and this sometimes will include the cost of my meal. The most useful part is the 20% discount on airline fares and hotel rooms. Bing books the room and I am naturally included in that cost.

Offline hoppin john

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:04:22 PM »
I don't have  a  card  or  want  one,  but  i have  been afforded the  senior citizen line  at the  NSO, saves  a lot  of  waiting

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »
Colin,

The same here on Mindanao. The British Warden
says it's OK to have one. Many foreigners at our
local "get-together" place have them. I have explained
and shown the law to many of them, but they just reply with
"show me a case of a foreigner being deported and I'll stop using mine"
I am not taking any chance with it, coz I know if someone gets caught,
that "someone" is likely to be me!!!!

Graham

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
Colin,

The same here on Mindanao. The British Warden
says it's OK to have one. Many foreigners at our
local "get-together" place have them. I have explained
and shown the law to many of them, but they just reply with
"show me a case of a foreigner being deported and I'll stop using mine"
I am not taking any chance with it, because I know if someone gets caught,
that "someone" is likely to be me!!!!

Graham
I fully agree Graham. They say that now because the wrong one didn't catch them yet. Why would anyone ever risk jail, deportation, blacklisting & being forever separated from your Asawa just for a few measly pesos discount? I mean come on...Most of us usually tip more than the savings you would get. I guarantee you that they will be the 1st ones crying foul and begging for mercy when they are cuffed and stuffed and eventually waiving bye bye. Food for thought. God Bless.....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:34:03 PM by Steve & Myrlita »

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 06:51:11 PM »
We called in O.S.C.A R today but the officials were at lunch. It has turned into a meeting place for pensioners, and those there were split in their opinions. One said that if you have been here for at least 6 months you can legally have one and that two were issued to foreigners that morning. Another said that she was wrong and that you had to be a dual citizen to get one. The first one dug out a 2010 rule book, spent ages looking through it but did not seem to find anything.

The big advantages with the card are the 20% discounts on air fares and hotels. Bing, having a card, gets the discount on her flights while I pay the full fare. She will book the Hotel which I obviously share so I do gain there. I sometimes get included in the 20% discount on meals, but we leave that as a tip anyway.

I will wait for a government official to issue a signed letter before I even consider getting one.

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:33:41 PM »
ftp://ftp.bir.gov.ph/webadmin1/pdf/52407RR%207-2010.pdf

Here's the Philippines
Bureau of Internal Renvenue's (BIR) REVENUE REGULATION No.7-2010
It's a lengthy PDF and I just picked certain paragraphs of interests!

SUBJECT:  Provisions for the  "Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010,  and the Prescribing
the Guielines for the Availment Thereof

To: All Internal Revenue Officers and Others Concerned

Read SEC.2. Definitions  Paragraphs a. to m., to whom the benefits pertain to!
It's says any Senior Resident Citizens at least age 60! It doesn't say anything about foreigners! They maybe residents of the Philippines, but the majority of foreigners are not Filipino Citizens! 
Also read the last page SEC.13 Penalties and Other Sanctions, paragraphs 1 & 2 (pretty severe penalties)

Ignorance of the local laws is no excuse!

Here's the original RA 9994 http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2010/ra_9994_2010.html
Which states in Section 7:
"If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he/she shall be deported immediately after service of sentence".

My question is this, If those foreigners (non-Filipino citizens) who have and are already using their Senior Citizen discount card, where did they get their authorization from to do so?
Why don't they share the information so we all can benefit too!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:16:37 AM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:40:50 AM »
My question is this, If those foreigners (non-Filipino citizens) who have and are already using their Senior Citizen discount card, where did they get their authorization from to do so?
Why don't they share the information so we all can benefit too!

The simple answer is that there is no official authorisation.  I believe that some of the people that run these issuing centres feel that foreigners should have them particularly if they have been in the country for more than six months and especially if they have a 13a visa. It has been pointed out to me that the local mayor’s signature is on these cards and that gives them the authority. The question then is, has the mayor got the power to make exceptions to national laws? A lot of local government offices seem to be a law unto themselves and bend the rules to suit them. I wonder if a Mayor can do the same thing, and would he support you in a court of law.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »
I my searchs have found the reference to 6 month residence but applies to dual citizens only.  No where have I found a reference to foreigners being authorized the Senior Citizen Card.  My understanding is the cards are issued by the Senior Citizen local office and they maintain a current list of Senior Citizens in their area. 

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
Collin,

IMO the Mayor is in violation of the Bureau of Internal Revenue's (BIR) REVENUE REGULATION No.7-2010, under Section 13, item#2, paragraph 3.

If the offender is a corporation, organization or any similar entity, the official(s) thereof directly involved shall be liable thereof.

As mentioned here http://philfaqs.com/financial-planning-2/a-step-in-the-right-direction/
The Senior Citizen Discount for foreigners is still up for consideration and has not yet been approved!
A proposal or Senate Bill takes an act of Congress and approval by the President of the Philippines before it can be implemented by the appropriate agencies and not just because a local Mayor said so for authorizing foreigners to have the Senior Discount Cards meant only for Senior Filipino citizens age 60 and above at this point in time! 
So you see, this topic is in the news media and most government officials should know the law concerning this subject matter!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:17:39 AM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 01:20:49 AM »
Just for info was checking the PAL site earlier and it states that the Senior discount does not apply to foreigners IAW Philippine law.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Resrarch

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »
IT IS NOT UNLAWFUL.RA7432 allows Aliens to have a senior citizen card lawfully.A lot of researching and i find it.

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
RA7432 was amended by RA9994 no mention of anyone but Natural born Filipinos with Dual Filipino Citizenship can avail of the discount card

So if your not a Filipino your breaking the law if you have one

Who are entitled to the benefits and privileges granted under RA 9994?

All Filipino residents who are 60 years old and above are entitled to the benefits and privileges granted RA 9994. It may cover elderly “dual citizens” who can prove Filipino citizenship and at least 6 months residency in the Philippines.

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
This subject matter is nothing new, because I personally started this topic last year on this forum and it has been discussed in full length on other forums too, but there are still a few foreigners out there that insists that they received their cards authorized via their Mayor's and or city councilman's authorization by established and approved city ordinances such as in Palawan and Cebu, but I've not seen or read of such a city ordinance authorizing foreigners the use of these cards meant only for resident Filipino senior citizens, other than just hearsay on a few forums where a few foreigners insists that they have them!
So, more power to them if they can confirm their authorization to use the card, but I wouldn't be caught dead using one if one is not supposed to have one in accordance with the current law, which some still have their own interpretations of it! ::) ??? :o 
I give up explaining this subject unless someone can confirm it otherwise!
BTW, I'm Filipino aka a "Fil/Am" and I'm 66 yrs old now, but what's unfortunate in my case is that I'm ineligible for dual citizenship even though I was born here, because of a technicality under the Philippines Constitutional law of 1935! So, no 20% senior citizen discount card for me, but I do have PhilHealth under my wife's name! Wow! Whoopy! :o ??? ::)   
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:59:41 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »
IT IS NOT UNLAWFUL.RA7432 allows Aliens to have a senior citizen card lawfully. A lot of researching and i find it.
Resrarch,
show us your claim where it's not unlawful from your research and since you are new here, how about introducing yourself to the group! Welcome!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:57:49 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog