Author Topic: Beware if you have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card!  (Read 11551 times)

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Re: Beware if you have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card!
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »
Just for me, rather pay than go through all that...rather be shot, a few pesos not that important to me...sounds just like dealing with the VA
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 07:27:55 PM »
Electric and water get 5% discount if it is in Senior Citizens name.

Chuck

Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2014, 10:23:21 AM »
In my observations of it's use I don't think it's 20% across the board.  I think the amount depends on where and what you use it for.  Unless the vendors are giving less and being reimbursed for the full 20% in the places I've been....

You are correct. If you use the card in, say, SM,
then only certain items are covered by the 20%
discount. Things like vegetables are not covered,
while meat is.

Apparently there is a list within the malls of what
it covers and what it doesn't. I personally know of
at least 10 foreigners here who have, and use, the
card. I have printed out the rules on it's usage and
shown them. The typical response is, "the Mayor
signed the card, so it's OK", and, "show me anyone
who has been deported and I'll stop using it"

Graham

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »
In my observations of it's use I don't think it's 20% across the board.  I think the amount depends on where and what you use it for.  Unless the vendors are giving less and being reimbursed for the full 20% in the places I've been....

You are correct. If you use the card in, say, SM,
then only certain items are covered by the 20%
discount. Things like vegetables are not covered,
while meat is.
Apparently there is a list within the malls of what
it covers and what it doesn't. I personally know of
at least 10 foreigners here who have, and use, the
card. I have printed out the rules on it's usage and
shown them. The typical response is, "the Mayor
signed the card, so it's OK", and, "show me anyone
who has been deported and I'll stop using it"
Graham
If those foreigners you know of have the card and say they are authorized by their Mayor in their jurisdiction to use it, why does this article below say otherwise?

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/105530/alien-seniors-should-get-discounts-too/
Alien seniors should get discounts too!
Under their bill(HB4191 has not yet been approved http://www.congress.gov.ph/press/details.php?pressid=7903), elderly foreigners could avail themselves of the senior citizen perks in the country by presenting either an ID card issued by the Office of Senior Citizens Affairs in the place where they reside; a Philippine Retirement Authority identification card; an Alien Certificate of Registration I-Card; and other documents that establish that the resident alien is at least 60 years old and a Philippine resident.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But one of our member here contradicts the whole issue and insists that his Embassy's British Wardens authorizes it's use along with the person in charge of the program, but could not provide it writing making it official where as the DILG's letter does, stating that aliens and foreigners are not covered under RA 9994 and it took an Act of Congress and the President to approve this Republic Act 9994 of the Philippines and a Mayor and the British Embassy Wardens can ignore it and make up their own rules as they choose! WTH?  :o ???
http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=49150.msg59716#msg59716
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:55:59 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
Art,

It's impossible to educate coconut heads.

I have tried many times to tell other foreigners
it's illegal to use the card. It'll take someone to
be deported before they refrain.

Graham.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2014, 06:51:06 AM »
Yes, I'm adding to an old topic. Another thing to consider is the Philippines has a current sitting president who has outright shown he is anti-foreigner and would love us all out of his country if it wasn't for the money. Those who would risk it over a few pesos, God help you. As many have said, you have been warned. Don't cry to us after you're caught and waiving bub bye.

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »
Yes, I'm adding to an old topic. Another thing to consider is the Philippines has a current sitting president who has outright shown he is anti-foreigner and would love us all out of his country if it wasn't for the money. Those who would risk it over a few pesos, God help you. As many have said, you have been warned. Don't cry to us after you're caught and waiving bub bye.

I would think that it is opinion and speculation as to if he is anti-foreigner or not.  Don't we have a political thread on this board?  If we don't, maybe we should.  Political opinions pertaining to the Philippines.  Of course, it is one thread that I guess I would only read because I sure would not participate in it.
Whatever floats your boat.

• Sr Member
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »
All I can say is, let the Philippine government do their thing, since we foreigners have no say in their political agenda! Luckily there isn't a section on this forum for political and or religious topics, opinions and or POVs. 
Besides, if anyone wants a discount? Just ask and you may get it without being a Filipino.
Some business establishments do give discounts to anyone! It's just good business practice in general.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:11:24 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2016, 07:31:39 PM »
This is an old thread but we have some new members, that might like a heads up.  The Senior Citizen card is for Filipino citizens only by law.  Nothing has changed that I am aware of.  Now myself I do use the Senior/PWD/Pregnant lines at banks and other businesses if they have them along with handicapped parking.  That is not breaking the law, heck I am 69 years and partially disabled.  I have found in most Starbucks if I ask do they have a Senior discount they always say yes.  I just show my ACR card and sign. 

I have been asked by the Brgy Capt to come by and he will sign the form to get the Senior Card.  Showed him the law and he just smiled, and told me no problem they would issue it at the Senior Citizen office.  Told him no thanks but appreciate the offer.  Understand this is the Philippines and rules are NOT really rules.

Chuck
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:40:13 PM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2016, 09:39:43 PM »
The nudge nudge, wink wink policy permeates every aspect of law here. Sounds great and I am sure many avail of this just to save a few peso or time. Unfortunately if the situation goes belly up the  foreigner is the sucker holding the guilty plea card.

• Sr Member
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2016, 12:00:18 AM »
Here's 2 articles that the HB 4191 http://www.congress.gov.ph/press/details.php?pressid=7903 and Senate Bill 2832 https://www.senate.gov.ph/lisdata/112729581%21.pdf for the foreigner's Senior Citizen Discount has both been introduced to the house, but as of yet has not passed.
So, foreigners better not have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card meant only for Filipino Senior Citizens in their possession.
See BIR's Revenue Regulations No. 7-2010 under Section 13 Penalties and Other Sanctions, they are pretty severe penalties. http://ncmb.dswd.gov.ph/phocadownload/adminorders/bir%20rev.%20reg%207-2010.pdf

"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2016, 01:05:11 AM »
Other than 20% discount or no discount at all - there's an intangible benefit.  I feel I am treated with more respect in the Philippines than in a foreign country.  Being called to the front of the queue in the bank is an example.  At supermarkets, someone often offers to take my shopping bags to the car (for a tip?), etc.  Do men get the same treatment?

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2016, 11:12:31 PM »
Other than 20% discount or no discount at all - there's an intangible benefit.  I feel I am treated with more respect in the Philippines than in a foreign country.  Being called to the front of the queue in the bank is an example.  At supermarkets, someone often offers to take my shopping bags to the car (for a tip?), etc.  Do men get the same treatment?

Hey Piozam,

I am not bothered if local businesses think I am older or younger, if I pay utility bills, in super market, banks etc and they call me to the front of the line, I go. Like many people, who wants to stand in the line all day. So I walk forward, if invited to do so. Oh, I am 57 and locals are surprised when I say my real age, they mostly drop the number by 10-15 yrs. So if invited, I walk to the head of the line, but I always look around, to see if there are really eligible folk first. If there is an older person, surely looking 60 plus, then I stand aside, but this also gets me invited to the front of the line. At least courtesy pays off too, hehe.

ABC

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog