Author Topic: Different options for ceilings  (Read 22841 times)

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
Different options for ceilings
« on: February 16, 2013, 12:21:33 PM »
we just Built our house approx 1 year ago and now we want to replace our ceilings because of termites I am looking for anternatives please give me your suggestions we looked at USG ceiling tiles  at Wilcon but no one knows how to install it here...wasted our money on that ceiling and termite treatment dont work here they think termites dont eat dead  already cut wood they think they eat only live trees.treatment to the wood was done dont help much.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Different options for ceilings
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »
in 2001 we used removable 20"X20" hardiflex panels with aluminum runners like those you see in interior ceiling office buildings as our ceiling without the use of nails or screws and have had no problems with termites! The panels just sits in between the square aluminum runners and have easy access in installing electrical wiring for light fixtures and or coaxial cables, but that was only done in our bonus room and garage 12 yrs ago, best choice I ever made for our ceilings in our bonus room and garage, just wished I had done it throughout the whole house! 
U.S. quality gypsum boards were used in the entire part of our home's ceilings and interior walls as long one doesn't have any leaks in their roof or side walls, because when gypsum board gets saturated with rain water it falls apart and comes crashing down! So in other words, USG boards aren't too practical here in the Philippines if one's roof or side walls are susceptible to leaks, but they are easy to install and repair! Same thing goes for hardiflex panels of a sort, but it takes awhile for them to get saturated with rain water, because they are made with a more dense sometimes waterproof material!     

http://myphilippinelife.com/our-philippine-house-project-ceiling-support-system/

https://www.google.com/search?q=hardiflex+panels&hl=en&sa=G&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&ei=KxkfUcChB8HirAeSpoHYBA&ved=0CIUBELAE&biw=1344&bih=762 

http://www.jameshardie.com.ph/sites/default/files/msds.pdf
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:36:32 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
Try hardiflex, it looks like asbestos and I believe it is termite proof. Bing did not want it because of all the scares that have been around about asbestos. We just use plain untreated plywood and in two years just have had some very minor problems with bok-bok that were in the already in the panels. We had the foundations of the house and the surrounding area sprayed by Mapicon, which cost us P54k with a 3 year warranty. They check for any problems at least once a year. When we first saw a few holes caused by bok-bok, we took out a one year contract costing P12k. They injected the holes several times when we called them out, and that seems to have solved the problem.

We have some friend that also had problems with termites in their bedroom ceiling, but they had tried to save money by just spraying the ground themselves.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »
Art /Colin thanks for the great  ideas now I will go back to Wilcox in Batangas and look again now that you gave me some good food for thoughts...let them termites Break there teeth this time...okay my problem will be how to find an installer anyone know of one we live in san juan batangas.thanks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:27:41 PM by wildbill »

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »
Yeah, I would stay away from using any wood that isn't treated against termites! My neighbor used 2X4 lumber and plywood throughout the entire interior of their home! After only living in their home for 7 yrs, they just sold it recently and the new owners had to demolish everything made of wood, because all the walls and ceilings were infested with termites, including all of the kitchen counters, drawers, shelving and cabinets made from laminated particle board and or plywood! The new owners knew about the termites and knew that a total renovation will be in the works! Their renovation is almost complete! Fortunately the new owners, the guy, the "man of the house" is an engineer/builder/contractor and his wife, a cosmetic surgeon!   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:39:20 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:16:20 AM »
I am not gonna trust wood here anymore theres so many termites in the PH Ive never seen so many in my whole life.the contractor just wants to sell his wood and they don't care about you later when you need to replace your house...even tho you treat the wood it wont last.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
I am not gonna trust wood here anymore theres so many termites in the PH Ive never seen so many in my whole life.the contractor just wants to sell his wood and they don't care about you later when you need to replace your house...even tho you treat the wood it wont last.

There are a number of hardwoods that are termite proof and don't need treating, apart from our plywood ceilings, almost all the other wood in the house, doors, door frames, stair treads etc are Ipil. We used gemalina for the louvered vents in the roof gable ends.

We had a simple house built for the family over ten years ago and two years ago found that all the interior walls were eaten by termites, but the roof beams were gemalina and were not touched. We also have a bookcase made of Ipil and the books were eaten by termites but the bookcase was not touched. This was in our rented property.

Some of the hardwoods here are like concrete, it is difficult to drive a nail into them. Bings family live in wooden houses supplied by the Bureau of Prisons, the floors can be a little 'unsafe at times, but the main structure must be well over 50 years old, as hard as rock and still sound.

I think it is important to get the foundations and surrounding ground 'poisoned' by a professional company before completing the building. Expensive, but will more than pay for itself over time, plus save a lot of trouble and inconvenience.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:45:11 AM by Colin »

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
Thanks Colin I'm just gonna get some  galvanized C- tubing installed and some of that Hardiflex I love Art method but it looks time consuming to install and more expensive to me I was even thinking on some kind of plastic  panels because wood costs here are just to much then the cost of termite treatment is high to.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
Hi wildbill,

Sorry you're having so much trouble with termites and the creepy bugs on your walls. I'm glad you're not my neighbor (joking only)  ;D
Hopefully you'll be able to fix your bug problems soon. :)
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »
Here's another food for thought! I have at least 4 plastic panels in our ceilings in our bonus room and garage, which I installed florescent light bulbs above the plastic panels with a separate light switch and also have 4 separate incandescent penlights with a dimmer switch on the wall. Since my hardiflex panels are all removable, it was easy to install the light fixtures and can revise, change or arrange them any way I like, because most of the hardiflex panels are exactly the same size 20"X 20", maybe except for the 4 side edges and corners, since it's impossible to get every panel exactly the same size.       
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:11:59 AM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 09:05:56 PM »
Yes - meylou- lots of pests problems here in the province one fierce contender is the Big RED Ants here they are so smart they attack everything even my feet ... :P if I could say whats the worse it would be Hunter Spiders and those RED ANTS..  :'( Give and Take here.....enjoy that Cold weather there in the usa... ;D very nice here it got up to 31 c today :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:09:18 PM by wildbill »

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »
I made a big mistake in using laminated particle boards for our kitchen base boards, drawers and cabinets 12 yrs ago and now termites has gotten into the base boards and are working their way up! Grrrrrr! Eventually I'll have to demolish our entire kitchen counter base boards with drawers and hanging overhead cabinets and put in an entire new one in! It will cost dearly! Never would of thought termites wouldn't get into laminated particle boards, but they did even though it took 12 yrs! Again, grrrrrr.......:-[
At least our ceilings in our bonus room and garage are made from hardiflex panels and a few of our door frames are made of steel! A lot of our neighbors with wooden doors and frames were infested with termites and had to be replaced and wasn't cheap either! "Pesky critters" these annoying destructive tiny hungry termites! >:(   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:56:31 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 06:53:59 AM »
I made a big mistake in using laminated particle boards for our kitchen base boards, drawers and cabinets 12 yrs ago and now termites has gotten into the base boards and are working their way up! Grrrrrr! Eventually I'll have to demolish our entire kitchen counter base boards with drawers and hanging overhead cabinets and put in an entire new one in! It will cost dearly! Never would of thought termites wouldn't get into laminated particle boards, but they did even though it took 12 yrs! Again, grrrrrr.......:-[
At least our ceilings in our bonus room and garage are made from hardiflex panels and a few of our door frames are made of steel! A lot of our neighbors with wooden doors and frames were infested with termites and had to be replaced and wasn't cheap either! "Pesky critters" these annoying destructive tiny hungry termites! >:(   

I would guess that the builders of your estate either did not poison the ground and foundations when the houses were built, or did not renew it with peripheral poisoning regularly later. The termites have got to get into the house before they can eat anything inside.

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:05 AM »
Our developer provided all the inspection and monitoring of termites! Our lot is pretty small and hardly has any surrounding soil to warrant their service after the warranty had expired after 7 yrs! It must have been those flying termites!  ::) ??? :o
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 08:02:54 PM »
my friend down the road Had his house treated and now guess what yep many termites and they come back out and respray but what about the damage and who's gonna pay for it all I say give them termites steal to chew let em break there teeth.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog