Author Topic: GREAT STUFF™ Foam Sealant Gap Filler  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
GREAT STUFF™ Foam Sealant Gap Filler
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:40:06 PM »
http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/big-gap-filler/

Yeah Wild Bill,
This "Great Stuff" foam sealant was the stuff I bought at the SM Ace Hardware store! I just finished sealing the areas where needed most to plug up the gaps under the gutters meeting the tile roof about 20ft in length, should do the trick though! Very sticky stuff when it initially comes out, better have a can of WD-40 on hand to get the sticky sealant off your hands! Luckily our ceilings are of the removable hardiflex panels in our bonus room as is in our garage ceiling!
I wasted 2 out of the 5 cans I bought, because the valve seat were jammed and the sealant wouldn't come out using the attachment nozzle that came with it. I tried off seating the valve, but the whole content came out in a steady stream onto the ground outside where I fortunately did it at! Oh well, there went my P700 for the 2 canisters! At least I was able to finish the job on the inside of the house, except for the garage which will have to be done at a later date, because this "GREAT STUFF" is expensive!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:02:04 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
Re: GREAT STUFF™ Foam Sealant Gap Filler
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:17:01 PM »
I used that for sealing up door jams and even under sinks the thing with Great Stuff is some times you will need to trim it with a razor knife after about two days because it swells up trimming it makes it look good but ait tight seal sorry about those cans valves messing up I wonder will they refund you here >>>>>prob not....

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »
I don't need to trim the excess foam, since it's not exposed. They will probably exchange the defective canisters if still intact within 7 days of purchase with the original receipt, but no refund!
In my case, it's been over 7 days, no receipt since I already thrown it away and the canisters are no longer intact.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:11:45 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
If you happen to have any exposed to the sun you can paint it with a latex paint it will protect it from the UV rays, it will last a lot longer.

This would be a great product to use in the RP bugs don't eat and it keeps the water and heat out,has anyone seen them use this to insulate an entire house in the RP?

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:10:34 PM »
I thought about it, because we have gypsum board interior walls where I could probably shoot that stuff into the air space to insulate the walls, but it would be expensive! I just should have installed sheets of insulation before the walls were boarded up! Eventually I plan to tear out the gypsum boards and install sheets of thick insulation and board up the walls again, because our spare bedroom is awfully warm since it's directly facing the hot sun all afternoon, but at night it cools off with the windows open!   
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:23:53 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 01:46:05 AM »
I used a can of this to seal around the aircon unit in one of our bedrooms. Being a 'freebie' from the developers they had fitted it but you could see daylight around the edges. I made a right mess using it but at least it is easy enough to trim it when dry.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »
good luck finding thick insulation here ART but if you find some please share where because I need it to insulate my roof because my contractor never put anything under the steal getting angry wouldn't help so I will put it just above the ceiling hopefully it will help,its one of those because I was not around to supervise the job he left it off I told him its common pratice rite to add it he says no not in the province.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:25:12 PM »
good luck finding thick insulation here ART but if you find some please share where because I need it to insulate my roof because my contractor never put anything under the steal getting angry wouldn't help so I will put it just above the ceiling hopefully it will help,its one of those because I was not around to supervise the job he left it off I told him its common pratice rite to add it he says no not in the province.

You can buy thick fireglass insulation in the large hardware stores, we bought ours in Citi Hardware. We have 6" foil wrapped packs laid on the ceiling panels as well as the standard Philippine foil backed thin foam under the roofing panels.

What is so different about the provinces, doesn't the sun shine there? :)

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »
good luck finding thick insulation here ART but if you find some please share where because I need it to insulate my roof .
WB,
I haven't yet looked around for the thick insulation, but they do have the thin foam type in almost any hardware store. We have alot of building construction material stores in our area where I can just about find anything I need. Probably be next year though when I plan to do anything about our spare bedroom.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:04:43 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 10:05:35 PM »
THanks ARt-Colin until now I havent seen any of the thick insulation Ive tried wilcon ace and some others still looking for that.as for why he never put my insulation IDK his excuse is its cooler in the province -wait its been as high as 39c here is that cooler I dont think so .but  citi hardware never seen one here,my aircon fights to keep up when its hot ..guess I keep on looking now I know there is available thick insulation  here some wheres thanks

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 10:15:15 AM »
It sounds like insulation is an after thought when building a house. What has everybody been using to insulate the outside walls?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:28:29 PM by Gray Wolf »

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:09 AM »
It's because of the (1)added cost factor and or (2)just wasn't on site to over see the house build from scratch or (3)just plain forgot about it! For me, it was 1 & 3!
It's been raining all afternoon! I'm sure glad I finished sealing up all the gaps the day before, under my roof where they meet up with the drain gutters, because in the past rain water would seep into our bonus room which is our TV room wetting the floor! The floor doesn't seem to be wet this time after applying the foam gap sealer that I missed sealing up previously and it has been raining all afternoon today and some yesterday!
This "GREAT STUFF" really works! ??? :o ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:38:50 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »
art sounds like it worked for you as for the rain yes we got rain for the past two days I went to tagaytay yesterday it was 21c there   with rain

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog