Author Topic: Beautiful Northern Samar  (Read 10586 times)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: Beautiful Northern Samar
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »
It depends very much on where you live. We have just paid our tax, P32k and that includes a 20% discount for paying early. Our house is just under 400 sq metres on a double lot totalling 3000 square metres. Our neighbour opposite has a large bungalow on 4000 square metres and pays somewhere in the mid P20k region.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »

I wish there was a simple and clear explanation

This is the Philippines.  Practically nothing is simple and clear.   :D ;) :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
This is the Philippines.  Practically nothing is simple and clear.   :D ;) :)

HA !!  This is a fact I am learning more and more !!

Offline intocebu

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 01:29:00 AM »
I Have Been on this fourm for 3 years and i still am learning always things change fast in the Philippines and i probably will forget something when we move there in a Number of years ..thankfully my wife knows more than I obviously being from the Philippines  8).......Dave

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 11:18:50 AM »
Leinster Lad, moved here for good in July.  Tina started our new house without me.

G'Day Joe  :)
Any updates on your move to Catarman ?

I see the airport terminal has been upgraded. Is it finished yet ?  When will the run way get an upgrade ?

Three new shopping malls being built also...... will be great when they are finished.

Also, has it really been raining that much ??  Seems like every day !!  Is that just the time of year ?

cheers for now

Regards
David

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »
Leinster Lad, moved here for good in July.  Tina started our new house without me.

G'Day Joe  :)
Any updates on your move to Catarman ?

I see the airport terminal has been upgraded. Is it finished yet ?  When will the run way get an upgrade ?

Three new shopping malls being built also...... will be great when they are finished.

Also, has it really been raining that much ??  Seems like every day !!  Is that just the time of year ?

cheers for now

Regards
David

Been raining everyday the last 9 days or so.  Most days it's been raining all day on and off.  So yea, the rain's been crazy here lately. 
The "shopping mall" in the market is an ongoing headache.  Tina is the top level government worker in the market.  She's not the actual "head of market" as a post by the mayor, but, her family is tight with the mayor, and he is "using" her ability to run the market peacefully and keep 95%+ happy that he just put a friend in charge of the terminal and made him in "name" head of market also.  That building with the Land Bank and Inasal on one side, and an optical and clothing botique on the other side should have been 100% complete last November.  As of now, the complete upstairs is only about 50% done, and the downstairs still has parts needing attention, and due to it's delay Chow King has stopped it plan expansion into it.  That building falls under Tina's job as rent collecting.  As well as the Jolibee infront of it. 
The "new mall" near the Novo I have not been in.  Seems like it should be opening soon and that's all I know. 
The big mall that many have been waiting for is the one on Diversionary road 2.  That's still a time in the making and finishing, but should be the biggest and when done should hold a good number of stores/restos.  Talk is that will be where Chow King ends up now. 
The new terminal is nice, the runway is still the same runway that Tina has known all 37 years of her life.  LOL  That should be finished soon I think, but I hardly see it.  I don't go that way too often.  At best I see it a little when I take the highway across the runway and look to that end.  But the plans are to have it looking better.  I'll probably need to use it in the next couple of months, then I can get a look at it then.
Were you just here or are ya talking to locals? 
The life here is great.  Living in the new home, but it's still an ongoing project that I'm putting about 1/2 effort into.  Tina wants to rent it out when we build our own house on a lot more on the outskirts of the city.  Her family doesn't like that. So I'm not too sure how much we'll finish it if in the end her family decides it should be a gift to them.  So we are sorta looking more at the move.  Otherwise, life is great here. 
If you did stop by, drop me a line the next time you're around.  We'll get together for a beer or something. 
Til the next,
Joe
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 12:45:03 PM »

If you did stop by, drop me a line the next time you're around.  We'll get together for a beer or something. 
Til the next,
Joe
[/quote]

Cheers Joe, a cleansing ale or two will go down very nicely  :D

I have not been to N.Samar for quite a while, so the info that I have is just from research.
My wife, Mary Jane, wants to buy a house in Bulacan, Marilao..... but I have my heart set on N.Samar !

If I can organise that with my other dream of setting up a solar business, then i'll be set, and the drinks will be on me  :D

All that cloud cover is not very good for solar PV production, but the rains would be keeping thje panels very clean !!
My research, so far, is showing that a good quality system of around 3kW ( peak output ) should, on average, produce about 10kWh per day, and cost ( installed ) between PHP 400,000 and PHP 500,000  ( this depends on the local import taxes etc, which i have not yet got a clear answer on. Also, depending on the wiring in the house, some upgrades may also be needed )
Return on investment looks to be less than 5 years, and no more power bills  8)

Hopefully, I can achieve both of these dreams in the near future.

Hoping to make it back to the Philippines by the end of this year, so i'll definitely be looking you up then !

cheers for now
David

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 10:22:18 PM »
LL,
One thing to take into consideration when your talking about those systems and putting them to use in Northern Samar is the following.  Pretty much every weekend there is a brown out.  These brown outs are usually about 10-15 hours, and can be either at night, or during the day.  Pretty much depends on when they want to do them.  On top of that, plan on at least one if not 2 more brown outs during the week each month that will last 4-8 hours.  Usually during the day, but at times at night also.
I love the idea of just returning the power back into the network and make money off it.  The problem in Northern Samar is that when the power goes out at night, even with the solar panel system, I'd still be out of power. 
This is why I made mention of the thought to have some batteries for back up first, then when they are full have some system where the power then goes back into the grid.  This might mean a bigger investment and needing 6 years to pay off the system, but I have no plans on going anywhere anytime soon.  This move was for life.  So I think the move to have one of those installed would be a good idea. 
Cheers, hope all goes as you plan.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog