Author Topic: Building codes  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Building codes
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:50 PM »
We will be coming over in a few weeks.
During our stay I would like to pick up some books on building in the RP and some books on the building codes,and concrete construction. Has anyone come across anything like that in any of the book store's.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Building codes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »
You want what? lol. Not making fun of you frosty, just had to laugh when I read you request. Everythings better in the Philippines.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:41:14 AM »
We will be coming over in a few weeks.
During our stay I would like to pick up some books on building in the RP and some books on the building codes,and concrete construction. Has anyone come across anything like that in any of the book store's.

The standard answer from a pinoy builder when you ask "why" for most anything is "that's the way we do it".  Building codes?  I doubt whether most guys who build houses in the Philippines ever heard of building codes. 
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:46 AM »
If you are planning to build here, the best way is to either sketch out your ideas, or find a copy of a plan you like, and give it to a draughtsman that regularly submits plans to the local building department for approval. His submission will then meet all the local building requirements. You should then live on the site, if possible, to make sure the builder follows those plans, and doesn't steal anything :(. When it is completed it has to be inspected to gain the occupancy permit.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »
Also, be very aware of substandard materials..if you don't have concrete made to your specs here and watch them make it, you will get a product that you can wear away with your hand...concrete blocks that crumble in your fist.   When I built our store, they were trying to do the floor with a 5 sand/one concrete mix....what I wanted was 1 to 1...just be careful some SOP's in building are not anything like your use to....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:20:30 AM by Gray Wolf »
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »
Thanks everyone.

If they don't have a set of buildings codes they are working from, when they come to inspect for the occupancy permit, what are they looking for?

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »
Thanks everyone.

If they don't have a set of buildings codes they are working from, when they come to inspect for the occupancy permit, what are they looking for?

There must be building codes, and I imagine you could get them from the planning department. If you get a knowledgeable draftsman to draw up the plan then you don't need to know them. The approved house plan must meet the 'local' interpretation of these codes, and the inspection is to see that the house was built according to the plan; the builder has to sign to say that it is. The wiring is checked out and the fire department tell you what extinguishers you need and the location of any fire escapes etc.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog