Author Topic: Tacloban City, Leyte  (Read 2479 times)

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Tacloban City, Leyte
« on: June 05, 2013, 05:09:01 PM »
I didn't see Tacloban listed, so I guess I will tell you a little about it.  They call it a highly urbanized city here...don't really know what that is...however its the first city you get to if your driving from Samar, its about 15 minutes from here to the San Juanico Bridge which is fairly famous in the Philippines.   It is home of the Mc Aurthur memorial, built fairly close to the actual Red beach where the Leyte landing took place in WW2.  There are approximately 200K people living here depending on who you ask.  It's very low crime.  You rarely hear of anything like you hear of in Manila or Cebu.  Friend of mine that is a Doctor was broken into a couple of years ago but had absolutely no protection so made themselves a target. 
Its very close to some great resorts both in Samar and Leyte, its about a hour and a half drive over the mountains to Ormoc City which also has some great resorts. 
They just ran a new water main from Palo so the city water has good pressure now, brownouts are unusual if I had to say how much I would say about once a month it goes out for a couple of hours and maybe once a year they will take it down for a Sunday for maintenance.
They are actively building condos, housing development etc.
There is one mall (American style mall) Robinsons and there is a SM Mall planed, but there was some kind of agreement to wait a few years from the building of Robinsons
Hospitals are plentiful, actually some good ones, just built a Dr.'s Hospital here that has American standards of care.
There are many schools here, from private to state, UP has a school here that is considered to be very good.
The airport here has about 14 flights a day to Cebu and Manila, its about 1.5 hours to Manila and .5 to Cebu by air.  All the Philippine carriers operate from here.
Local transportation is easily available, from pedicabs, trikes, Jeepneys, Taxi's but they are somewhat expensive, usually go by the trip not the meter. You can get a bus to anywhere buses can travel throughout the Philippines.  Honestly, I do not avail myself of the lcl transportation much as I have several bikes and and SUV. 
When I got here there were only a couple of car dealers, now we have most of the normal ones...Ford, Chevy, Hundi, Suzuki, Toyota,Mits and Isuzu.   
Several good restaurants, fairly good nightlife, fairly nice golf course etc.
Cops for the most part are honest here, the Superintendent is pretty strict on them but like anywhere here it depends on the cop.
Parking downtown is almost non existent for cars, but once you learn the area you can park close and take trikes, or if you take a motorcycle you can park most anywhere.
What I like about here is you can find most anything you want, without the crime of Cebu and Manila, things you can't find can be ordered from Manila fairly easily.
The mayor here is very forward thinking, the city will do nothing but grow...the cool thing is they keep the provincial flavor and you actually have a chance to meet people.
They have many organizations here they have in the states and other places and you can join, Lions, and Masons come to mind.
In Tanauan they have a very nice range that is available to those who like to shoot.  Though ammo, guns are expensive. One of the great things about Leyte is that you can live in the province in a Nipa hut if you want and its a short commute to Tacloban.  My wife and I live in the city as we have children going to school and I wanted them in Private School.
I plan to stay here, maybe someday if I live that long to see the kids out of school, Ill move out a little to the province and go native.
This is down and dirty, if you have questions don't hesitate to ask.  Semper Fi Lee
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
Re: Tacloban City, Leyte
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »
How many actual supermarkets are there now in Tacloban?

I think some people struggle with the idea that you can have a million or more people on an island and have so few supermarkets.

Last time i checked, there was still only one supermarket in Ormoc City with a population of 150,000 people.

In Palompon, population 50,000, there are 2 large mini marts. Most people shop for what they need in the wet market.

By the way, here is my Tacloban video
Small | Large

I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
Supermarkets like most foreigners consider to be supermarkets, I would have to say two, one at Gasainos downtown and one at the Robinsons mall....The one at Gasainos is much smaller but has a great liquor selection most times.  The one at Robinsons has a lot more stuff, a lot of chips, coffee, things that we are use to...but more expensive.  Robinsons is where when I want steak, I can usually buy an Angus shoulder and have it cut to the thickness you like.  Very expensive for here but the only way you can get a decent steak. 
My wife will not usually shop there as she says its too expensive.   There is a grocery very close to me and the prices are not too bad so if its not too exotic we can usually get stuff there.....most of the time she shops the market as its much cheaper...Lee

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »
Yes

Leyte is about 200 kilometres long. Has maybe a population of 2,000,000 people and has about 3 supermarkets.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »
Ha, ha, never thought about it that way, but your right.   At least two of them are here....I guess if you like a slower pace of life this is a great place, if your into malls....not your cup of tea...Lee

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog