Author Topic: Visiting and researching moving near Tacloban  (Read 2750 times)

Offline BigD61

Visiting and researching moving near Tacloban
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:46:57 AM »
Hi everyone,
We, my wife of 47 years and I have our airline tickets for a months stay in PI mid October through mid November. Our last trip to the Philippines was Sept 1978, a long time ago. We are retired and checking things out to see what is possible. I have been reviewing various forums and find this one to be very sensible with the information that is exchanged. So here goes. I hobby in electronic projects and model RC planes I mostly buy from Asian rim companies.  How is the PI for importing items? Are boxes held for pickup and import tax collector or do they just come to you mail box like I used to in the states?
My wife's kin are from the little village of Barugo, northern Leyte. We do not want to be too close and prefer a smaller city, so Tacloban seems a good candidate. Can anyone share thoughts as to where to look for a house in the surrounding area not in the city? We are setup for our stay near the city so our base is covered. While there where should we visit like a nice resort that the local might go to? Thanks

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Visiting and researching moving near Tacloban
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49:02 AM »
Welcome!
I have had some packages shipped from the US to Cebu and the regular mail took about a month and I had to pick it up at the post office by providing ID and paying p40 and the registered one took one week and it was delivered to our door in our condo in Cebu and again we had to sign for it and pay the p40. I am told we were lucky that they did not charge us customs on the items shipped to us. As with everything in the Philippines it can be hit and miss as to whether you end up paying duties or not. Balikbayan boxes might be one way to ship some items along with personal items but nowadays even those get spot xrayed, so might end up costing you if just electronics were in them.

As for where to find a house I do not know that area but you can start on Ayosdito.ph   http://www.ayosdito.ph/Eastern-Visayas/Leyte/House-and-Lot-for-sale-2040
Sulit.com.ph http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+category/id/28/province/Leyte+-+Tacloban+City/House+and+Lot,+Townhouses+and+Subdivisions
and IslandProperties.com   http://www.islandsproperties.com/properties/leyte.htm
to get some ideas but in my opinion boots on the ground will be the best way to find the place you would like to live in.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »
My only experience with the post office so far is when I received a Priority Mail International Letter (large flat envelope) that was supposed to take 7 to 10 business days. Nothing in it of real value.  About 15 envelopes of mail sent by my mail forwarder which had been collecting since June 1st and I requested delivery on July 31st.  The company dropped it on July 31st and the last entry from USPS on the tracking was August 5th as it left Miami sorting facility.  I assume that is where it departed the U.S. from.  I received a notice from PhilPost at my residence late in the day on August 23rd to pick up as soon as possible from the post office.  The notice said (M-W-F) for pickup.  Well, too late Friday for me to get down to Alabang and Monday (26th) was a holiday.  Went down Wednesday morning (28th) and it was surprisingly painless.  Left home and was back within an hour.  Just lighter the ₱40 for PhilPost and pesos for jeepneys.  One window.  Customs official was at that window also.  By the way, I found rubber stamping on it dated August 14,2013 and marker written 8/14.  So, I guess that is when it arrived.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
Big D61, Well my wife and I live here in Tacloban and have for three years now, I will be leaving the country in late Sept. but should be back by the first week in Oct.  For 10k php you can rent a house here, finding them is somewhat of a problem but they are here...If you want Ill pm you my phone and we can get in touch, I might know someone to help you,  I have never gone to a real estate person as you usually lose money dealing with them.  They have to get paid somehow.  It should not be too hard to find someplace.  Will you have transportation? It helps in being able to get around to look for a place.  What exactly do you want in a place?  How big etc. 
Let me know...Lee
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline BigD61

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 12:34:54 AM »
coleman2347, thanks for the offer. We have a PI phone and expect to receive the SIM card and phone # in a week or so. I will share the PI phone number when I get it. Our travel plans have us flying into Tacloban on Tuesday Oct 22nd. We will be staying with wife's sister who has a vacant home there. The nephew should have electric restored and the placed cleaned up for us. This will likely provide use a base to get setup. I think plans are to rent a auto at the airport. Perhaps we could meet somewhere in the city.
2 addition questions; Want to ship a container with our belonging. Anyone have first hand experience with get it delivered and through customs? Should I not ship hand guns, 9MM pistol & a Rugger 357 revolver. Actually is the any place to shoot them, target ranges?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 01:34:39 AM »
Should I not ship hand guns, 9MM pistol & a Rugger 357 revolver. Actually is there any place to shoot them, target ranges?

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/donttakeyourgunstotown.html
Remember Johnny Cash's song?
"Don't take your guns to town"
           (chorus line)
Don't take your guns to town son
Leave your guns at home Bill
Don't take your guns to town

I'm sure one can find a target shooting range, but will
have to rent the guns and ammo, which won't be cheap!

Read previous topics about guns in the Philippines here:

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=42985.0

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=7726.0
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:47:53 AM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:38:18 AM »
Should I not ship hand guns, 9MM pistol & a Rugger 357 revolver. Actually is the any place to shoot them, target ranges?

BigD61,

Unfortunately for you there is no way to legally ship your firearms into the Philippines.  You'll have to leave them in the US.  If you have no one to leave to with, sell them.  Foreigners are not allowed to own any firearms.  Your wife may apply for firearms permits if she is a Philippine citizen, but you can't own anything.  Take Art's suggestion and read the previous posts on firearms in the Philippines.  If you have further questions on firearms, please send me a PM and I will give you the lowdown on what you can and cannot do. 

Note to all others:  This is not an opportunity to jump in with your opinions on forearms again.  Allow BigD61 time to assimilate the information provided.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:47:40 PM »
HaHa, your wifes village is where I get Tuba from...small world...as I said before, PM me with specific questions,,I'll do my best to answer them...Grey Wolf, has a lot of knowledge about here, pay attention to what he says...this is a whole different ball game to what your use to.  The rules are completely different..even though I thought I had studied most everything before coming here, the learning curve was huge...my advice, read as much as you can, believe about half of it and when you get here and actually see what its like, believe about half of that hahahah....Lee
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 12:34:07 AM »
If you don't want to live where your wife's family live, you could in fact live any where.

My suggestion would be a city with high class medical facilities such as Cebu City and just visit the family. Or they can visit you.

Here is the best hospital in Cebu City.
http://www.chonghua.com.ph/

To get back to Barugo from Cebu City, you can catch the Supercat to Ormoc City.
http://supercat.ph/
It takes 2.5 hours and currently costs P740 one way and P1260 return. Or something close to that. Then at the pier in Ormoc City they have buses and V-Hires waiting to take you to Tacloban. The Tacloban bus is free with your supercat ticket.

I have never ever read a nice word about a resort in Tacloban.

Here is my Tacloban video on Youtube. It is a bit old now but it will give you some idea of what Tacloban is like.
Tacloban City Leyte Small | Large
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 12:41:33 AM »
Neat video, thanks Jim for all your great videos. Tacloban looks more modern than I would have suspected by what people have told me about it and since that video was from 2006, I would bet it has come a long way more since then as well.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog