Author Topic: Philippine Heirloom Rice  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
Philippine Heirloom Rice
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »

Vicky Carlos Garcia is the prime promoter of heirloom rice from the Cordillera region. “I am an activist,” she proudly says.

http://www.heirloomrice.com

Vicky met a Peace Corps volunteer, Mary Hensley, and they started working with seven farmer-friends in 2005. They studied the different heirloom varieties from Ifugao, Mountain Province and Kalinga and the small rice volumes the indigenous people produced.

Soon, as they packaged and sold the heirloom varieties, they promoted the preservation of such rare breeds. Now the membership of their Rice Terraces Farmers Cooperative is around 2,000 members, with about 370 actively involved in heirloom rice farming.

Today, they are the Department of Agriculture’s proud baby, with an export of about 15 metric tons of heirloom rice to the United States and more elsewhere.

"Since I began working on this project almost 10 years ago, it has been my dream to put the native rice from the terraces of northern Luzon in the spotlight for people who care about the food they eat and the families who produce it. I have dreamed of the day when Tinawon and Unoy rice conjure images of the Philippines, just as Jasmine and Basmati rice evoke Thailand and India."

"Cooking and eating good food is a pleasurable experience. It is wonderful to see heirloom rice of the Cordillera shared with people who love to cook and care about their food. Yes, this is not fast food. But this rice is delicious."

"We also believe that heirloom varieties must be preserved because they also embrace a culture and these communities. If we lost all our heirloom seeds, we are a people with no history, no culture. These are the varieties handed down from generation to generation by our forefathers. And our rice terraces farmers will continue to produce these if we continue to buy them. We want the world to know about this and be able to enjoy such Philippine heirloom rice."

"We need to understand the social benefits of buying an heirloom product. It is not only for the farmer’s sustenance. It is for ourselves. For our cultural preservation. Because a people without culture is a people without soul."

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Philippine Heirloom Rice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 09:19:24 PM »
Filipino Rice Tutorial by Mikey Bustos
Filipino Rice Tutorial by Mikey Bustos Small | Large
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Philippine Heirloom Rice
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:56:01 AM »
Vicky Carlos Garcia is the prime promoter of heirloom rice from the Cordillera region. “I am an activist,” she proudly says.

http://www.heirloomrice.com

Vicky met a Peace Corps volunteer, Mary Hensley, and they started working with seven farmer-friends in 2005. They studied the different heirloom varieties from Ifugao, Mountain Province and Kalinga and the small rice volumes the indigenous people produced.

Today, they are the Department of Agriculture’s proud baby, with an export of about 15 metric tons of heirloom rice to the United States and more elsewhere.

Awesome!!!  God Bless Vicky and the other heirloom rice producers!   :)

I may try to get some of this seed rice for our family farm! 
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog