Author Topic: MONEY  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Driver13

MONEY
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
I am thinking of retiring to the province south of Cebu,,is anyone familiar with this area? I also will have about 2000 to 2500 dollars per month in retirement,,,i know everyone is different but I am wondering if this will afford me a comfortable living..any helpl would be appreciated.

Offline footballbatplayer

Re: MONEY
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »
$2000 should be plenty, as long as you keep everything simple. I get $1800 and spend less than or about half that a month depending on what I am doing, the rest goes into savings. I live in Antipolo in the hills.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:13:12 AM »
If you budget well, and can find a place to stay without paying too much, you can live like a king for that amount.  Hopefully you have a smart frugal minded woman waiting for you who will protect you from her family(trust me, there's a very good chance they'll want a lot of your money, read the threads on that), you will be able to really enjoy life for that amount. 

I am not familiar with that area, but with that income, even if you are stuck in an apartment for a year or 2, you should have little problem finding a lot or two and buying them, then building on them.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Driver13

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:05:46 AM »
Thanks everyone,,,i feel relatively comfortable living on my retirement of 2000 USD per month. I am chatting with a lady from the area south of Cebu. She lives in the province,,seems very frugal and money savvy,,,will not accept anything from me,,,she has lived abroad as a housekeeper an nanny,,speaks three languages beside her native tongue. Her family owns a farm and runs a small store. I am hoping to take a vacation there this year,,see her and look around.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
Sounds good, Driver13!  I hope you enjoy every minute of your vacation!  Just curious, and without giving out too much personal info, how far "south of Cebu" are you talking?  Talisay, Naga City, San Fernando, Carcar, Sibonga, Argao, Dalaguete? 
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Driver13

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
GrayWolf,,,let me get my compass out and correct  myself...It is north of Cebu,,,Sogod if I am not mistaken again...know anything about this area?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 11:34:16 PM »
I don't know much about Sogod, never been there.  But from what I can see from online searches it appears to be a sleepy little provincial town, with a nice beach resort.

http://www.alegrebeachresort.com/

I'd definitely consider spending a day or two laying around the resort soaking up the warm surroundings and relaxing.

Perhaps one of our other members has been to the area and can give you a few more helpful tips. 

Best of luck on your vacation!   :)

Louisville, KY USA

Offline Driver13

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:53:55 AM »
Thank you,,,especially the link to the resort,,,i think a couple of days just laying around and soaking up all the sun and quiet I can is called for especially after this winter..lol
Looking forward to some warm weather and scenic beaches.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »
Driver13,

Here is a link and blog about Sogod. Nice pictures too.

http://mycebuphotoblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/sogod-is-so-good/

Have fun when you get here, enjoy and stay safe.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 12:29:28 PM »
A friend of ours drove us to Catmon a couple of years ago and took us up through Sogod and it is a beautiful area but one friend of my wife who used to live there told us that there is a pretty strong contingent of NPA in Sogod, so while the NPA rarely bother foreigners, I do not think I would like to live in Sogod so as to not get in between during possible skirmishes with the military but Catmon might be a good choice since it appears to be a sleepy waterfront town. 

The biggest problem I find with most of the towns that far north of Cebu City is the lack of shopping centers, supermarkets, ATM machines and hospitals.

Living outside Cebu City for the most part is less expensive, so I too believe a person can live very well on 2k a month but IMO they should be sure to live in an area where they have easy access to their money from many sources since taking out large amounts at one time MIGHT make us or our houses a target for crime.

When choosing a place to live, IMO first rent and spend time there and then branch out to see what area fills all, or at least most of our needs. For me with my health issues and as I age, living with hospitals near by gives me and my wife peace of mind and with air conditioned malls in the city gives me a place to walk for much needed exercise.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »
My thought is that there is less as they say, sifting through the chaff than some people like to make it out to be.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:06:43 AM by Gray Wolf »
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
When choosing a place to live, IMO first rent and spend time there and then branch out to see what area fills all, or at least most of our needs. For me with my health issues and as I age, living with hospitals near by gives me and my wife peace of mind and with air conditioned malls in the city gives me a place to walk for much needed exercise.

So right you are. This is exactly what we're going to do. In researching places to live, I've narrowed down areas where we might reside. The center point is Cebu City - so as far south in Minglanilla and up north in Consolacion. We have to be near hospitals, banks, markets, restaurants, and the mall.

I have never been anywhere north of Cebu City, just down south to Boljoon where our farm is. I love the sceneries except when vehicles overtake you or other vehicles. This is so nerve wracking to me.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Fil-CanadianRoy

• BisDak
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 02:47:09 AM »
Hi! I lived in Cebu for 15 years as a university student and as a young engineer before we migrated to Canada. SOGOD is a northern town not far from DANAO CITY where i spent much time with my friends there doing mountain biking and running in the 80s. Theres an upscale resort there ALEGRE BEACH RESORT which has been there for many years. Sogod is a typical Philippine  town, and Cebu has many wonderful places to experience// Roy

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »
Very Pretty place.As far as the NPA.there are many here.some are my friends who Built my house.If you call them my friends.they are very nice people indeed.maybe not all.but the ones here are not aggressive.When I drive thru some of the Jungle here.going down to my friends Private Beach.you will see them.dressed in old BDU's,carrying.M-16 or the old British 303.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:46:14 PM by Gray Wolf »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog