Author Topic: Death, would we even be missed?  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Death, would we even be missed?
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »
I am sure most of us have lost friends and family during our lives, yet I wonder, have most of you made plans for someone to contact your family or friends if the worst should happen? In my case there is my wife and myself although I have nieces and a nephew not that they would even care if I was gone but I do have some close friends that might, so if something were to happen to both of us at the same time, ie and transportation accident etc, who would even know we were gone, or maybe better to ask, how long before anyone knew we were gone.

I have seen and spoke to quite a few expats who seem to want nothing to do with other expats, one such fellow broke my heart but more power to them if that is the way they feel, but should something happen to them and their better half at the same time, would someone know how to contact family and friends?

Forums are a great way to keep in touch and as some may have noticed, when some people disappear, some others ask what has happened to them. I know that I have emailed friends when I was concerned because I did not see them posting or have not had an email from them in a while, but have you planned for something by giving someone you trust contact info? Well if not then maybe you should think about doing it.

Maybe we need a check in section for the forum so members who read daily but never or rarely post, might wish to just click post with a simple comment such as present or whatever comment they might wish to make?  :-\

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
Re: Death, would we even be missed?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:26:58 PM »
Lee,
I think this is a great idea.  Our son lives in California and my siibllings live in California as well. When we travel, we carry our relatives' information (phone number/address) in a small piece of paper - those that we want contacted, just in case. It is good to have a contact person near where you live who will be willing to call relatives of another expat, in case.

Some forum members, like you, are the caring ones. It would be nice to befriend expats like you. I'm sure there are many expats out there who won't mind. :) I know I won't but I'm not an expat - yet. ;)
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Killjoygreg

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:31:03 PM »
That certainly makes sense Lee. When I'm staying in the Philippines I keep regular contact with my family in Australia. However should something happen to me and my wife simultaneously then her family would have no idea how to contact my family overseas. I can imagine the confusion and uncertainty.
Maybe a project for someone with spare time to organize? It wouldn't be for everybody, maybe not even me, but worth consideration.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »
I often wondered that. My solution at the moment is I have the information for my GF that if I die she will open this with details of my banks, tell no one but bury me quietly  - and then continue to use my cards and receive my pension for a few years!

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
That is a good point Lee. I had always thought if anything were to happen to whilst in the Philippines my wife would be able to contact my sons in the UK. But if she were to also die simultaneously (not too unlikely knowing the roads locally!) that would cause complications.

I think that during our next visit I will give my wifes family my sons email details, so they can let thm now if the worst were to happen.
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »
My biological mother died about 11 years ago, just a little over.  My dad remarried and I swear, my step-mom, who is a great woman, loves my ex, and now Tina more than me.  They speak with each other more than I speak with my step-mom.  (well, the ex did, not any more).  I'm not really worried if that time comes, the first person Tina would tell, before even her sisters and her family will probably be my step-mom. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 10:54:44 PM »
That is a good idea Lee.
Also expats should check out the U.S. Embassy web sight. There is a lot of information on everything from birth to death, travel, weather reports, or if something happen back in the states and someone need to find you. You can get emails from the Embassy that warn you about almost anything that's going on.
If you get into trouble over seas the first thing you should do or a family member, Friend should report it to the Embassy.
Anytime we travel I send a copy of our tickets to my family so they know where we will be and they have email address and phone numbers of family members in the Phill.

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »
   I provided a family member and close friened with people and organization, including phone numbers, that need to be contacted in case of emergency.  I also am on the US embassy mailing list, although I get tired of the voting reminders. Since we only spend a few months each year in th Philippines, we try to do what we can to stay aware of what's going on there. In fact we'll be heading back in May and really looking forward to it.

Mike

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 04:11:36 AM »
Lee,
I think this is a great idea.  Our son lives in California and my siibllings live in California as well. When we travel, we carry our relatives' information (phone number/address) in a small piece of paper - those that we want contacted, just in case. It is good to have a contact person near where you live who will be willing to call relatives of another expat, in case.

Some forum members, like you, are the caring ones. It would be nice to befriend expats like you. I'm sure there are many expats out there who won't mind. :) I know I won't but I'm not an expat - yet. ;)
Meylou, please accept my apology for not replying to this sooner, I do not know if I missed it or why I would not have replied but better late than never.
Thank you for the compliment, I do care and I do get concerned when I do not see members on for a long time. You are of course welcome to contact us directly, I will send you our email address and contact number asap, and it would be great to be friends with you, my wife gets along great with just about everyone she meets, so it would be great to add you to our regular contacts.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 05:30:16 AM »
Lee,
It seems that I too did not notice your OP and Meylou's reply from 2 yrs ago, but I do concur with what you and Meylou had to say, "being missed even after death", but most important too, "being missed while still amongst the living".
Ever since we have known each other on forums other than on this one for many years and since we have met you and Nila, we've considered both of you our closest friends, even closer than my own family.
I personally would do anything for you two as long I'm physically, mentally and financially able no matter where we live. It's not often that we meet people like the two of you and we are truly fortunate to have you both as our closets friends. If it weren't for forums, we would have never met you two!
I hope Meylou will read this OP of hers and other replies to it and come back on here to post again just to let us all know that she and her husband are doing well. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:42:13 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 05:53:38 AM »
Lee,
It seems that I too did not notice your OP and Meylou's reply from 2 yrs ago, but I do concur with what you and Meylou had to say, "being missed even after death", but most important too, "being missed while still amongst the living".
Ever since we have known each other on forums other than on this one for many years and since we have met you and Nila, we've considered both of you our closest friends.
I personally would do anything for you two as long I'm physically, mentally and financially able no matter where we live. It's not often that we meet people like the two of you and we are truly fortunate to have you both as our closets friends. If it weren't for forums, we would have never met you two!
I hope Meylou will read this OP of hers and other replies to it and come back on here to post again just to let us all know that she and her husband are doing well.
Thank you Art, we feel the same way about you and Jho, wish we did not live so far away but that is life, but maybe that will change one day.

I sent Meylou a pm and an email, hope she replies. I for the life of me cannot understand how I missed her reply but maybe it was while I was sick, or when my computer crashed, but still no excuse, I should have seen it when I got back on. I do not tend to go back to look at my old posts but lately I have been going over some topics trying to clean up some messed up old threads from the many lost members during the forum software changeover.

Hope we can get up to see you both again one day soon or you can get down to Cebu to visit again. Next year one of our trips is to Mindanao may be in March or April if my health holds up, otherwise Nila will go alone.

To each and every member, cherish your friends, today is a given, tomorrow who knows.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog