Author Topic: PH has slowest internet in Southeast Asia  (Read 10039 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
PH has slowest internet in Southeast Asia
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »
And ranks 158th out of 190 countries. Now if only we could actually get what is promised in speeds here then I would not have been so unhappy with PLDT.

MANILA, Philippines Despite being regarded as the social media capital of the world, the Philippines has the slowest internet speed in the entire Southeast Asian region and is ranked 158th out of 190 countries worldwide.
More on this news article at http://technology.inquirer.net/35596/ph-has-slowest-internet-in-southeast-asia
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: PH has slowest internet in Southeast Asia
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:33:05 PM »
I would be very happy at the SLOW speed of 3.5Mb/s I think I am lucky if I get 1/10th of that  :(

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »
I just looked, seems there is no LTE service in your area, so Colin I guess that is just one price you will have to continue to pay for living in paradise.  ;)

I had a SmartBro plug in device and I tried a Globe Tattoo and neither gave me more than .3mbps so in the draw they stay.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »
I just did an internet speed test a few minutes ago with our PLDT 3Mbps Plan.
I also found out too that there are now a few wifi LTE sites in our area, which
there weren't any last year.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:32:18 PM »
Art the speedtest you are doing is not a true speedtest as you need to pick a place much farther away from the Philippines to get an actual idea of real speeds.

My pocket wifi has slowed down somewhat during peak hours but still is way better than the PLDT I had. Pages load faster and my Magic Jack works perfect when it barely worked quite often on PLDT. Above it a test to Florida.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:34:46 PM by Lee »

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
Doesn't make any sense to me! I'm no whiz kid with computers, but why would I need to do a speed test outside of the Philippines when my actual DSL speed on my internet browser is from my actual internet server in the Philippines! So, therefore my signal is within the Philippines and not outside the country? Who cares what the speeds are in other countries, except for where we live in the Philippines? That's my logic anyways as I see it! Besides, our server is not outside of the Philippines! So, a speed test outside the Philippines would be irrelevant really.   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:02:45 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:18:51 AM »
Art where are the servers the forums are on, they are not in Makati, actually most I know are in the US, where are the servers you search on, so your computer is reaching out of the country whenever you are on most forums or doing most searches and even when downloading movies, therefore a test from your home to those countries is more relevant to actual speed than a test from your house to Makati.

http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/index.html

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:35:20 AM »
Where in the Philippines are most of the call centers? Are they mostly located in a few areas or are they scattered throughout the Philippines?  I would assume highs speed internet would be available in those areas, and if so what speeds?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 03:35:54 AM »
Yes there are call centers all over the Philippines in main cities, so if you move to an area near a call center such as IT Park in Cebu City, then you should get reliable internet there. Some newer areas have fiber optic and there is also broad band fast access in some areas. I guess it will all depend on the area you live in, to what you might get but one thing the providers here are good at saying is "up to sir" so it took me years to get my dsl speeds up to what I was paying for. I do not know all the speeds offered but below is one that I know about. I know there is also Globe and Sky Cable and I am sure there must be other providers in other areas.

PLDT offers up to 10mbps http://pldthome.com/surf/mydsl/upgrades

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 05:46:44 AM »
Art where are the servers the forums are on, they are not in Makati, actually most I know are in the US, where are the servers you search on, so your computer is reaching out of the country whenever you are on most forums or doing most searches and even when downloading movies, therefore a test from your home to those countries is more relevant to actual speed than a test from your house to Makati.
As I mentioned, I'm not a whiz kid about computers and don't know how the internet works! If you say what you say on here, I will believe you! I'm just a "user friendly" kind of guy and only know how to use my mouse and keyboard and how to optimize my PC when it's sluggish! Since I already have an OK DSL speed of 5Mbps, I know it's nothing to do with my PC, server or internet speed, but I know sometimes servers can go down occasionally preventing me from going online and or loading URL sites I use most often as my homepages on my Google Chrome Web Browser! When anyone starts to talk about PC builds or specs or internet technical jargon, I'm at a lost!         
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 09:02:01 AM »
Don't feel bad Art because I too am lost on many things but the reason some internet providers can get away with the slower speeds they give to customers is because most people using the internet have no idea how to even do a speed test, so you have those people beat. I have some neighbors who bragged to me how great their internet is, so I ask them what speed they pay for and what speed they actually get and almost all cannot answer either, they just know it goes on and works most of the time, so they feel it is great.

IMO a hard wired internet like you and many others have is the best way to go for permanent use. I am only here part time and got fed up of the many issues I have had with PLDT during the times we are here because I pay for it by the year, yet only use it while we are here, so I felt that it should work at least close to perfect most of the time while we are here. I am hoping the LTE device will work for my needs but it may or may not as I am pretty sure they cap the amount of use as I feel it has slowed down somewhat in the last week of having it, now approx one month total.

So for me to get back on to the topic, I would like to say that if the Philippines ever wishes to attract more foreigners and more foreigner businesses, then IMO they are going to have to provide better internet service. According to the news article they are rating the Philippines way above the slowest countries, so that says they are definitely improving and I am sure will improve even more as time goes on.

Slowest countries
The Philippines is slightly slower than Central American countries Guatemala which has an average speed of 3.7 Mbps (155th) and Honduras which has 3.8 Mbps (154th).
The Philippines is ahead in the rankings compared to South American countries Paraguay which has speeds of 3.42 Mbps (160th) and Bolivia which has 2.06 Mbps (177th).
At the bottom of the rankings are Syria with 1.57 Mbps (181st), Cuba with 1.54 Mbps (182nd), and African countries Burkina Faso with 0.8 Mbps (189th) and Niger 0.78 Mbps (190th)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 01:48:42 AM »
I sure hope they make improvements, and not just in the big cities.  One of things that is a negative for where we want to live, near Vigan, Ilocos Sur, is the poor internet speeds available.     
Louisville, KY USA

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 12:46:22 AM »
I sure hope they make improvements, and not just in the big cities.  One of things that is a negative for where we want to live, near Vigan, Ilocos Sur, is the poor internet speeds available.   

Yes, for those looking to locate to the Philippines, or relocate from their current location, it is a good idea to check out internet access at an early stage. Disappointment is usually guaranteed.
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 05:09:13 AM »
Yes, for those looking to locate to the Philippines, or relocate from their current location, it is a good idea to check out internet access at an early stage. Disappointment is usually guaranteed.

Very good point Paul, I never had thought about having a terrible internet connection causing me any headaches but keeping in touch with the outside world has been challenging for us over the years due to all the outages we have suffered and the lack of speed. I guess if a person only uses their computer for email and occasional searches, then they probably would not notice it but if a person is on forums, works online or on the phone and has a VOIP phone device, then it could get frustrating at times as it has for me. There had been times when I have had to have my wife shut down her connection on her phone and her tablet and I had to shut down the connection on my phone in order to hear the person I was talking to on my Magic Jack.  :(

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 07:17:04 AM »
That's always been my issue with the internet there.  I don't just read emails or even just work on the forum, I also run a business that sometimes requires receiving attachments in excess of 5MB.  Add to this the need for a good VOIP connection and right away I have problems.  Hopefully things will improve soon. 
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog