Author Topic: Hobbies for expats what are yours?  (Read 9447 times)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: Hobbies for expats what are yours?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 10:46:17 AM »
I have been slowly updating my website, particularly the section on converting photos to paintings. http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/page/Conversion+to+paintings .I have just started using v4 of Digital Auto Painter which has a lot more variables and also includes elements of Mediachance Photo-Reactor. I am not sure of the benefits of Photo-Reactor so need to experiment with both programmes for a while.

My efforts in updating have shown me the need to create a new website so I will be working on that sometime soon :-\. I will post any relevant results.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 01:49:26 PM »
Very nice work, Colin.  :)
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
Everyone is welcome to look at it, but I still have not decided on the final structure yet and also need to expand on some of the entries.

Hi Colin,

I have had a great read of your site and have learnt some things from you, on the design aspects. Yes I agree vents, high up, are the only way to drag the cool air up and away. For me, the only thing I would add to a house like that, would be a complete covered patio, at least 180cm wide. This would help to keep the lower walls cooler, during the day and add to any breezes that reach the house. Another thing I would use on the patio, would be breeze collector (in the form of halved blue drums), spinning drums to generate electricity. Thus reducing your electric bills. Just a thought.

Bruce

quote part repaired. Diba
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:28:32 PM by Diba »

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 07:35:26 AM »

Hi Colin,

I have had a great read of your site and have learnt some things from you, on the design aspects. Yes I agree vents, high up, are the only way to drag the cool air up and away. For me, the only thing I would add to a house like that, would be a complete covered patio, at least 180cm wide. This would help to keep the lower walls cooler, during the day and add to any breezes that reach the house. Another thing I would use on the patio, would be breeze collector (in the form of halved blue drums), spinning drums to generate electricity. Thus reducing your electric bills. Just a thought.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, thanks for the comments.

My original design had a third floor 'Crows Nest' which was partly intended to extract the hot air from the surrounding rooms. This was deleted because it would have added around another P˝ M to the cost and was complicated to prevent any rain getting down the stairs.

The three inches of polystyrene in the centre of all the walls help to keep the interior cool. The walls are cold inside even with the full sun on them all day.

Any way to reduce the cost of electricity here is worthwhile because it is so expensive. Unfortunately we get little breeze here even although we are fairly open. We have mountains to the west and north of us and the sea is almost a mile to the east so the sea breezes don't reach us. In some ways it is a good thing because tornadoes are very rare here as well :)

Something weird is happening with the quote signs ??
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:46:35 AM by Colin »

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
Sorry Colin, there is nothing wrong with the quote, the problem was mine, as I deleted the top part by mistake.

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
    • The Philippine Journal
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 12:14:15 AM »
I have been slowly updating my website, particularly the section on converting photos to paintings. http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/page/Conversion+to+paintings .I have just started using v4 of Digital Auto Painter which has a lot more variables and also includes elements of Mediachance Photo-Reactor. I am not sure of the benefits of Photo-Reactor so need to experiment with both programmes for a while.

My efforts in updating have shown me the need to create a new website so I will be working on that sometime soon :-\. I will post any relevant results.

Iam back again as just plain Colin, complications with the furum softqare led to the BingColin name on my old posts :). Now that the forum is under new management, I am not sure if posting my website adress is acceptable? It does still exist but I only make minor updates occasionally now. I expect to make more changes sometime as I doubt if I will ever find time to create a new one from scratch.
Colin
Puerto Princesa, Palawan & London, UK

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 12:20:24 AM »
Iam back again as just plain Colin, complications with the furum softqare led to the BingColin name on my old posts :). Now that the forum is under new management, I am not sure if posting my website adress is acceptable? It does still exist but I only make minor updates occasionally now. I expect to make more changes sometime as I doubt if I will ever find time to create a new one from scratch.

You are allowed as a senior member to put it in your profile, only senior members or above can put links in their profile but you can also ask to join the senior member plus group, giving you access to the hidden sections of the forum, and then discuss you site in that area. If you wish to join then please post at the following link asking to join. http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=50503.msg72702#new
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »
Before coming to the Philippines my hobby was collecting albums.  Started in the early 70's and I had (still have in storage) a little over 4000 albums.  I also brewed beer.
The military and my previous job kept me quite busy
Growing up without a father I never learned many of the skills you all seem to posses, and I am very envious, as I really am a mechanical retard.
I am still young enough to play basketball each day and can still kick my brothers in laws butts, but that isnt gonna last forever.
I will need to find some kind of hobby for my twilight years.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 01:58:49 AM »
Before coming to the Philippines my hobby was collecting albums.  Started in the early 70's and I had (still have in storage) a little over 4000 albums.  I also brewed beer.
The military and my previous job kept me quite busy
Growing up without a father I never learned many of the skills you all seem to posses, and I am very envious, as I really am a mechanical retard.
I am still young enough to play basketball each day and can still kick my brothers in laws butts, but that isnt gonna last forever.
I will need to find some kind of hobby for my twilight years.

Don't have a hobby but if we move to the PI I will need one unless I have US internet speed haha

Got my dad but was white-collar so didn't teach me any of that stuff.  I'm all self-taught and do alright.  Someone told me anything you screw up can be fixed and that freed me to be more adventurous lol  I just remodeled a bathroom top to bottom myself single handed, tile, flooring, plumbing, all off youtube videos.

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 12:14:02 AM »
My more recent hobby / project, was building a small little pink house in the province. Yes pink, my asawa painted the outside in hot pink, now its a land mark in the town of some 700 ppl, lol. Well over the last 12 months, we have visited and made some more improvements, extensions, upgrades. Now the "pink house" has a small covered porch, a large sela, 3 steps down to the kitchen & CR. Originally there was to 2 bedrooms off the sela, but the family (our builders LOL) got the measurements wrong & the bedrooms were tiny, even by province standards. All walls have been rendered (inside), painted, kitchen & CR are now tiled & painted, a back door has been added, the dirty kitchen has been finally completed with a tiny bedroom on the side, for asawa's single brother to use, even when we visit, so he is not kicked out of the main bedroom inside the house. The windows have louvres added, with glass. The last 4 things that need to be completed are, solid narra doors, some render to be completed on some outside walls, then finish all outside walls with my asawa's signature hot pink paint and in the coming weeks, the electricity will be connected. We only visit & stay for a few days at a time, a couple of times a year, so whilst we are not there, some nephews & nieces use the house & keep it clean, as their family is large & its really crowded in their normal house next door.

The next big thing I am working on, is providing running water, from the local river, to the "pink house". It will be a first for the town, but I am sure, we can work it out and it will be a big hit for the extended family. About 70m from the back door, sloping gently down, then a shape 10-12m drop down the embankment to the actual river. The town gets a constant breeze, coming from the river, so I am looking at a windmill, with pump to draw the water from the river. If this works, I can setup a large in ground water storage system/tank, allowing the extended family to draw water as needed. The river is 20-30m deep & 75m wide. We are going to talk with the barangay captain & probably the Mayor about setting this up, as they can copy from our model to other parts of the town. We really do not expect this to be finished or even started until probably after the new year.

Why the windmill idea? I have built many in Oz and they are low maintenance and can draw water from a big distance or depth, as long as the wind blows. And it blows every time we have been in the province. The hardest part, is building a proper massive concrete tank under ground, then making sure it has a rubber based paint/ sealant. Products are available in the PI, as I helped a friend seal his water storage, in my local town last year. We live in Zambales.

Offline bcnorth

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 11:07:33 PM »
Like Shewmake, I like to write, and like Shewmake, for me, writing is a pleasant hobby. I subscribe to the on-line editions of the Washington Post, the New York Times, the NewYorker, the Economist and the Toronto Globe and Mail. I tell myself I have to be knowledgeable and so I spend my mornings going through the news and taking notes. Next, I do my pushups and then I am off for a walk. In the afternoon I sit in front of the computer trying to get this sentence to make sense and find when I do so, the one I wrote, perhaps a half hour earlier, doesn’t make any sense. If I can get two pages written in a single day, I feel fantastic, but if what I have written is garbage, I have even kicked my computer.

If I tried to make a living by writing I am afraid I would be begging in the streets most of the time. However, the Canadian government has a financial arrangement for writers. Since anyone who borrows a book from a library pays nothing to read the book, for Canadian citizens who write and publish books in Canada the government checks Canada’s public and university libraries. The more libraries that one’s book is found, the more money the government sends to the author each year. However, the number of authors who have books published in Canada increases each year, but the budget to pay them  does not. Last year I received about $225 for having books in libraries. Money continues to be sent to the author each year until the author’s death.  Between the writing and the research I make at the very most about twenty-five to thirty cents an hour! When a book is sold the author gets a royalty of twelve and a half percent of its sales price. The first year a book is published the author does make a bit of money. And a very, very small number of authors become extremely wealthy but most do not. I am one of the “nots”!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 04:10:54 PM »
Shewmake's last post was in May 2014 and he has yet to come back on here since then maybe due to an injury he sustained. A few concerned members on here and myself has tried to get in contact with him to no avail.
As for Colin, he too hasn't yet posted on here since returning to the U.K., except for his last post in Jan of 2016, due too his wife's medical condition back in Jun of 2014. I hope he and his wife Bing are both doing fine.
So, bcnorth I would doubt if they will be able to reply to your post for uncertain reasons I've mentioned.
Anyway, interesting post concerning authors of books in Canada. Do you have any published books recently and what subjects are they?     
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:19:45 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bcnorth

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »
Art,
Perhaps I should be a bit more careful and look at the dates of posts. In reply to your question about any recent publications, I am co-authored with Hou PingPing a book entitled "American Social Culture" that was published by Shandong University Press in 2013. The book is about modern American culture and American politics and government. We had hoped we might title the book simply American Politics, Government, and Social Culture but evidently the press obtained advice from the local CP  that it would be best not to have politics in the title. Needless to say, we followed the party's advice. The book is for senior undergraduate students and Chinese graduate students. In Shandong Province in the PRC every high school graduate has to have four years of English. And at the university level, those students in the arts and social sciences have at a minimum of two years of English and most have four. The book has only been moderately successful as it sells for the equivalent of about six U.S. dollars because it is relatively long. I earlier mentioned that I probably make about thirty cents an hour doing writing and research. American Social Culture was a four and a half year project!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 11:19:12 PM »
What does this quote mean?  "The book is for senior undergraduate students and Chinese graduate students."  You talking about college kids?  Maybe I should not even bother to look for it since it might be too advanced for me.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline bcnorth

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 03:07:03 AM »
BudM,
You asked about the focus of the writing Hou PingPing and I did.  Earlier in 1999 we had edited a book published by Petroleum University Press entitled "Learning English Through Newspaper Readings." Hou PingPing both teaches and does instant interpreting and often is called to do so when an English speaking foreign official is on Chinese radio or TV. She is held in high regard because she is straightforward in interpreting. I taught English in China and after a number of years also taught politics. Hou PingPing was asked by Shandong University Press if we would be interested in putting together a manuscript for Chinese college students. We decided to try and did so. I hope this helps.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog